Raised This Month: $7 Target: $400
 1% 

Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID

Post New Thread Reply   

Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-16-2008 , 14:23   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #21

That administration panel looks pretty impressive. I like the idea of automatically banning previously banned players using a different account. Do you use set_user_info(), IP address or another method?

Last edited by Lee; 01-16-2008 at 14:28.
Scuzzy
Old 01-16-2008 , 15:54   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
That administration panel looks pretty impressive. I like the idea of automatically banning previously banned players using a different account. Do you use set_user_info(), IP address or another method?
Thank you. We have a perl process that watches the database and server for bans. It executes the following process once an account has been perm banned:

1) Get all IPs registered for the account, search for all steam-ids associated with that IP.
2) Ban all IDs associated with that IP. Check all IPs for each account banned for additional accounts, repeating the process.

This trees out and finds and removes all associated accounts in a recursive process.

We don't only run this process on accounts that have been banned though. If an account that was previously banned connects to the server we log the "denied" connection and save the IP. We then run that IP through the process above and nuke an previously undected new accounts of the "LLama".

But wait, there's more!

If an unbanned account connects to the server we check the IP of that account against the IPs of all previously banned accounts. If that player is playing from the same IP that a previously banned account has, they're immediately banned as well.

We don't like Llamas. We don't like it when they return. I also hate "cafe" accounts, we have more idiots play from steam cafes then I care to count. Nothing like total inaccountability to make someone as asshat in a server. This pretty much eliminates them.

Scuzzy
KMFrog
Old 01-16-2008 , 19:19   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #23

And also eliminates anyone with a dynamic IP address on the same ISP as "the banned"?
Old 01-16-2008 , 22:05   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFrog View Post
And also eliminates anyone with a dynamic IP address on the same ISP as "the banned"?
You mean it one guy gets banned, gives up his IP addr and another guy with the same game gets that IP and trys to connect to our server? Yes. We did think of that, but considering the requirements the statistical chances are pretty slim:

1) They both have to have the same ISP
2) They have to have Dynamic IPS.
3) One has to be banned.
4) The second has to get that bad IP.
5) They have to both play Steam Games, either TFC/FF/TF2 (Out of the hundreds of thousands of players)
6) They both have to choose our server (out of the 4000+ available in North America alone)

Scuzzy
KMFrog
Old 01-17-2008 , 10:17   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #25

1) "big popular" ISPs are often filling multiple slots on any server
2) If they are on the same ISP, chances are they are both on dynamic addressing
3) A ban increases the chance your system will fail :p
4) Each ISP will have its own way of doing things, some rotate IP addresses automatically so the chances could be quite high
5) True, but hundreds of thousands of players only increases the chance your system will fail
6) If the ISP has a good route to your server, chances are people from the same ISP will join due to the lower pings

Plus, you will not be able to identify "false bans" as you could not have a method to verify the identity of the people banned. If we all had static IP addresses, this system would be great - but most domestic connections have a dynamic IP address. If you have lots of bans due to your IP tracking, then personally I would be a bit worried about who I'm banning

Also, you might want to keep in mind that most kids with a cafe account probably ritually change their IP address to avoid IP bans & mask their identity.

If I were in your place, I would only track multiple bans from the same IP address. Once an address has reached a pre-set limit only then would I wipe out the IP. Its far from perfect though, and the same problems still apply - just the chances of banning the wrong people are less due to the "ban limit" buffer.

I'm just picking holes anyway, don't mind me - I'm a system whore :]
Old 01-17-2008 , 12:20   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFrog
If I were in your place, I would only track multiple bans from the same IP address. Once an address has reached a pre-set limit only then would I wipe out the IP. Its far from perfect though, and the same problems still apply - just the chances of banning the wrong people are less due to the "ban limit" buffer.

I'm just picking holes anyway, don't mind me - I'm a system whore :]
I understand the worry, but we've had the system for years and it's worked well. 99% of this type of ban are two people are playing from the same IP the same night. I'm not aware of how many people have dynamic IPs, most companys issue an IP and so long as the computer reconnects to the network in the next week they keep that IP (from what I've seen in the U.S.). Back in the days of dialup I'd completely agree with you. We've had 75228 unbanned people connect to our server over the last 3 years. Of those 75228 people:
74921 had 9 IPs or less
198 had between 10-19 IPs
79 had between 20 and 49 IPs
24 people had between 50 and 100
6 had above 100 IPs
It may untentionally ban one or two people out of a few hundred thousand, but I think the margin for error is pretty small. We've also received 0 complaints that a ban was incorrect because of this reason, and we get unban requests every day. We're more willing to crack a few eggs then deal with Llamas over and over again. There are plenty of good servers to play on, being limited away from ours doesn't really hurt anyone.

Scuzzy
[kirk]./musick`
Old 01-17-2008 , 19:06   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #27

Wow, very nice find!
Send a message via AIM to [kirk]./musick`
Maurice
Old 01-18-2008 , 11:45   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #28

In the first posts of this topic i readed it would be possible to get the steamcommunity information from every desired steamID. If this is correct it would be the plugin or software i need because the player with STEAMID *********** discovered my rcon password due unknown reason. The same IP also hacked my website. To prevent this in the future i've to fix the leak and need to know how he did it. Therefor i need all the info i can get about the the STEAMID **********.

If possible i hope someone can help me to get more information about STEAMID ************.

Last edited by Maurice; 01-22-2008 at 04:16. Reason: Removed the STEAMID
Scuzzy
Old 01-19-2008 , 21:42   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #29

BTW, for anyone interested in doing this strictly in mySQL, like a trigger to calculate this field when you create a player record... I found some issues getting mySQL to actually ADD the numbers together. I finally came up with this:

Code:

cast(mid(steam_id,9,1)  as unsigned) + cast('76561197960265728' as unsigned) + cast(mid(steam_id, 11,10)*2 as unsigned)
That did it appropriately. (but make sure you're not getting a false steam id, like "STEAM_ID_LAN")

Cheers,
Scuzzy
Maurice
Old 01-21-2008 , 05:17   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #30

You are awesome Scuzzy! This is really the steamcommunity ID i was looking for and now i can get in touch witch the person that broke into my server. I've only one more question Scuzzy. Would it be possible that you remove the steamid out of my quoted reply because i don't want that this hacker know i'm looking for him. If you remove it i will remove it from my post to, if you don't want to remove it's fine to because you helped me already so much!