Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Very unusual crash

Post New Thread Reply   

Naydef
Old 07-19-2019 , 14:35   Very unusual crash
Reply With Quote #1

Hi everyone,

For some time a TF2 server, for which I make plugins and bug fixing, is experiencing odd crashes. Especially this one is making me to think that SM doesn't account for source engine calling into engine functions hooked by SM from threads, other than the main one. What makes me think so(not sure, however):
  1. This message "This crash was caused by an extension calling into SourcePawn off the main thread."
  2. Last message in console is client disconnecting with reason "ERROR! Reliable snapshot overflow."
From what I've heard, the engine maintains seperate thread for networking and SendProxy extension is known not to work in SM 1.9 for that reason, due to calling SM from thread other than the main one. Probably the disconnect message itself means something more fatal happened, but It just tries to disconnect the client peacefully. sv_parallel_packentities set to 0 then might prevent that crash. But in this case, no Sendproxy extension is installed and the disconnect message is in the engine. I would expect more predictive scenario, if player disconnect is only done. Actually, I'm sure about nothing so someone else explain me why is this crash happening.

SM 1.10 will be installed soon, so these crashes don't have info for the last called function and plugin, sadly.

Thanks in advance!

Steam:
naydef

Last edited by Naydef; 07-19-2019 at 14:40.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-19-2019 , 16:44   Re: Very unusual crash
Reply With Quote #2

Yes, that is all correct.
Old 07-20-2019 , 15:04   Re: Very unusual crash
Reply With Quote #3

In this case, what's the best thing to do? Clearing sv_parallel_packentities will surely harm performance so I want to avoid it.

Steam:
naydef
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-20-2019 , 15:09   Re: Very unusual crash
Reply With Quote #4

The only thing you can really do is address the cause of the issue (overflowing the reliable network channel), once the engine has made the off-main-thread call into the gamedll it has already violated the API contract, and SourceHook itself is not thread safe either so the hook alone will cause problems down the line.