Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)

Post New Thread Reply   

desynced
Old 06-26-2011 , 15:11   Re: [TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)
Reply With Quote #61

Just wanted to thank you for this plugin. Got tired of people being idiots, then when they get banned, they come back with a free account and continue being an idiot.
BonkAddict
Old 06-26-2011 , 19:22   Re: [TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)
Reply With Quote #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerdn1 View Post
Which plugins are you using?
Turns out my problem had nothing to do with this plugin.
apollo729
Old 06-27-2011 , 04:03   Re: [TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)
Reply With Quote #63

The people running this plugin understand that they are going to be bouncing enough people to get their server delisted by Valve's internal rating system?

Kigen raised the issue here but no one seems to have seen that reply.

The relevant quote from Valve's post about the internal server scoring system:
Quote:
In short, servers that have lots of players joining & leaving rapidly will score badly. Servers that consistently have players join and stay on for long periods of time will score well.
Quote:
Our first step in improving this part of the player experience has been to delist all the really bad servers. The master server will simply stop giving these to you when you fire up the serverbrowser. After that, we're going to keep improving our ability to measure this kind of problem.
In short, score badly long enough and get de-listed. Each Free to Play player getting kicked from your server costs 15 points, it won't take very long in relative terms for your server to be de-listed from the master list.
Old 06-27-2011 , 05:06   Re: [TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)
Reply With Quote #64

Well, several plugins are going to hurt servers with this stupid idea. Anyone using SourceBans will get hurt because every time someone that joins that is banned, will hurt the server. Any time you sign onto a server and get kicked off due to "slot reservation" is going to get hurt. Anyone that uses this plugin is going to get hurt. Seems Valve is shooting themselves in the foot here. I dont see why this plugin would hurt them as if f2p players cant join servers, it would encourage then to pay the $5 minimum funding and upgrade to a premium account.
napalm00
Veteran Member
Old 06-27-2011 , 08:29   Re: [TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)
Reply With Quote #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo729 View Post
The people running this plugin understand that they are going to be bouncing enough people to get their server delisted by Valve's internal rating system?

In short, score badly long enough and get de-listed. Each Free to Play player getting kicked from your server costs 15 points, it won't take very long in relative terms for your server to be de-listed from the master list.
you do realise that post was made on March 12, 2009 ?
xomp
BANNED
Old 06-27-2011 , 10:13   Re: [TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)
Reply With Quote #66

Quote:

The reason why nobody is listening to Kigen and his "warnings" is because nobody cares.

Strange, I had to ban a F2P speed hacker this morning and according to VAC my server is "Trending Upwards" and in "Good" standing. Is your Mind = Blown?
Send a message via Skype™ to xomp
apollo729
Old 06-27-2011 , 11:32   Re: [TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)
Reply With Quote #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by desynced View Post
Well, several plugins are going to hurt servers with this stupid idea. Anyone using SourceBans will get hurt because every time someone that joins that is banned, will hurt the server. Any time you sign onto a server and get kicked off due to "slot reservation" is going to get hurt. Anyone that uses this plugin is going to get hurt. Seems Valve is shooting themselves in the foot here. I dont see why this plugin would hurt them as if f2p players cant join servers, it would encourage then to pay the $5 minimum funding and upgrade to a premium account.
I laid out in clear and plain text why this will hurt. SM keeps logs, look at how many people you are kicking per day and compare that to this, since 12-17-08 SourceBans on our servers have blocked 2797 players. In the 2 days after the patch our servers have seen 4000+ new players on each day as per our stats tracking. We've been around a very long while, and having days where we get over 600 new people per day is very rare.

The age of Valve's post doesn't matter, the server scoring system is in use.

Mathematically speaking, the potential for this plugin to get your server kicked off the master list is some what high.

All I am saying here is that all the facts should be laid out and server admins can judge for them selves.
Old 06-27-2011 , 11:45   Re: [TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)
Reply With Quote #68

Quote:
The age of Valve's post doesn't matter, the server scoring system is in use.
As far as I know it scores, but does not delist currently (or ever has).
Since if you're using this plugin you already have SteamTools installed, anyone concerned can compile themselves a copy of the test plugin (linked in the SteamTools thread) and run the sm_printserverreputation command.

Quote:
All I am saying here is that all the facts should be laid out and server admins can judge for them selves.
I did this in SourcePawn because it was simple and easy to do, should your concerns turn out to even be valid, it's really easy to make it a MM:S plugin that does not have the same (possible) side-affect.
Old 06-27-2011 , 15:24   Re: [TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)
Reply With Quote #69

@asherkin good work!

I have a question
what message does the user see if he is kicked by this mod? can he tell he was kicked because he is a free player?
Hammerfallerz
Old 06-27-2011 , 16:21   Re: [TF2] Free2BeKicked (Anti-F2P)
Reply With Quote #70

Can you please add whitelist? Admin writes freebie's SteamID and he will be able to join.