Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population

Post New Thread Reply   

dirka_dirka
Veteran Member
Old 01-26-2010 , 13:23   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #21

rek075, the thing about a horde is that it starts with zombies currently alive and then spawns as many as it needs.

there can only be 30 at a time (unless you changed the cvar), so the horde will only summon more as each gets killed. so while there will be groups of same stat zombies, it wont be 50 fast moving and high hp zombies (unless the random generator breaks down).
rek075
Old 01-26-2010 , 14:43   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #22

Thanks for the clarification! The variations are probably not as disjointed as I had originally thought.

Does anyone know if cvar value being copied and assigned happens for other things as well, such as special infected properties (ie. smoker tongue length)? I actually already have something similar to this, except for special infected, but figured that trying to apply variations with cvars would just affect all of a certain SI type.
Luke Penny
Old 01-26-2010 , 18:00   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #23

The problem is this is the only way I know of to do it. If you watch the director in spectator mode (I recommend reading valves 100 page PDF about the ai of L4D) The director is constantly spawning and removing infected ahead of the survivors based on the current intensity level. Because of this, the director may spawn 10 zombies in a room, then remove 6, and then add 3 more. After a while, the population varies a bit. The higher the interval for changing the cvars is, the more different each zombie is compared to the rest. With hordes, the zombies are spawned in small clusters at different areas, often within a few seconds of each other. This generally results with 4-5 different types of zombies in a horde, depending on the timer settings.

Not the best way of creating variation in common zombie attributes, but as far as I know, the best available.
I will post an updated version soon, as well as a L4D1 and 2 specific version, as they seem to both need different settings and improvements.
DieTeetasse
Old 01-30-2010 , 08:45   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #24

With SDKHooks it is possible to change the value of each (next spawned) infected (with cvars). I tried to change the value of each infected directly, but the server was unstable with the plugin.

Look into the attachments
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (randzombies.sp - 475 views - 1.5 KB)
Old 01-30-2010 , 19:10   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #25

Nice idea for a method there DieTeetasse! I will post an updated version shortly, adding some new features (more zombie attributes)
Acecombat2
Old 02-01-2010 , 02:16   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #26

can you make cfg file for it? =.=
Old 02-01-2010 , 13:21   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #27

Absolutely, will release that later today, I realize there are a bit too many cvars to have without a cfg.
Luke Penny
Old 02-05-2010 , 18:56   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #28

Released 1.3, added proper commenting and documentation, as well as autocreation of .cfg file, and fixed a few spelling errors.
Old 02-10-2010 , 00:08   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #29

This is a good idea, works pretty well on my server too. I'm wondering is there a way to vary the pockets of zombies? Have one pocket spawn 20 and the next 40?
Luke Penny
Old 02-14-2010 , 16:31   Re: [L4D1/2] Varying Zombie Population
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiegama View Post
This is a good idea, works pretty well on my server too. I'm wondering is there a way to vary the pockets of zombies? Have one pocket spawn 20 and the next 40?
Not entirely sure what you mean by pocket - Could be either each Horde/Mob or each Cluster of wandering zombies. For both, the easiest thing to do would be to make a timer and have the cvars change every minute or so, so every zombie in each group would be the same, but not every group would be the same.