Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Solved [L4D2] Some server issues including local host

Post New Thread Reply   

Maku
Old 10-07-2021 , 20:06   [L4D2] Some server issues including local host
Reply With Quote #1

Yesterday, I was able to play normally with our server. But somehow today we couldn't connect to the server and it keeps saying connection failed after 10 retries.

I haven't changed anything and I don't know what is causing it really.

We've also tried local host, but my friends ended up in a forever loading screen with and without the -insecure launch options.

I asked my friend to do a local host to check if he can host (He has no plugins or anything related to modded server stuff unlike mine), but we also had a loading screen with black bar after awhile which is the same problem when I hosted locally.

It worked fine when we joined another dedicated server which is probably somewhere close to the EU server since our ping were at least 33ms.

Not sure what to do and not certain if it is related to the steam outage yesterday. But I have to wait until tomorrow I guess to test it out with them again.

Someone in the l4d2 discussion also posted about the connection failed after 10 retries and saying that he/she can't join any game. Normally the local host would work perfectly fine if the dedicated server failed, but since I can't do local host and my friend without any plugins couldn't locally host one either. I am kind of struggling to understand if it is something related to steam or it is something else.

Last edited by Maku; 10-08-2021 at 15:01. Reason: Fixed accidental double-post
Morning
Old 10-08-2021 , 07:22   Re: [L4D2] Some server issues including local host
Reply With Quote #2

The problem you're describing is almost always related to network connection issues such as firewall / NAT / port forwarding. It's not a steam issue. Both local host and dedicated server use the same configuration.

Once you fix the above, and server is running, open up the l4d2 developer console and type

Code:
connect externalIP:port
If it doesnt connect, something is blocking the connection or there is no route to the server on that port. There are a lot of guides out there on how to configure port forwarding on your router for l4d2, or how to allow apps to be able to accept incoming connections. Check google.
Maku
Old 10-08-2021 , 14:37   Re: [L4D2] Some server issues including local host
Reply With Quote #3

All right, I'll try, thanks.

When I opened the Srcds, it asked me about allowing it on Firewall even though I port forwarded it already.