Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Server Redirects

Post New Thread Reply   

Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-19-2008 , 09:00   Server Redirects
Reply With Quote #1

I believe that at least some of you are using instances of HLDS solely to redirect to other servers in order to gain more exposure in the server browser.

How do you accomplish this?* How do you minimise memory usage? How many are you using?

*I'm not asking how to use HLDS - I'm interested in whether you use a dedicated box or run the redirects from your desktop computer.

Last edited by Lee; 03-19-2008 at 09:54.
bmann_420
AMX_Super Pooper
Old 03-19-2008 , 11:38   Re: Server Redirects
Reply With Quote #2

Most of the redirects are almost the identical plugin to Vet's redirect. Their just custom made. It just wasts resources since its not optimized as a strictly redirect, or may I say, its not optimized since its a regular server running a plugin.
Old 03-19-2008 , 11:42   Re: Server Redirects
Reply With Quote #3

The map your server loads could be an empty box that is bare minimum to get the map to load on the server. You can then rename it to de_dust.bsp or whatever; it won't matter. The client won't get the "map differs" error because they will be connecting to the new server before the connection gets that far.

Hell, I'm sure you could block precaching of models too.
Donor
Old 03-19-2008 , 12:45   Re: Server Redirects
Reply With Quote #4

you can make a very simple plugin redirect any and everyone who connects, you don't need to use a premade fancy plugin. Its pretty much like plugin_init() on_connect() exec_func("connect <new ip address>");

Obviously you can fill in the blanks ;)
Lee
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-19-2008 , 14:02   Re: Server Redirects
Reply With Quote #5

Maybe I wasn't clear; it's not redirecting people that's the problem. Sawce got the idea.
hackziner
Old 03-19-2008 , 14:59   Re: Server Redirects
Reply With Quote #6

I run 5 redirection servers on a server at remove

-remove all useless stuff in hlds (sound, some maps, textures, ...) and i got a 250mo hdls
-installe amxx with simple redirect and fake bt and remove every useless plugin ...
-high ticrate with pingboost 3 can help to get a best ping than other server even on your home connection (depending on your connection ... with optic fiber or adsl2+ (+fastpath) it's good)
Old 03-19-2008 , 22:25   Re: Server Redirects
Reply With Quote #7

0/1 slots