Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Solved Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?

Post New Thread Reply   

WhiteFang1319
Old 07-31-2017 , 03:13   Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello. I've been using Amx 1.8.2 for the past years and it's been stable more than any Amx version (except ReAmx 1.8.3). Now that I've known that they won't release a new build I want to know that is Amx 1.8.3 stable enough for using on servers? I know support for added for Rehlds and Regamedll, which is great. Also on official website it says: 1.8, stable branch;so I'm curious. Just need your opinions ..

Last edited by WhiteFang1319; 08-24-2017 at 08:33.
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-31-2017 , 05:40   Re: Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?
Reply With Quote #2

1.8.3 is in development, which means that while it has many new features and more and more features are added, occasionally a bug pops up. It's usually fixed quickly as soon as someone reports them, but you should know that you may encounter some. You'll also have to update AMXX on your server regularly because of these things.
It's up to you, but by just running 1.8.3 on your server you help the development team in finding bugs (given that you report them).
WhiteFang1319
Old 08-06-2017 , 01:44   Re: Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KliPPy View Post
1.8.3 is in development, which means that while it has many new features and more and more features are added, occasionally a bug pops up. It's usually fixed quickly as soon as someone reports them, but you should know that you may encounter some. You'll also have to update AMXX on your server regularly because of these things.
It's up to you, but by just running 1.8.3 on your server you help the development team in finding bugs (given that you report them).
Thanks for your response. I do know that it's in development and the chances of bug coming. I wanted to ask if its stable because the last time I tried it on my server with recompiling all the plugins the server cpu usage was more and fps was less.
Arkshine
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 08-06-2017 , 04:23   Re: Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?
Reply With Quote #4

Considering the amount of optimization made, It's quite hard to believe it. I know someone who upgraded to this version was surprised how the CPU overall was much lowered. Maybe there is some unforeseen context, OS included, but there is no "big" change in the core/module, it's more cleaning, fixing, improving, modernizing code here and there (less bloated code, better memory/cpu management, better stability). It should perform better. That's said, I did not compare personally. If you have time, maybe you could try to see what library (core/modules) is concerned?

Last edited by Arkshine; 08-06-2017 at 04:46.
XINLEI
me too
Old 08-06-2017 , 10:47   Re: Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?
Reply With Quote #5

I have a question regarding this, Some plugins are using now 'deprecated' natives. Does this affects the way in how the plugin works?

Last edited by XINLEI; 08-06-2017 at 10:47.
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-06-2017 , 11:22   Re: Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?
Reply With Quote #6

Plugins using deprecated functionality will work as they did before. What "deprecated" means is that there's new functionality (like a native or a forward) that should be used instead. The reason may be that the new thing is much better or it actually fixes something.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:42
Arkshine
This message has been deleted by Arkshine. Reason: ninja'd
WhiteFang1319
Old 08-06-2017 , 12:15   Re: Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkshine View Post
Considering the amount of optimization made, It's quite hard to believe it. I know someone who upgraded to this version was surprised how the CPU overall was much lowered. Maybe there is some unforeseen context, OS included, but there is no "big" change in the core/module, it's more cleaning, fixing, improving, modernizing code here and there (less bloated code, better memory/cpu management, better stability). It should perform better. That's said, I did not compare personally. If you have time, maybe you could try to see what library (core/modules) is concerned?
Thanks. It did seem the same to me at first time. Cpu usage was low ( for both reamx and amx 1.8.3) but later it was laggy while 1.8.2 was stable and running fine for me..Maybe it's just my fault with some optimizations because I've done config with the same but with different os and it was stable..The system specs also played a part I guess... Didn't had the time to compare. I'll try it next time
Depresie
Veteran Member
Old 08-12-2017 , 14:09   Re: Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?
Reply With Quote #8

ReAmxx was made only for ReHLDS and now it is obsolete, do not use it..
Try using amxx 1.8.3 with a fresh install..
Old 08-16-2017 , 10:30   Re: Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?
Reply With Quote #9

It's stable.

Alot of people think 1.8.3 is unstable because of what happened 4 years ago when the steampipe beta update kicked in, the dev team rushed to update amxx for the new version (along side with metamod), and they haven't implanted all the new stuff due to lack of time to actually check all the new changes.
Old 08-16-2017 , 12:15   Re: Is Amx 1.8.3 Stable?
Reply With Quote #10

You should keep not updating the amxx itself, you're making a huge changelog and it isn't documented. From 1.8.2 to 1.8.3 there are more core change than from 1.7 to 1.8, and that's a huge mistake. Commits should be stopped and 1.8.3 being threated as a final version. Aiming to an stable version is what we need to do.

Last edited by meTaLiCroSS; 08-16-2017 at 12:15.