Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Mind boggling issue with CSGO servers on Debian 10 + Xanmod - connection lost

Post New Thread Reply   

Ejziponken
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-29-2020 , 03:18   Mind boggling issue with CSGO servers on Debian 10 + Xanmod - connection lost
Reply With Quote #1

Hi

I have a very strange and mindboggling issue. I have no clue what’s so ever what could be the cause or how to fix it. So, I’m open for any ideas, even if they seem farfetched at this point. I’m not an experienced Linux user, so please keep that in mind when trying to explain or giving instructions on how to do something. If you need more information to help me with this problem, please tell me how to get it and I will try.

Linux version 5.8.3-xanmod1 (root@mascote) (gcc-10 (Debian 10.2.0-5) 10.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.35) #0~git20200822.3996034 SMP PREEMPT Sat Aug 22 035:03 UTC 2020

Intel Xeon E-2288G
32GB RAM
500GB NVMe SSD

So, we bought some new hardware and we are hosting CSGO game servers on them. On this new setup we went from Gentoo to Debian 10 with Xanmod. The servers are still on the same network as before and we have fresh installs of everything. Before the move, we had no issues. We are running 7 CSGO servers each with its own IP and all using the port 27015.

The issue:
This is a bit strange and hard to explain. But every night, after 6PM ish, CSGO servers lose connection in some way. It looks very random. It happens across 7 machines with same setup. They don’t loose connection at the same time. One CSGO server might go down at 7.35 and next one at 8.52 and so on.
When it happens, its like the CSGO server in question goes into a LAN/OFFLINE mode or something. I can send rcon commands and receive console data via HLSW (game tool on my computer). But at the same time HLSW tries to ping the server and it gets time out. Players cannot join the server at all once it enters this “state” and players on the server disconnects.

There is a command in CSGO called “net_start” (this command will start multiplayer network sockets) and when I use it, the server goes online again and the problem goes away.

We had this problem ever since we installed the new machines, going 6 nights in a row where 4-7 CSGO servers randomly goes offline one by one and sometimes multiple servers within minutes. It always happens after 6PM (CSGO servers auto restarts at 5am). They run all day filled with players without issues. I did notice that high slot servers (16-18 players) goes down way more often than low slot servers (10 slots). In fact, we had about a total of 30 CSGO servers that went down and only one of them was a 10 slot. But once the servers go down, they could be empty so the number of current players does not seem to be a factor. Also had reports that players notice “lag” right before or during the disconnects.

What we manually installed:
Xanmod
Tuned - https://tuned-project.org/
Screen
Htop
CSGO servers

We also run crontab without, not running anything that would explain the issue. We don’t use iptables. And our hoster says there are no issues with switch/routers. The old machines are taken down. And he flushed ARP tables.

I can’t find ANY errors in any logs. Not in CSGO and not for Debian/kernel/system. Except for these:
[71643.054913] TCP: request_sock_TCP: Possible SYN flooding on port 27015. Sending cookies. Check SNMP counters.

[60876.945710] perf: interrupt took too long (2501 > 2500), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 79500

Please help!
ThePwnt
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-29-2020 , 04:05   Re: Mind boggling issue with CSGO servers on Debian 10 + Xanmod - connection lost
Reply With Quote #2

Hmm, that sounds strange.

Do you have tested with other kernel? - Eg: Standard Kernel or Liquorix's Kernel

I has been tested - Standard Kernel, and don't have notice about server-crash/shutdown. and running 20 gameservers too with 10-16-18slots, without reports about lag.

I have only hear rumors about xanmod is not 100% perfectly

Last edited by ThePwnt; 08-29-2020 at 04:06.
Ejziponken
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-29-2020 , 04:24   Re: Mind boggling issue with CSGO servers on Debian 10 + Xanmod - connection lost
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePwnt View Post
Hmm, that sounds strange.

Do you have tested with other kernel? - Eg: Standard Kernel or Liquorix's Kernel

I has been tested - Standard Kernel, and don't have notice about server-crash/shutdown. and running 20 gameservers too with 10-16-18slots, without reports about lag.

I have only hear rumors about xanmod is not 100% perfectly
Last night, one machine ran without xanmod and no servers crashed on that machine. But ofc that could just be a random thing. We still had 6 machines running with Xanmod and they had several CSGO serverns going down on them. This morning I did remove Xanmod from all but 1 machine and I have to wait until night and see what happens.

Last edited by Ejziponken; 08-29-2020 at 04:25.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-29-2020 , 15:32   Re: Mind boggling issue with CSGO servers on Debian 10 + Xanmod - connection lost
Reply With Quote #4

I haven't tested machines with version 5.x yet, I'm still running machines with custom kernels and some with XanMod 4.x. Unless you specifically need version 5, try the stable 4.x instead and see how that performs. Additionally, try the default kernel and make a comparison.

Also on their page:
Quote:
Note: The current proprietary NVIDIA, VirtualBox, VMware Workstation / Player or some other dkms modules builds are not fully compatible with Linux 5.8 (EDGE) and RT.
Things may not be performing as well you may expect, though this may not have any direct effect but it's also not fully compatible either.

Last edited by Maxximou5; 08-29-2020 at 15:33.