Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

is community server dying globally?

Post New Thread Reply   

wolvez04
Old 11-25-2018 , 20:20   Re: is community server dying globally?
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmybrain View Post
What kind of evidence do you want? I mean, it's extremely easy to find out yourself... so I don't really understand what you're asking for.
You have none so it's not a fact it's just your personall speculation. CSGOs player count is doing quite well besides a slight decline. This slight decline would effect community servers as well and could possibly refer to the "dying" that you are speculating. No evidence to suggest that community servers are dying just a dip is CSGOs average player count.

ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 11-26-2018 , 06:33   Re: is community server dying globally?
Reply With Quote #22

I'm not talking about player count. I'm talking about server count (which you can find) and percentage of servers that are empty (which I hope to God you can also find)

Golly, no wonder you were so confused

Last edited by ghostofmybrain; 11-26-2018 at 06:34.
comodder
Old 11-27-2018 , 15:10   Re: is community server dying globally?
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbish View Post
tf2, css, csgo community server users have been drastically decreased in my country.
Disclaimer: This is from my extensive experience in one game's community. The same may not be true in other games. For example CS 1.6 here is better, community is pro open source, has websites & community forums unlike the game I talked about below. I don't know about other games as I have not played them enough to comment on.

Honestly in some ways it's a good thing. Where I come from, India, community servers are -100 to +10, most under 0. What I mean to say is most community servers are just servers for small friend groups that don't have user passwords. Admins ban without any reason, cheat themselves & most players just suck up to them. If you are an Admin's friend, u can do whatever the f*** you want no one's gonna raise their voice. The whole foresaken scandal is a prime example of how he was thick with the admins and got to cheat all the way through ESL India tournament!. Ahh the politics, favoritism, is just filthy!

Then there are ones who DOS attack your server & boast how they are a hacker & how they "DDOSed" the server!. For GOD SAKE ITS A DOS YOU IDIOT!!

Then there's the no steam side of things which alliedmodders is highly allergic to, oh god!. Please buy the game

In fact every kid here wants to have his own server on the internet. The "community servers" here are on the rise, but for all the wrong reasons!. They even copy the exact name (trademark infringement?. They use "tm" in their names (lol!)). Some steal plugins, others shamelessly claim credit for plugins they haven't written a single line of code for!.

It gets worse, since most these "kids" just use ready made servers from mother russia!, they just add their branding in the chat, saying the server has an anticheat named after themselves (Usually SMAC / KAC/ Detox) and BOOM, they don't even enable voting plugins or rtv!. U can't even mute a mic spammer!

Yesterday some guy (a reputable member in the community here) was trying to sell SMAC rebranded in his name for $50. A quick chat with him proved he had no programming knowledge. A quick connect to his server showed the chat advertisement of his anticheat. But a quick check showed he was using the base SMAC 0.8.6.0. This is not the first time something like this has happened, there's one such person on this forum too but I won't name him.

For these reasons, it's best to have official servers, where there is equality, quality & responsibility.

Last edited by comodder; 11-28-2018 at 04:53. Reason: Important disclaimer
comodder
Old 11-27-2018 , 15:15   Re: is community server dying globally?
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
The biggest decline for CS:GO communities came recently when Valve disabled the ability to server ads through MOTD. Which goes to show that their revenue to stay alive came purely from ads and not from contributions/donations from their player base. Along with some communities who relied on their MOTD to server content that was necessary for players to perform certain actions.
Guess who alliedmodders are going to support lol:rofl: XD!

Next time someone asks about MOTD, alliedmodders be like "It's against Vavle terms, sorry no help... GET OUTTA HERE"!!! XD

Please don't ban me <3
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 11-27-2018 , 15:32   Re: is community server dying globally?
Reply With Quote #25

Thats ludicrous comodder
Old 11-27-2018 , 15:57   Re: is community server dying globally?
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by comodder View Post
Guess who alliedmodders are going to support lol:rofl: XD!

Next time someone asks about MOTD, alliedmodders be like "It's against Vavle terms, sorry no help... GET OUTTA HERE"!!! XD

Please don't ban me <3
What?
Starbish
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-27-2018 , 21:02   Re: is community server dying globally?
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8guawong View Post
the korea zombie server seems to be doing pretty well?

I'm talking about average person or sum of all players in my country
Old 11-28-2018 , 04:33   Re: is community server dying globally?
Reply With Quote #28

Ok, I was kidding when I wrote the reply for MOTD disabling by Valve. On a more serious note, what would be the reply of alliedmodders if someone asks for a workaround for this because they need ads to maintain their server or serve content?.
comodder
Old 11-28-2018 , 05:15   Re: is community server dying globally?
Reply With Quote #29

Before we go into the death of the community servers, I'd like to take a minute to diagnose it's health. How's the conditions of community servers in your countries? How do they differ on game to game basis? How have they changed in the last 5 yrs?

I am looking for symptoms or factors server like up time, server quality & reliability (any server issues that lag, broken skins/ textures, any other technical issues), admins and player base (toxicity, admin abuse, etc), transparency in stats/ranking, bans, plugins & mods used, maps, etc., petty server wars & politics (dosing other's servers & calling it ddos -_-).

For example, in 1 of the CS games, it's not too uncommon here for cheaters to pay server owners for adminship & hence cheat themselves, only to snub & ban anyone who raise their voice against them. This is discouraging to new players. This comes under the admins & player base / community factor.

At the end of the day, the question is, does the community gaming scene have any inherent weaknesses, that encourage players to use official game servers?.

We must have a deep look within ourselves before we point the finger at Valve or any other game company.

Disclaimer: I am very pro community server / dedicated server, I highly value the idea of being able to host your own dedicated server to play with friends as per your wish, to be able to support a game's multiplayer mode for the community long after the official game company has closed it's servers. Dedicated servers are a boon and should never die.
comodder
Old 11-28-2018 , 05:46   Re: is community server dying globally?
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
Only Valve knows, everything else is pure speculation.
Because even Valve knows not all "illegal" plugins are harmful plugins, even Valve knows there's nothing useful in trying to fix something that isn't broken.

For example, bot ping is a plugin that I find hilarious because newbie players think the bot is a real player & give it call outs. Valve saw it as a method to dupe players, even though players can easily check if it's a bot or a human through "server info" in server browser. The plugin was cursed as insidious on the forums here. Imagine if Valve went on banning servers for such insignificant plugins. They'd gain nothing except hate from community server hosts. They are much better off making more skins & finding ways to cash in on the skin mafia!.

That said, they must be working on a new smarter way to find real dangerous plugins while ignoring the harmless ones like bot ping.