Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Cached Issues?

Post New Thread Reply   

TnTSCS
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-29-2012 , 12:27   Cached Issues?
Reply With Quote #1

While testing a plugin that calls the profile page of players and then uses TinyXml to read values, I noticed that if I kept my profile page open on my browser (Chrome in my case), the page being called wouldn't update.

Basically, I set my profile to private using the web page version of my steam profile (from my server). I tested the plugin and it returned that the profile was private. I then changed my profile back to public, tested the plugin, but the plugin kept returning the profile was private.

I was pulling out my hair as to why the thing wouldn't see that the profile was public when I could clearly see on the web page it was public and even looking at the xml version, it was public.

when I closed the browser and tried the plugin again, it worked.

just thought I'd pass on my experience
SourceMod Developer
Old 02-29-2012 , 14:59  
Reply With Quote #2

I think the whole browser thing was just a coincidence, like any decent HTTP library SteamTools' HTTP functions handle caching for you internally, but it's separate from anything else.

It'll respect the standard HTTP headers for cache control, you could try this again with it configured not to cache.
Old 02-29-2012 , 17:02   Re: Cached Issues?
Reply With Quote #3

I ran into similar trouble with my Updater plugin. You can send no-cache headers like this:
Code:
new HTTPRequestHandle:hRequest = Steam_CreateHTTPRequest(HTTPMethod_GET, ...); Steam_SetHTTPRequestHeaderValue(hRequest, "Pragma", "no-cache"); Steam_SetHTTPRequestHeaderValue(hRequest, "Cache-Control", "no-cache"); Steam_SendHTTPRequest(...);