3% 

Suggestions to SourceMM Plugin Dev's

Post New Thread Reply   

cybermind
Old 10-27-2005 , 16:58  
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdax
I also think the existing metaplugins.ini thing is pretty silly. It'd make more sense to tell people to add "meta load someplugin" to their autoexec.cfg file.
This would eliminate the load-time concept of plugins. For this to work, plugins would have to be allowed to load at any time, which may not work well for the plugin (it may rely on something being done at startup, or tracking data the entire length of the map). Plus, I think autoexec.cfg specifically is run before the mod is loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdax
I think it'd be better if metamod had its own directory at the top of the server directory, so you don't have to have multiple copies of the same plugin for different mods, or a mess of symbolic links.
While some would see this as more efficient in terms of storage space and updatability, this would defeat the purpose of having the centralized addons directory for the plugins anyway, as MM:S and server plugins would now be scattered around multiple places (keep in mind server plugins already go in the addons directory, but they are for the most part unorganized inside there). Also, rented servers may only provide access to the mod directory, eliminating the ability for the server owner to maintain MM:S himself, requiring the host to do it.
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 10-27-2005 , 19:10  
Reply With Quote #22

I've moved over to using

addons\xaphan\bin\
addons\xaphan\cfg\
addons\xaphan\Readme.txt

and I don't forsee changing it, ever.
Veteran Member
Old 10-27-2005 , 19:29  
Reply With Quote #23

With the minimal files you need to run xaphan that'll work just fine d/n ;) thanks for the support .

Also the reason for the txt file is because sometimes it's easier modified, also this could be a documentation that could potentially be put into SourceMM or something along those lines.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 10-30-2005 , 14:10  
Reply With Quote #24

Are there any more comments for revision?

FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 10-31-2005 , 11:54  
Reply With Quote #25

Well if there are no more comments I propose this be put up as an official vote to the community as in whether to "yay" or "nay" it. Seeing as I have little effect over the coding community as a whole, I suggest someone else post it up (you can copy and paste from text file.)

FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 12-27-2006 , 00:56   Re: Suggestions to SourceMM Plugin Dev's
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdax View Post
The map-specific configuration thing is silly as it's already supported by the engine. I also think the existing metaplugins.ini thing is pretty silly. It'd make more sense to tell people to add "meta load someplugin" to their autoexec.cfg file. The models and sounds directories are going to be useless but that's already been pointed out.

I think it'd be better if metamod had its own directory at the top of the server directory, so you don't have to have multiple copies of the same plugin for different mods, or a mess of symbolic links. Perhaps something like this:

Code:
cstrike/
dod/
metamod/
metamod/someplugin
metamod/someplugin/someplugin_i486.so
metamod/someplugin/somepluginsmiscellaneousfile
metamod/otherplugin
metamod/otherplugin/otherplugin_i486.so
metamod/server_i486.so
Then you'd add "meta load someplugin" to cstrike/cfg/autoexec.cfg. You could put server_i486.so in metamod/bin to copy the mod format, but it isn't really a mod so I don't think that applies, and shoving the file one directory deeper is superfluous.
Yes old thread and a bump but making sure it's still embedded in peoples heads, but to point out another flaw in this setup is the fact that most GSPs do not allow FTP access outside of anything BUT the <mod> directory. So GSP setups would be impossible without full gsp support.

Last edited by FlyingMongoose; 12-27-2006 at 02:25.
c0ldfyr3
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-27-2006 , 19:24   Re: Suggestions to SourceMM Plugin Dev's
Reply With Quote #27

Still no one comes up with a solution to the executing .cfg file problem. All of my plugins are configured through cvars located in a cfg file in cstrike/cfg/<plugin>/
Veteran Member
Old 12-27-2006 , 21:38   Re: Suggestions to SourceMM Plugin Dev's
Reply With Quote #28

I've been putting mine in addons/bin/ addons/cfg/ etc,

Code:
gEngine->ServerCommand("exec myconfig.cfg game/addons/plugindir\n");
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 12-28-2006 , 00:41   Re: Suggestions to SourceMM Plugin Dev's
Reply With Quote #29

There's no way to actively execute the cfg via the server's console or rcon unless it's in the cfg directory, however writing the plugin so that there's no need to do this is a solution.

Unless someone feels like writing a plugin that forces the configuration execution (you'd have to throw in full paths) but it's up to you guys who actually know what you're doing to do it!
BAILOPAN
Old 12-28-2006 , 13:49   Re: Suggestions to SourceMM Plugin Dev's
Reply With Quote #30

Note: You can't tell users to always load things from a cfg file because you don't know if that plugin supports late loading.