Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

integrated country info

Post New Thread Reply   

knocker
Old 03-23-2004 , 18:30   integrated country info
Reply With Quote #1

what about an integrated country info from each client? so plugins can see which language the user is able to understand (at night many english/swedish/danish/spanish speaking people join my "german" server).
because i have many messages written in german and many edited plugins i am sometimes not sure if everybody understands what some plugins do.
a combination of a country info and multi language support from the plugins would do big thing for some people.

i know it is for most people easy to speak english or understand most messages. but it is much more comfortable for my players to read their native language ;)
disadvantage of this system: coders would have to do some more lines.

another way could be a central language file which contains all messages in different languages. in this file you could allow certain languages. if a string is not found in this file for a language the standard english message will be used.

what do you mean?
Send a message via ICQ to knocker
xeroblood
BANNED
Old 03-23-2004 , 19:30  
Reply With Quote #2

that would be cool!! t would save me from needing translation for my plugin!!
Send a message via MSN to xeroblood
[RED-Designs]
Old 03-23-2004 , 19:31   Re: integrated country info
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knocker
what about an integrated country info from each client? so plugins can see which language the user is able to understand (at night many english/swedish/danish/spanish speaking people join my "german" server).
because i have many messages written in german and many edited plugins i am sometimes not sure if everybody understands what some plugins do.
a combination of a country info and multi language support from the plugins would do big thing for some people.

i know it is for most people easy to speak english or understand most messages. but it is much more comfortable for my players to read their native language ;)
disadvantage of this system: coders would have to do some more lines.

another way could be a central language file which contains all messages in different languages. in this file you could allow certain languages. if a string is not found in this file for a language the standard english message will be used.

what do you mean?
I have thought about this. I think it should be done in a way where when they join they are presented with a menu on the left of their screen with "Native Language:", this would then make plugins which support multiple languages go by this language for that user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroblood
that would be cool!! t would save me from needing translation for my plugin!!
You'd probibly have to just add some extra lines of code and rework some parts.
would seriously disturb the relations of some
of the former inhabitants." - Charles Darwin
Send a message via AIM to [RED-Designs] Send a message via MSN to [RED-Designs] Send a message via Yahoo to [RED-Designs]
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 03-23-2004 , 20:04  
Reply With Quote #4

At one time.. there was a project somewhere to have all plugins support as many laungages as possible - the client used a setinfo to identify which they wanted, and the server sent their messages in that laungage
I don't know what happened to it though
You could always check sv_region
Old 03-24-2004 , 07:53  
Reply With Quote #5

a little unpraticle having a variable for every string. would be over 150 per language alone for warcraf3. and you would have to rewrite plugins to not send mesages to all players (id 0).

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure how good it would work
Send a message via ICQ to DopeFish
[RED-Designs]
Old 03-24-2004 , 08:27  
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeFish
a little unpraticle having a variable for every string. would be over 150 per language alone for warcraf3. and you would have to rewrite plugins to not send mesages to all players (id 0).

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure how good it would work
I know its not practicle, but would do good for small servers just wanting to fit their other groups of users. I never said it wouldnt be work to add such support into third party plugins
would seriously disturb the relations of some
of the former inhabitants." - Charles Darwin
Send a message via AIM to [RED-Designs] Send a message via MSN to [RED-Designs] Send a message via Yahoo to [RED-Designs]