Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Automatic Bot Names

Post New Thread Reply   

Narwhal
Old 06-19-2010 , 16:21   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #21

No longer works in TF2? I compiled this from source for my server. I have botnames.smx in my ./addons/sourcemod/plugins folder and botnames.txt with nothing commented out in my ./addons/sourcemod/configs folder. The plugin loads and shows no errors, but the bot names do not change from the Valve defaults. I've tried sm_botnames_reload, reloading the plugin, and even restarting the server, all with no such luck. It worked previously when I had it running before the most recent batch of bot updates.

Anybody having any luck getting this to work with the "intelligent" TF2 bots?
agrif
Old 07-03-2010 , 16:27   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #22

I've lost access to a source server for development after an upgrade where I didn't reinstall (out of lazyness). Sorry for not updating this when it broke! Rest assured that it is on my (admittedly pretty long) todo list.

As for the performance hog issue, off the top of my head I can't say why that's happening at all . That's clearly absurd, though, so I'll look into it when I fix the other stuff.

Now that it's summer, I have a lot of free time, but also a lot of stuff to work on. I promise I'll get to it eventually, but if anyone feels adventurous patches are always welcome.
DeaD_EyE82
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-08-2010 , 09:34   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrif View Post
I've lost access to a source server for development after an upgrade where I didn't reinstall (out of lazyness).
Do you need access to an dedicated Server?

sourceserver.info
Send a message via ICQ to DeaD_EyE82
agrif
Old 07-08-2010 , 13:41   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaD_EyE82 View Post
Do you need access to an dedicated Server?
No, I just need to find time to reinstall. What I've been working on this week will be done today, so this is next.
agrif
Old 07-09-2010 , 23:16   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
The plugin loads and shows no errors, but the bot names do not change from the Valve defaults. I've tried sm_botnames_reload, reloading the plugin, and even restarting the server, all with no such luck. It worked previously when I had it running before the most recent batch of bot updates.
I just installed a TF2 server on my linux box, and it's working fine. Maybe an update fixed it again? Try updating your server to the Engie update. If it still doesn't work, try recompiling. I really have no idea what's going on.

Quick Edit: Okay, I see what might be causing this now. Adding bots directly via tf_bot_add to an empty server works, but somehow having them automatically added doesn't, at least for me. I'll look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willgtl View Post
108, Ø32.1
Timeout, Ø32.1
53, Ø46.1
810, Ø186.9
168, Ø224.5
79, Ø209.9
708, Ø259.8
558, Ø347.4
422, Ø370.0
Timeout, Ø330.4
560, Ø384.7

[IMG]http://img231.**************/img231/5397/11913626.png[/IMG]

^Red is when I had the plugin running, green is not running. Yeah, this plugin owns my server.

btw, ran it on a CS:S server.
To be honest, I'm a little lost with these numbers, and is the graph CPU? Memory? I'm not noticing any increase on either with my TF2 server, but it might be just a CS:S thing. Also, are you removing the plugin entirely to disable it, or just setting sm_botnames_enabled to 0?

Just to make sure the obvious is out of the way: you are still running bots while the plugin is off, right?

I've been meaning to get a copy of CS:S for a while now... looks like this is a good time.

Last edited by agrif; 07-09-2010 at 23:29.
imoda
Old 07-28-2010 , 21:12   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #26

I too am having a problem. I currently have

Code:
tf_bot_quota_mode fill
tf_bot_quota 8
In my server.cfg so I always have 8 players in the server. These players get the standard TF2 bot names. However, if I later use "tf_bot_add" I get a bot added with a name specified in my botnames.txt
agrif
Old 07-29-2010 , 00:10   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoda View Post
These players get the standard TF2 bot names. However, if I later use "tf_bot_add" I get a bot added with a name specified in my botnames.txt
That's what I'm getting, too. I'm glad someone's confirmed this, now I'm willing to bet that this is what's causing Narwhal's problems. Still no idea what's up with willgtl's problem, though.

A fix is coming. I'm still trying to get back into my SourceMod groove; it's been a while.
imoda
Old 07-30-2010 , 13:16   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #28

Hmmm, it seems to work perfectly for my Counter Strike: Source server. I really wish it would work for TF2.
agrif
Old 07-30-2010 , 19:05   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #29

Automatic Bot Names version 1.1

Alright, I've updated this plugin to work with the new auto-fill TF2 bots, but the solution is not as nice as I'd like.

Basically, these bots are renamed by Valve's code after they join a team, and this rename is not affected by name change limits. My code is, though. All I can do right now is wait long enough after a team join and rename the bots again.

Simply put, auto-fill bots will be renamed 10 seconds after they are created. All other bots (and CS:S bots) should continue to be named appropriately right when they're created.

Note
:
As a technicality, the "announce" feature has been dumbed down and will no longer print out bot names with the message. Since this is kinda dumb, I've also set sm_botnames_announce to "0" by default, and I recommend you change this setting on your server as well.

I've only tested this alone on my private TF2 server, so I'm interested to know how this works (especially in CS:S). In the meantime, I'll try to figure out a better way to do this. If anyone knows how to completely block name changes, I'd like to know.
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (botnames.sp - 1099 views - 10.1 KB)
imoda
Old 07-31-2010 , 01:56   Re: Automatic Bot Names
Reply With Quote #30

That'll work for now. The point of bots is to trick people into thinking the server is full, so as long as they don't view the players during those 10 seconds it's fine.

Will test this in TF2 now.

Edit:

Appears to be working on initial map change or when I manually change tf_bot_quota. I will monitor my server to check that they get renamed consistently as players connect/disconnect.

Edit 2:

It works. Thanks for this update.

+1 Internets.

Last edited by imoda; 07-31-2010 at 02:19.