Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Setting up a SRCDS (CSGO) as an practice environment

Post New Thread Reply   

cin0
Old 04-30-2023 , 11:29   Setting up a SRCDS (CSGO) as an practice environment
Reply With Quote #1

Hello everyone!
I've invested thousands of hours into all the versions of Counter-Strike and just recently started wanting to get my hands on modding the game.

I've already made a long term plan regarding learning the relevant script/programming languages needed. However for starters I want to set up my own private dedicated server as a practice environment.

I have read a lot about how one goes about to make one, but I want to be sure I'm making it right.

Currently, my machine is running Windows 11, and as far as I understand a Linux environment is preferred for running the server. Would it be more convenient for me to run a Linux Distro on a VM and host the server there? If that is the case, is there any specific distro (and VM "supplier") you would recommend? The only time I've dabbled with Linux is using WSL and the Ubuntu terminal for some light C-programming.

I have some very basic knowledge of C and Python. If anyone of you have some advice for a rookie or perhaps could point me to a direction I would be immensely appreciative.

Thank you!
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-30-2023 , 11:39   Re: Setting up a SRCDS (CSGO) as an practice environment
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cin0 View Post
Hello everyone!
I've invested thousands of hours into all the versions of Counter-Strike and just recently started wanting to get my hands on modding the game.

I've already made a long term plan regarding learning the relevant script/programming languages needed. However for starters I want to set up my own private dedicated server as a practice environment.

I have read a lot about how one goes about to make one, but I want to be sure I'm making it right.

Currently, my machine is running Windows 11, and as far as I understand a Linux environment is preferred for running the server. Would it be more convenient for me to run a Linux Distro on a VM and host the server there? If that is the case, is there any specific distro (and VM "supplier") you would recommend? The only time I've dabbled with Linux is using WSL and the Ubuntu terminal for some light C-programming.

I have some very basic knowledge of C and Python. If anyone of you have some advice for a rookie or perhaps could point me to a direction I would be immensely appreciative.

Thank you!
https://windowsgsm.com ??????
cin0
Old 04-30-2023 , 11:43   Re: Setting up a SRCDS (CSGO) as an practice environment
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak.exe_uLow View Post
Welp now I feel embarrassed. Just what I was looking for. Thank you kindly.