Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Question regarding plugin behavior when blocking banned player connects.

Post New Thread Reply   

fefobiz
SourceMod Donor
Old 04-30-2013 , 12:40   Question regarding plugin behavior when blocking banned player connects.
Reply With Quote #1

Hello all,

I've stumbled across this issue and I'm not sure what's causing it or if it's intended to work that way. Anyway, I'll try to be as clear as possible.

When a player is banned from the server, he gets the expected "You have been banned by this server, check blabla.com/bans" message. Okay, everything working great right? Nope. If the player tries to connect to my server again for the first time after he gets banned, he will get the same "You have been banned by this server, check blabla.com/bans" message and that's fine.

The problem here is, every time he connects to the server and gets this message, a 5 minutes ban is added to that player and during that time, he will not get the above messages but the regular "You have been banned from this server" message, with no link to our Sourcebans page.

After the 5 minutes ban have passed, he will get the "You have been banned by this server, check blabla.com/bans" message again but another 5 minutes ban will be added and the same thing will happen again until the original ban expires.

Is there a fix for that? I'd like to have the player always get the custom "You have been banned by this server, check blabla.com/bans" message every time he connects because this also messes with the Blocked connection attempts per player on the website.

Thank you all.
DJ Tsunami
DJ Post Spammer
Old 05-01-2013 , 10:34   Re: Question regarding plugin behavior when blocking banned player connects.
Reply With Quote #2

This is by design: when a player connects the MySQL database is asked whether they're banned. If a malicious player spams connects to your server it would also spam your database. To prevent this the current plugin uses Valve's ban system to ban them for 5 minutes so they can't spam connects.

The downside to this is a different kick message, and it can cause bugs in Valve's system. The 1.5.0 beta plugin therefore has its own local database where bans are stored temporarily. There are no plans yet to release 1.5.0 on short term, so if you want that feature now you'll have to implement it yourself.
fefobiz
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-01-2013 , 18:33   Re: Question regarding plugin behavior when blocking banned player connects.
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Tsunami View Post
This is by design: when a player connects the MySQL database is asked whether they're banned. If a malicious player spams connects to your server it would also spam your database. To prevent this the current plugin uses Valve's ban system to ban them for 5 minutes so they can't spam connects.

The downside to this is a different kick message, and it can cause bugs in Valve's system. The 1.5.0 beta plugin therefore has its own local database where bans are stored temporarily. There are no plans yet to release 1.5.0 on short term, so if you want that feature now you'll have to implement it yourself.
Thank you for answering, DJ Tsunami.

If it's working as intended I'll definitely leave it like this.