Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[REQUEST] Permanent link to latest stable build

Post New Thread Reply   

UltimateByte
Old 08-27-2016 , 10:07   [REQUEST] Permanent link to latest stable build
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

Working on an auto-installer/updater for several mods into Linux Game Server Managers
After discussing it here, seems like there is currently no way to get a permanent link to the latest stable build.
Github releases contains only source code and stops to an outdated 1.7.x, and with the latest.php URL, you still have to input a build number manually. This is good already, but not good enough for long term support.

As said here, for now, we have
Code:
http://sourcemod.net/latest.php?os=<os>&version=<majorVersion>
While something like this would be more appreciated (the "recommended" being enough for our usage)
Code:
http://sourcemod.net/latest.php?os=<os>&branch=<recommended/stable/beta/dev>
The best solution though, would be to have latest (COMPILED!!) stable build into the github releases section. That way, i could use the github API and it'd be awesome. I'd get the version number, and in the same time the ability to compare versions quite easilly, without overloading your servers.

Alternatively, i could scrape http://www.sourcemod.net/smdrop/ if there was a distinction between dev and stable branches, so that i could pick the latest stable one, but there isn't any currently. There could also be a recommended version somewhere that i could use to then scrape the smdrop/version and find the latest build, hoping that the naming don't change.

I don't know the amount of work it would require to add such a feature according to your current way of managing versions, just asking.
If it's possible, then awesome. If not, then we're gonna have to hardcode the version number into LGSM, possibly leading to loads of outdated SourceMod versions.

Hopefully we can sort it out.
Thanks for your attention.

Last edited by UltimateByte; 08-30-2016 at 12:10. Reason: git source code
TheWho
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-28-2016 , 04:28   Re: [REQUEST] Permanent link to latest stable build
Reply With Quote #2

I'd like a static stable link as well, some month ago I wrote my autoupdate bash but I was to lazy to use some weird regular expressions so I just grab the link manually but at least it's still faster than full manually.
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 08-28-2016 , 07:57   Re: [REQUEST] Permanent link to latest stable build
Reply With Quote #3

latest.php is your best bet to get latest rolling release of SM
stable:
PHP Code:
http://sourcemod.net/latest.php?os=<os>&version=1.8 
dev:
PHP Code:
http://sourcemod.net/latest.php?os=<os>&version=1.9 
Old 08-30-2016 , 11:50   Re: [REQUEST] Permanent link to latest stable build
Reply With Quote #4

@WildCard65 and @TheWho
The whole point of LGSM is to automate server installation, allow for easy start/stop/update/monitoring... And soon, some mods will be supported, including SM.
If i hardcode the version number, hundred if not thousands of outdated SM will be installed once the 1.9 becomes stable, until somebody notices and changes LGSM's code. And even after we would have updated LGSM, people will still need to apply the LGSM update in order to update SM, which would quite frankly suck.

Last edited by UltimateByte; 08-30-2016 at 12:11. Reason: details
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-30-2016 , 12:31   Re: [REQUEST] Permanent link to latest stable build
Reply With Quote #5

Looking at it more, it gave me the idea of implementing something for myself to try because I find it to be an overall better solution (my opinion). As it seems like giving the client the option to download which version they want when prompted for an install is what most server owns would want.

SourceMod Installation Version
  1. 1.7 (out of date)
  2. 1.8 (stable)
  3. 1.9 (development)
Are you sure? (Y/N)

MetaMod Installation Version...

With this in mind, I also looked into creating an option for LGSM auto-update, and deciding between a cronjob install or a web query for owners to utilize if they don't know already about cronjob options. This is most likely since the LGSM main site stripped out all this good information and require you to go to the wiki to find it now, and I know a lot of people have asked me after installing about this option. Which shows people don't use the wiki at all which is a bummer.

Edit: If this were to be implemented I wouldn't have an issue updating the SM and MM version for LGSM, as it would take only a minute to update once in a great while.

Last edited by Maxximou5; 08-30-2016 at 12:34. Reason: more info
UltimateByte
Old 08-30-2016 , 14:42   Re: [REQUEST] Permanent link to latest stable build
Reply With Quote #6

@Maxximou5 Menu or not, the problem is still the same. Even if the community could eventually help notifying when there is an update, i think it'd be more if we don't have to worry about other plugin's development on top of LGSM's own development.

Other issue with a menu : once installed, can we get the version number from files, so that if the user runs an update it won't ask every single time what version to install ? (update process musn't have any prompt as most people use it as a cronjob).

Last edited by UltimateByte; 09-03-2016 at 06:26.