Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod

Post New Thread Reply   

ElooKoN
        ^_^
Old 06-16-2013 , 10:05   Re: Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie
I get many messages. I'm not able to respond to every one, my apologies.
I also get many messages and I'm not able to reply everyone too. But I asked you a simple question: Do you plan to continue developing ES or not? You answered - but not the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie
I don't know what you're referring to, do you provide game rental services or something? You are welcome to do whatever you like on your service--- do what's best for your customers. It's not my business how you handle your business.
Yes and we have thousands of servers.

I think you do not understand what I really mean. EventScripts is your hobby. You are not committed to do anything. We cannot claim anything and I never would do that. It's not my purpose to query this.

It would be just nice if you would answer my question. But you were not able to answer my question after months.

I have the feeling that you are not really interested to continue with EventScripts - and with this opinion I'm not alone.

This is the reason I removed EventScripts.
Sansaurithbane
Old 06-16-2013 , 13:48   Re: Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElooKoN
It would be just nice if you would answer my question. But you were not able to answer my question after months.
I can't imagine all the messages he might get all the time. I know at my work I have this problem all the time. People say they are so busy and are unable to reply to all messages. Recently I had messages that have been unread for over a year and I got an automatic notification that the message was auto-deleted for inactivity for over a year. I can understand this to a point, but at least it is understandable when you are that popular.

Although I don't like saying it, but after using Eventscripts since 2006, I have finally decided to start using Sourcemod instead. ES still works fine for what I use it for, but the main reason for me switching is that SM also works for l4d/l4d2, tf2, and csgo, which ES I believe only is working for CSS. What I learn from scripting in SM for css I can apply to the other games too. On top of that, I think there are a lot more features available in SM than in ES. Currently I have a bunch of functions in SM converted to console commands so ES can use these commands in my scripts.

Classic ES and ES python were really easy for me to learn, but trying to convert my scripts over to SM is not easy. That was the thing I liked best about ES. Without discovering ES back in 2006, I probably wouldn't be here today because I would have thought that modding your own server was too hard and would require writing VSP's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElooKoN
I think you do not understand what I really mean. EventScripts is your hobby. You are not committed to do anything. We cannot claim anything and I never would do that. It's not my purpose to query this.
I have the same opinion, I know people have busy lives and I understand if there are not instant fixes for multiple game support.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 06-16-2013 , 14:44   Re: Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElooKoN View Post
EventScripts is your hobby.
And SourceMod & Metamod:Source is ours, I don't see how that's relevant when all the possible options are being maintained only because people want to?
Old 06-16-2013 , 15:12   Re: Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod
Reply With Quote #14

So you rage at mattie that he CAN'T spend all his time on something he doesn't get paid for while you do get paid for offering his mod to your customers... sounds fair

Last edited by Zephyrus; 06-16-2013 at 15:14.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-16-2013 , 15:15   Re: Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
So you rage at mattie that he CAN'T spend all his time on something he doesn't get paid before while you do get paid for offering his mod to your customers... sounds fair
I just assumed the advertising money from the ads on the EventScripts site went to Mattie.

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-16-2013 at 15:15.
Zephyrus
Cool Pig B)
Old 06-16-2013 , 15:20   Re: Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
I just assumed the advertising money from the ads on the EventScripts site went to Mattie.
Not sure how much money that would be but keeping up the site costs too, he probably has his own dedi etc

but honestly i don't really care, the fact that he bashes someone who at least did something for the community and made HIM money in the first place is just wrong, without sm and es there would be 1/10 of the servers only if not less

Last edited by Zephyrus; 06-16-2013 at 15:23.
ElooKoN
        ^_^
Old 06-16-2013 , 19:07   Re: Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod
Reply With Quote #17

@Zephyrus: I did not bash anyone. That should be clear if you would read my texts carefully.

@asherkin: Yep but read, I explain it.

As I said it is Matties hobby. Of course. But you should not forget: As hoster, I have to tell the people - who do not know anything - what's the best way to begin with a new server.

That means: If I see and I have the feeling that EventScripts does not have a future I cannot tell my customers to use it. Because then they will start configuring &ct and this will need much time and it is much work.

It makes no sense if the server is broken then and nothing works and all the work was for "the cat".

So I just asked a simple question. I did not bash.

If Mattie says: "Yeah, I've much work and not many time but don't be afraid ES will breaks for 4 weeks after any update" all is perfect. Nobody wants Mattie to create an update within 24 hours. Thats unrealistic, Mattie has enough to do and ES is not OpenSource like SourceMod. But that wasn't required and not my question.

That is all and I hope you understand what I mean. It's great what Mattie has done for the Community and what he will do the next years maybe. Also like the SourceMOD project.
API
Veteran Member
Old 06-16-2013 , 19:43   Re: Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod
Reply With Quote #18

Before this gets locked I have to say this: If you build your business model on someone else's product, do not expect anything less than disappointment when that product is no longer officially supported. This is a risk you took when creating your business. You had every right to build your own product ElookoN. Mattie has no responsibility as an artist to serve you as a client.

tl;dr
Quote:
but honestly i don't really care, the fact that he bashes someone who at least did something for the community and made HIM money in the first place is just wrong

Last edited by API; 06-16-2013 at 19:45.
Send a message via AIM to API
ElooKoN
        ^_^
Old 06-16-2013 , 21:49   Re: Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinjuice View Post
Before this gets locked I have to say this: If you build your business model on someone else's product, do not expect anything less than disappointment when that product is no longer officially supported. This is a risk you took when creating your business. You had every right to build your own product ElookoN. Mattie has no responsibility as an artist to serve you as a client.

tl;dr
That is wrong, we are a hoster. We do not build on someone else's product, we have much work to do and we get the problems if anything does not work - if the server does not work, we are effective respondible for that and there is no difference between a Vanilla Server or a modificated server. We have to invest the money for supporters. We have to answer questions and write tutorials for customers they do not know what they do - because hosting is not only the installation of a service.

But thank you for the answers, as I see many people do not understand my intention. Currently we explicit (only) recommend SourceMod (and personally I donate for this project because I find it good).
Ade
I love purple
Old 06-17-2013 , 03:13   Re: Replacing Matties Eventscripts with SourceMod
Reply With Quote #20

that's also wrong, you should only give working solutions to the customer if the server is windows and he cannot copy dlls by him/herself and if he wants additional, u can offer those too (like put them in a list in game mods in the cpanel); on linux he can put anything he/she wants;
but in no way are you responsible for what the customer installs, as these mods are free and don't come with any warranty and if they don't work, yes, as a good host you can help with installation, setup and troubleshooting, but you're not obligated to do that under any circumstances. that's why there's a forum and hopefully a thread for every plugin released. if you want to write tutorials as well, by all means, and you wouldn't be the first nor the last, but again, it is not your duty; and neither is donating since ur not paying for a service

Last edited by Ade; 06-17-2013 at 03:14.