Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[TF2] Precise Input Timing

Post New Thread Reply   

LordHotPocketHomicide
Old 02-14-2021 , 21:30   [TF2] Precise Input Timing
Reply With Quote #1

Hey, folks. For a while, I've wanted to write an ability plugin for Freak Fortress 2 that would allow the user to passively gain various perks (increased movement speed, higher damage, etc) by pressing a specified button to the beat of a song.

The problem, as I found out, was that the user's ping tends to throw the timing completely out of wack. On the user's end, the moment in which they pressed the button could very well have been within the window where their timing was considered good enough to count as a "successful" beat, but by the time the server recognizes they've pressed the button, that window of opportunity may have been closed, counting their beat as a failure. Obviously, this is very bad, as I need the timing to be highly precise, or the entire concept falls apart. Is there any way to account for lag, or is this idea simply dead in the water?
Professional retard. I might borrow some code, but I always try to give credit when I do! If you've noticed I've borrowed some of your code, and you have a problem with that, please add me on Steam and let me know so I can correct the problem as soon as possible!