Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Aimbot Detection - Too many false detections & bans

Post New Thread Reply   

404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 02-12-2012 , 16:05   Aimbot Detection - Too many false detections & bans
Reply With Quote #1

So it seems as of late, SourceMod Anti-Cheat's aimbot detection plugin has been falsely banning some of my players for apparently aimbotting.

I've had to set the "number of detections before ban" CVAR to 0 to prevent the plugin from banning people wrongfully.

I've also noticed quite a large number of apparent aimbot detections in my logs, and the detection # (the time # that the plugin has detected a player who is apparently aimbotting) is usually always off.

Like, on one line, it'll say it detected <ExamplePlayer> aimbotting, 2nd detection, then on the next line it'll say it detected <ExamplePlayer> aimbotting, 1st detection.

Hopefully someone can look into this because I had to unban quite a large number of "regulars" on my server who I know aren't aimbotting, due to these little "malfunctions".

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 02-12-2012 at 16:07.
jackliu92
Old 02-12-2012 , 20:29   Re: Aimbot Detection - Too many false detections & bans
Reply With Quote #2

I am using Anti-aimbot on my server, people who dont hack with aimbot never appear in the log for example i am on my servers but never being detect once. Also professional players never being detect too. Are u running 3rd party plugin that cause this problem? what game are u rinning btw?
Old 02-12-2012 , 21:20   Re: Aimbot Detection - Too many false detections & bans
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
I've also noticed quite a large number of apparent aimbot detections in my logs, and the detection # (the time # that the plugin has detected a player who is apparently aimbotting) is usually always off.

Like, on one line, it'll say it detected <ExamplePlayer> aimbotting, 2nd detection, then on the next line it'll say it detected <ExamplePlayer> aimbotting, 1st detection.
The module clears a detection every 10 minutes or so regardless of whether a detection occurred during this time. That's normal behavior and not a malfunction of any sort.

Quote:
So it seems as of late, SourceMod Anti-Cheat's aimbot detection plugin has been falsely banning some of my players for apparently aimbotting.

I've had to set the "number of detections before ban" CVAR to 0 to prevent the plugin from banning people wrongfully.

Hopefully someone can look into this because I had to unban quite a large number of "regulars" on my server who I know aren't aimbotting, due to these little "malfunctions".
Can you verify you're running the current SMAC version of 0.7.6.4. Also, what game is this occurring on and can you set smac_log_verbose to 1. If you see another one of your regulars getting detected after that can you post the logs so we can see?

Last edited by TheAvengers2; 02-12-2012 at 21:31.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 02-13-2012 , 01:52   Re: Aimbot Detection - Too many false detections & bans
Reply With Quote #4

Game: TF2
SourceMod: Latest snapshot
SMAC: I use the plugin autoupdater, so I'm pretty sure my SMAC is up to date.
Other: I don't use anything else other than the Horsemann/MONOCULUS Spawner, Godmode for Admins, Lo-Fi Beacon Deluxe, and the basic SourceMod plugins.

But yeah, I had to turn off the ability for the detector to ban because first, I was in the server standing around talking to this guy who was also standing around (talking about items and shit). All of a sudden, inchat message that everyone saw, declaring that SMAC had detected that he was aimbotting. We were in the spawn room, standing still.

The second and final nail in the coffin was a few days after the above. Woke up to find I had received a ton of messages from my players about "that stupid fuckin' SMAC thing just banned so-and-so". So I had to unban him and apologize about the false detection.

I'm not really worried about getting it up and running again. All I'm saying is that this thing is logging way too many detections per day, and all on innocent people who aren't aimbotting.

And here's the log extract from the guy who wrongfully got perma'd by the aimbot thing:

IP/Steam ID removed on request
Quote:
L 02/11/2012 - 21:09:00: [smac_aimbot.smx] Mr. Gummy Walrus is suspected of using an aimbot. (Detection #2) (Deviation: 50°)
L 02/11/2012 - 21:09:14: [smac_aimbot.smx] Mr. Gummy Walrus is suspected of using an aimbot. (Detection #3) (Deviation: 59°)
L 02/11/2012 - 21:10;39: [smac_aimbot.smx] Mr. Gummy Walrus is suspected of using an aimbot. (Detection #4) (Deviation: 67°)
L 02/11/2012 - 21:10;39: [smac_aimbot.smx] Mr. Gummy Walrus was banned for using an aimbot.
I know the guy, he's not an aimbotter or a cheater. So yeah, all in all, I'm going to continue using SMAC, just not the aimbot detection system after this latest goof-up by the system.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 02-13-2012 at 01:53.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 02-13-2012 , 03:31   Re: Aimbot Detection - Too many false detections & bans
Reply With Quote #5

Nothing significant has changed with this module in a long time. Do you know exactly what causes a false detection on your server? Can you enable verbose logging for the next time it happens?

Players "standing around and talking" obviously shouldn't be detected, but I haven't heard this before, which means it might be specific to your server setup. Listing all of your plugins/exts would help too.

Last edited by GoD-Tony; 02-13-2012 at 03:32.
TheAvengers2
BANNED
Old 02-14-2012 , 00:59   Re: Aimbot Detection - Too many false detections & bans
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
SMAC: I use the plugin autoupdater, so I'm pretty sure my SMAC is up to date.
That may or may not be true. I'm not sure whether this still happens or not, but I remember that even after the autoupdater updated the files. I would still have to either restart the server or manually reload the plugins before the updated ones took effect. Additionally, some gsp have very strict firewall settings that may go as far as blocking outgoing access to port 80 and consequentially rendering the autoupdater useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
Listing all of your plugins/exts would help too.
I'm not sure how you plan on listing this information abrandnewday, but I'd recommend doing it via the output of these two commands (in case you weren't) to ensure a complete listing with version #s included:

rcon sm exts list
rcon sm plugins list

Also make sure to give all the output.

Last edited by TheAvengers2; 02-14-2012 at 01:21.