Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

AMX Mod X better than AMX Mod Original?

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Lucas
Old 03-24-2004 , 21:18   AMX Mod X better than AMX Mod Original?

I am interested in this software, but I want to know if it really is better than the original. If so, why is it better? What bugs fixed? What new useful features? etc, help me see if I should get it.

Thanks & Regards
BigBaller
Veteran Member
Old 03-24-2004 , 21:22  

Maybe read the changelog included with AMXX Download?

QwertyAccess
Veteran Member
Old 03-24-2004 , 22:05  

Its better in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2004 , 22:11   Lucas

Lucas,
I think it runs smoother, I think metamodX supports Condition Zero now, and I will tell you a little secret...

Shuuush.... Don't Tell anyone but...

the OLD amx is not being updated anymore..

It will be our little secret..
Send a message via MSN to MagicShot Send a message via Yahoo to MagicShot
DoubleTap
Veteran Member
Old 03-24-2004 , 23:13  

The main attraction for you may be hidden in the fanclubs messages. I would not say it is better now, but it will be. AMX is no longer supported so eventually there may be things that break your AMX, lord knows Steam breaks something new every update.

I dont use AMXX yet, and though I am not alone, here I am in the minority. When I a few more of the good coders have their stuff fixed I will go for AMXX, it is the future. For the present it is a good test bed, may even be stable if you run a fairly standard server. Most of the coders dont have servers and dont give a damn about them (Read for the other threads for yourself). If it works on their test server with bots, it's your fault it dont run in real life.

The GOOD coders will make good stuff, dont let the plugins for smoking blunts and hacking your users (execclient) fool you (We had those on AMX too). MOST of the good coders are here, some retired in all the hoopla, other pissed at Steam, those remaining are here. Some are trying to port their plugins before they are hijacked by others (Sorry, can't say hijacked with no GPL from what they say).

Within a month, I am quite sure this will be a good product... Now you see fanboys claiming major decreases in CPU usage and real hosts saying the new stuff is killing them, weigh that as you like, I discount the fanboys myself. Most of them didn't do squat for AMX but now have multiple plugins for AMXX that they "ported" before the authors and call their own (Which is okay in an open source environment) using their new coding skills and the convertor.

Most likely this message will be deleted, though it is not harsh or a lie, but I hope you see it prior to that. I am like you, someone wondering what makes it better. I see the potential and I want it, I am just not a fanboy and like to call things straight. The good coders are mostly here, some of them are running the show, the rest are dealing with the friends of those running the show who aren't very well mannered... why should they be ? We are only the customer, they are the coders...

Vic/DT

P.S. Look on AMX for the names of all of us that responded to determine who is who !
Old 03-24-2004 , 23:52  

I share a lot of the same opinions as DoubleTap. I still use AMX, but know that one day (probably soon) I will climb the fence over to AMXX. Whether Steam breaks AMX and forces me to, or I see a reason to, it is inevitable.

I too am watching AMXX, waiting for v1.0 to come out, hoping for good things - Stability, good support, great plugins, etc etc. With the team thats on-board here, and seeing what they have accomplished so far, I know it will not be disappointing.

As I've posted before, the main reason to convert over is because AMXX is the evolution of AMX -- the future. It will be updated to compensate with Steam and its unpredictable changes to CS, AMX on the otherhand will not.

SiRi

Visit our 32 Slot AMX server at 67.18.254.148:27015
and check our website for more AMX servers.
BAILOPAN
Old 03-24-2004 , 23:59  

It will also be updated to Half-Life 2. Behind the scenes this port is already being planned.
Veteran Member
Old 03-25-2004 , 01:21  

It will also be updated to Half Life 3
Old 03-25-2004 , 08:48  

With HL2 and probably CS2, it makes you wonder how much life will remain in this type of game. Many in the community were lost with Steam coming onboard, I lost two clan members to this day who cannot get Steam working. CS2 will fragment a two (1.5/1.6) tiered group once more. Part of CS's popularity still, is the price, I dont know of any game that had more life then my old Half-Life CD.

Now with costs for HL2, probably additional for CS2, and the loss of folks thru that cost and or the costs neeed to play on a competitive level since these games will have more eye candy...

Just makes ya wonder...

Vic/DT
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 03-26-2004 , 04:15  

it will be like witj quake 1, qw, q2, q3 ...