Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Bad Convar checking.

Post New Thread Reply   

KyleS
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 06-19-2011 , 17:33   Bad Convar checking.
Reply With Quote #1

One thing that has always irked me with this plugin (KAC) is the fact that cvars aren't actually checked for their real values. For instance if you were to change sv_gravity from 800 to something non-standard ie 250, people would be banned for Cvar violations. While this works for regular servers, at the moment it's not too great for surfing/strafing and the like with CSS.

While I've worked around this in the past, it would be nice if the change was made globally.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 06-20-2011 , 02:37   Re: Bad Convar checking.
Reply With Quote #2

I think KAC/SMAC takes this into account. For example, if you change sv_cheats to 1, players will only get banned if they didn't successfully replicate the cvar (for having it at something other than 1).

I just tested it now with sv_gravity and it seems to work. If you'd like to play it safe, you can remove cvars from the checklist that you know you'll be changing. Ex: smac_removecvar sv_gravity
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 06-20-2011 , 06:48   Re: Bad Convar checking.
Reply With Quote #3

This used to be an issue in KAC versions < 1.1.8 if I recall correctly, but it was fixed.
Old 06-20-2011 , 07:44   Re: Bad Convar checking.
Reply With Quote #4

I can recall this change being made as well. I had a slew of users banned today on a map that simply changed the servers gravity. I'm going to have to remember what I did. KAC's source has gotten pretty convoluted, or at least it has me in a complete state of disarray.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 06-20-2011 , 07:55   Re: Bad Convar checking.
Reply With Quote #5

I did a quick look, and it does indeed kick the client if their gravity is not 800, regardless of what the server has set. As far as I know, that part has not changed from KAC 1.2.x when Kigen rewrote the cvar check system.

One of us will get this fixed. There should ideally be a check type to just check that a convar matches what the server has, rather than only allowing checking against hard, set values.

Edit: actually, I'm going to look at this now. (warning so that we're not stepping on each others' toes).

Last edited by psychonic; 06-20-2011 at 08:29.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 06-20-2011 , 10:51   Re: Bad Convar checking.
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleS View Post
KAC's source has gotten pretty convoluted, or at least it has me in a complete state of disarray.
After looking at it for a while, I feel like KAC became overly complex in some parts just for the sake of making changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
There should ideally be a check type to just check that a convar matches what the server has, rather than only allowing checking against hard, set values.
Yeah that's the best way to go. I think there is some existing code in there that attempts to do the same thing in a more complicated way. There are a bunch of functions/timers with the "Replicate" name that I didn't feel like going over.
Xp3r7
SourceMod Donor
Old 06-20-2011 , 12:45   Re: Bad Convar checking.
Reply With Quote #7

I use SMAC on a SKDM server with no problems but the gravity is also changed via the server.cfg.

I also use this on another server where I have changed the gravity while in-game for a few rounds here and there and didnt see anyone get kicked.
Old 06-23-2011 , 02:59   Re: Bad Convar checking.
Reply With Quote #8

Any update on this? Got a lot of players getting banned for SMAC: ConVar sv_gravity violation (mini games maps).
Old 06-23-2011 , 03:26   Re: Bad Convar checking.
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Any update on this? Got a lot of players getting banned for SMAC: ConVar sv_gravity violation (mini games maps).
Until it is fixed, remove cvars that you know will be changed. Example: add smac_removecvar sv_gravity to your smac.cfg
Doc
Old 06-23-2011 , 03:47   Re: Bad Convar checking.
Reply With Quote #10

Ah! Thanks for the tip.