Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] Zombie Fortress (current version: 2.1.1)

Post New Thread Reply   

gamma
Old 09-21-2008 , 04:37   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress
Reply With Quote #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arg! View Post
Just some perspective on the constant death of zombies. This game mode is not regular TF2, it should be expected that zombies will die a lot, thats how zombie survival has always been played. Dont forget this is not a new idea, its just been ported to TF2.

Personally id just like to see the game mode end properly on map change, this way it could be added to the normal rotation to give players something new every once in a while.
It's not new idea, it's game stile from CS:S Zombies
And in CS:S it much fun to play cos zombies slow and got 5,000 hp
JazzCP
Old 09-21-2008 , 08:58   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress
Reply With Quote #32

We are having no such problems. Sometimes it bugs out and gives you a heavy with a baseball bat after round end, or the gates are already open before the end of setup, but other than that it is awesome!

By god, this is fun! We are having a big game night with it tonight on here:

208.167.245.219:27015

Password will be: "warp" (no quotes)

Everyone is invited!
Sirot
Old 09-21-2008 , 11:00   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress
Reply With Quote #33

I'm going to be out today, but expect a ZF 1.0.1 sometime monday or tuesday.
hearts
Old 09-21-2008 , 18:23   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress
Reply With Quote #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirot View Post
I'm going to be out today, but expect a ZF 1.0.1 sometime monday or tuesday.
I found this on fpsbanana. http://www.fpsbanana.com/threads/97405 it has the perfect details on how it should be.

If you are to lazy to click the link, I will copy and paste it here

"Now, we all know zombies are the coolest thing since, well zombies. There are plenty of games featuring them, most notably Half Life, Half Life 2, CSS, and Left 4 Dead to name a few. While playing TF2 the other day, I wondered what it would be like to mow down hordes of zombie as a Heavy, using Sasha to deal massive damage to the undead. Or even as a pyro, to burn those zombies back to death. Tell me what you think of a TF2 zombie mod.

Scout: Scout remains the same. His speed would be matched with that of a zombie, and the ability to double jump and shoot a weapon is basically what sets him apart from the zombie.

Soldier Soldier remains the same, except for a small increase in speed to put him at odds with the default speed setting. Ability to rocketjump and inflict damage upon zombies at the same time is a plus.

Pyro Pyro receives a substantial ammo increase, more than everyone else's except for Heavy. Pyro moves at a reasonable pace, and has the ability to push back zombies with fire, so he's OK.

Demoman Demoman's grenades receive a damage powerup. The grenades would be more powerful and have a shorter fuse. This allows for better chance of inflicting boom damage on a running zombie. He may or may not get a speed powerup.

Heavy Receives a large speed powerup. As is, Heavy would be one of the first to be killed by a zombie. Heavy receives a large ammo upgrade as well, putting the ammo counter around 500-600. Still slows down when prepping weapon for fire, but it is proportional to the default slowdown, so he will still be faster than the regular run speed in regular TF2.

Engineer Engineer's build times are substantially decreased, and has 1000 metal to build with. This allows for rapid upgrade on the Turrets, and a building of a Dispenser as well. As a major added feature, he will be able to build a barricade, if someone figures out how to create a new entity and incorporate it.

Medic Medic's needlegun will be MUCH more powerful. He will also be able to heal players who have been damaged by a zombie, rather than killed.

Sniper Instant 100% charge on all scoped shots, and thats about it.

Spy Ability to cloak for MUCH longer periods of time, and the ability to run faster while cloaked, as well as to attack while cloaked."
The Unknown
Old 09-21-2008 , 18:28   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress
Reply With Quote #35

i like those ideas better than the current ones..
hearts
Old 09-21-2008 , 18:28   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress
Reply With Quote #36

Here was a reply to that post as well.

"For many months I was a huge fan of Zombie Mod for CSS until I got overwhelmingly pissed off at all the admin abuse going on with almost every server.

I'm glad you're enthusiastic, Knite, but buffing almost every class means that becoming a zombie will be dreadfully boring and give you a huge disadvantage. Being a zombie should also be fun, and with the right kind of teamwork, should make an attack on the humans a success. Since humans can use ranged weapons and zombies only have melee, the humans with turrets and guns need to be nerfed. Otherwise players will only want to be humans, and the game's lack of balance will be its downfall.

That being said, there needs to be a huge amount of testing done to ensure balance between both teams.

Another thing that will be an incredible challenge is the maps that will need to be created for this game. All of the TF2 maps that have been made, with a few exceptions, are made after considering the fact that both teams will be able to shoot at each other. These maps haven't been made with the mindset that one team will only be allowed to melee. I can only think of one exception where a zombie mod type of game would be fun on a map - cp_smbcastle (the one with the catapults that toss you into the castle). Having zombies fly over your head into your castle would make things pretty suspenseful.

One last thing: The Engineer class will need to be changed the most. The power of a level 3 turret would be hugely unfair, but there are a few things to balance it.

a) Reduce the knockback effect from the turret. This will allow teamwork from a horde of zombies to overwhelm the turret and destroy it.
b) Reduce the firing speed and retain the knockback. Same as above, just done a little differently.
c) Remove the rockets, or severely limit the rocket firing rate.

Otherwise the humans will all be engineers for obvious reasons."

Last edited by hearts; 09-21-2008 at 18:31.
ratty
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-21-2008 , 22:35   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress
Reply With Quote #37

This is a bold undertaking to be sure..
I have a suggestion, and dont worry, I wont be offended if its not used:

Make it an arena map, and force 90% (or whatever) of the player count to the zombie team. It could make sure to rotate through too so nobody is forced to zombie for too long.

That would mean ditching the whole "when killed by a zombie you join the other team" thing, but heres some reasons to do it.
  • If someone is stuck as a zombie, they won't have to wait as long
  • It would ensure that the humans always have a decent sized hoard swarming them instead of having it escalate as humans are killed.
  • Humans can win by wiping out the zombie threat.
Since 90% of the players are zombies each round, it still can have that feeling of being overwhelmed, but at the same time, have some hope that you can actually exterminate the zombies.

Last edited by ratty; 09-21-2008 at 22:40.
gamma
Old 09-22-2008 , 05:05   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress
Reply With Quote #38

OK, here is my view of nice zombie mod for TF2.

Humans: all classes except Scout,Heavy,Spy
Humans- All weapon as orginal only 4x more ammo(Example Soldier Rocket Launcher: 16 in RL and 64 in back pack or where ever it is)
Sentry- 6x more ammo, 100hp

Zombies: Scout,Heavy,Spy (ghost zombie)
Scout- 300hp,400 speed,50 damage from melee, 5hp/sec regeneration.
Heavy - 2000hp, 180 speed, 150 damage from melee, 5hp/sec regeneration.
Spy - 50hp,300 speed, 300 damage,8x time long invis-cloak, no PDA, no sapper, 5hp/sec regeneration.

I can actually do it all by my own, by changing scripts, but i don't have free server for it.

We need zombie maps with physical items like in CS:S to block corners, i believe it easy to remake one from CS:S. I'll do that later

Last edited by gamma; 09-22-2008 at 05:15.
The Unknown
Old 09-22-2008 , 14:23   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress
Reply With Quote #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma View Post
We need zombie maps with physical items like in CS:S to block corners, i believe it easy to remake one from CS:S. I'll do that later
I will love you if you do this...
Neo Cool Dude
Old 09-22-2008 , 14:26   Re: [TF2] Zombie Fortress
Reply With Quote #40

I would just like better maps for this mode, the current one has a lot of nice detail but gameplay wise it's lacking. Also with new features please make cvars so admins have options.
And I would like a cvar to change the starting zombie percentage.