Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?

Post New Thread Reply   

redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 02-15-2022 , 18:37   [CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?
Reply With Quote #1

I've been stupid for a couple of years regarding hosting a server raw from my computer and internet. For years, I would use either Hamachi or Radmin VPN to get my friends to play, but I don't want any prerequisite needed anymore. I simply want to know how the hell I should port forward (view all the possible options I have below in the image) and get the server up and running for players across the world.

Things I have at the moment:
- whatsmyip (my public IP I should probably use instead of the 192.168 one from HLDS)
- check images for my router settings

1. Virtual Server

Apparently. There are no "Port Forwarding" settings labelled anywhere in my router!
I don't believe that It's not being supported, what the hay is a Virtual Server? Uncle Google suggests that it is simply port forwarding with minor differences such as being able to forward one port at a time?

My HLDS port is 27015

As for the Virtual Server part I tried:
Name: CounterStrike
WAN Port: 27015
LAN IP Address: I tried setting my public from whatsmyip and private ipv4, it says its not a valid IP address, idk why.
LAN Port: 27015
Protocol: TCP/UDP

I swear, it succeeded before, now I can't enter any IP address without having an error thrown at me for being an invalid IP address. Nonetheless, players could not connect to my server.

2. Special Applications

Name: CounterStrike
Trigger Port: 27015
Trigger Protocol: TCP/UDP
Open Protocol: TCP/UDP
Open Port: 27015

Sent my public IP to my friends. They simply can't connect. Tried restarting HLDS, my router, and even my computer. Nothing. Tried my public IP with and without the port and they can't connect.

I was never a fan of port forwarding because of exact reasons, but nowadays It's beyond me and I just want a nice server. I'm not here regarding security consultations about sharing my public IP with people and similar, I just want to host a server over the internet from my computer (Windows 10 Desktop). Internet goes up to 50mbps.
iclassdon
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-15-2022 , 20:28   Re: [CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?
Reply With Quote #2

Use your local IP address and never an external address when doing port forwarding.

Confirm your local IP address first. If using Windows find/open command prompt and enter ipconfig, it will display your local IP address along with other information. Should look like 192.168.1.* depending on what your default gateway is set to. If you need more help in finding this just google "how to find my local ip address"

If all else fails using port forwarding in your routers case "Virtual Server". You could try DMZ but the downside is that it will open all the ports for the local IP address you apply it on instead of just 27015.
Send a message via MSN to iclassdon
redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 02-16-2022 , 07:47   Re: [CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?
Reply With Quote #3

Okay, I've set the ipv4 and it accepts as valid address. What do I give my friends to connect now? Port is 27015.

https://www.canyouseeme.org/ reports error.

Last edited by redivcram; 02-16-2022 at 07:47.
redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 02-16-2022 , 09:04   Re: [CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?
Reply With Quote #4

Don't know what the fuck is going on. I'm probably too braindead for this. Is portchecker even supposed to see the port? Because It's not, no matter what. Obviously, my public IP is what I give to my friends. But why is it not working? DMZ did jack shit.
iclassdon
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-16-2022 , 14:01   Re: [CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?
Reply With Quote #5

You give them your external IP address the one that would show up in that website you linked. They would then use this to connect x.x.x.x:27015.

Take a look at your anti-virus software. The firewall may also be blocking port 27015.

Edit: also make sure that your HLDS network settings are set to Internet and not Lan. Example image attached below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hqdefault.jpg (29.4 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by iclassdon; 02-16-2022 at 15:28.
Send a message via MSN to iclassdon
redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 02-17-2022 , 13:11   Re: [CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?
Reply With Quote #6

I've set the Inbound rules for Port 27015 on both TCP and UDP. Port is still not open...
Tried turning off firewall and disabling my antivirus completely for the lols. Still closed. lol

Last edited by redivcram; 02-17-2022 at 13:15.
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 02-17-2022 , 13:39   Re: [CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?
Reply With Quote #7

Port forwarding usually is bound to a device within your LAN. I don't see anything like that within your pictures. Check if you need to set this somewhere.

redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 02-17-2022 , 13:54   Re: [CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?
Reply With Quote #8

What do you mean? I've set my computer's ipv4 in the input box, if that's what you mean.
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 02-17-2022 , 14:09   Re: [CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?
Reply With Quote #9

If you want to open ports that are none standard ports, you need to tell your router to which device within your LAN these ports have to be routed too. At least it is this way on any router I worked so far.

"Gilt für folgendes Gerät" means: "To be used for device".
I guess this is missing, so your router does not know where to route the incomming data.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Port.jpg (78.6 KB, 97 views)

redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 02-17-2022 , 14:20   Re: [CS] How to port forward and get players to connect?
Reply With Quote #10

Interesting. I don't have that kind of option here.
Still, isn't the device's address enough for that?

Last edited by redivcram; 02-17-2022 at 17:04.