Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Need tips on server requirement & hosting

Post New Thread Reply   

greybird
Old 12-27-2015 , 10:44   Need tips on server requirement & hosting
Reply With Quote #1

After about 2 weeks of testing my csgo zombie server on my pc i decided i will try to make an official server, i hosted a css server back in the day but it was for my friends only which didn't go over 10 players, hence why i need advice. So for running 1 srcds server on windows, csgo 64 player 128 tick specifically, is a dual core like i3s or maybe even pentiums gonna cut it? because i heard it is single threaded, if so i won't see any improvement over an i7 no? 8gb of ram is sufficient? requirements decrease if i switch to Linux (i haven't used it)?
Connection wise i checked and seems i will need 25mbs connection which means i will have to upgrade my current connection. An alternative would be hosting, it sure will relieve me of some trouble, do you know of any good/reliable hosts? let me know please & thank you for your collaboration.
Snaggle
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-27-2015 , 11:05   Re: Need tips on server requirement & hosting
Reply With Quote #2

If you plan on keeping the server on 24/7, then I'd suggest going with a host. Not all ISPs allow you to host a server if you're a residential customer and it'd probably cost you more in internet speed upgrades/electricity costs keeping your PC on all day, than it would paying a monthly host.

There was a thread on these forums somewhere with some links to hosts and user feedback, but these forums appear to be loading very slowly today so I can't find it just now.
DrFallen
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-27-2015 , 11:22   Re: Need tips on server requirement & hosting
Reply With Quote #3

As tempting as home hosting may sound it will cause you far more issues than conventional hosting. I'd get to learn Linux doesn't matter which distro just the one you want to learn as you will see a difference in terms of stability and performance.

There are a bunch of providers out there all of which I haven't used in a long time ever since self containing my hosting network but I'd suggest staying away from multiplay they suffer badly from DDOS attacks and their interface is just bearly fit for a 5 year old to use.

Ideally you will be looking for a 100 mbit connection if you can get more for a better cost then all is very well. You'll be looking at a dual core since it's only going to have around 10 players if you are going the dedicated route the very low end atoms and celerons/Pentiums won't cut it. Look more for Xeon L series as they can be picked up fairly cheaply.
greybird
Old 12-27-2015 , 13:47   Re: Need tips on server requirement & hosting
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggle View Post
There was a thread on these forums somewhere with some links to hosts and user feedback, but these forums appear to be loading very slowly today so I can't find it just now.
Yep thats why i think it is less hassle to use a host provider, thanks for info and please post back if you find that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFallen View Post
There are a bunch of providers out there all of which I haven't used in a long time ever since self containing my hosting network but I'd suggest staying away from multiplay they suffer badly from DDOS attacks and their interface is just bearly fit for a 5 year old to use.

Ideally you will be looking for a 100 mbit connection if you can get more for a better cost then all is very well. You'll be looking at a dual core since it's only going to have around 10 players if you are going the dedicated route the very low end atoms and celerons/Pentiums won't cut it. Look more for Xeon L series as they can be picked up fairly cheaply.
I'm planning for 64 player not 10, i meant high end pentiums/celerons/i3s because if srcds is single threaded then there wont be need for more cores & will perform better than old xeons, thank you for infos.
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 12-29-2015 , 02:43   Re: Need tips on server requirement & hosting
Reply With Quote #5

You wont get 64 slots at 128 tick unless u have some crazy new CPU with really high speed memory channels and memory.

64 players at 64 tick will require a newer cpu. Some crapy i3 or pentium processor wont have a chance.
Old 12-29-2015 , 10:15   Re: Need tips on server requirement & hosting
Reply With Quote #6

when you have your 64 slots 128 tick zombie server up please lemme know
Old 12-29-2015 , 16:14   Re: Need tips on server requirement & hosting
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuro Toxin View Post
You wont get 64 slots at 128 tick unless u have some crazy new CPU with really high speed memory channels and memory.

64 players at 64 tick will require a newer cpu. Some crapy i3 or pentium processor wont have a chance.
Thank you, didn't know that 64 @128 tick was impossible lol but that was my purpose in the first place to get new info, does memory speed affect? i didn't know that. One thing i don't get is that people are underestimating celerons, pentiums & i3s, if srcds is single-threaded there shouldn't be a difference between dual cores and octa cores in term of performance that is if both cpus are on same architecture and clock speeds.
8guawong
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-29-2015 , 17:30   Re: Need tips on server requirement & hosting
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybird View Post
Thank you, didn't know that 64 @128 tick was impossible lol but that was my purpose in the first place to get new info, does memory speed affect? i didn't know that. One thing i don't get is that people are underestimating celerons, pentiums & i3s, if srcds is single-threaded there shouldn't be a difference between dual cores and octa cores in term of performance that is if both cpus are on same architecture and clock speeds.
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=276409

maybe you can do the experiment for every1
i'm not rich enough to do it
Old 12-29-2015 , 17:47   Re: Need tips on server requirement & hosting
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8guawong View Post
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=276409

maybe you can do the experiment for every1
i'm not rich enough to do it
I don't have spare money for experiments lol if i had i wouldn't have made this thread in the first place