Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Advice on starting with plugins please

Post New Thread Reply   

lachesis
Old 01-24-2007 , 08:32   Advice on starting with plugins please
Reply With Quote #1

Hi

There's a few things I'd like to experiment with in regards to CS:S and writing server plugins. I can write C++ code competently and don't mind looking through SDK code etc. but I would like to know how to set up my environment to facilitate coding, then testing etc.

Currently I only have the CS:S game downloaded via steam. I am assuming:

>> I download the Source SDK first;
>>Select Create a Mod;

After this it gets confusing, obviously it will create gamefiles in srcsdk (from what I can vaguely recall). I have a full copy of Visual Studio 2003 to work with but what game files am I meant to be opening etc. what directory structure do I need to set up for the project?

My eventual aim is to create a game mode via a server plugin that is similar to CTF - theoretically is this possible? Or is there some limitation in coding server plugins that would never allow this gametype to be programmed?

Thanks for your time.
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2007 , 12:53   Re: Advice on starting with plugins please
Reply With Quote #2

CTF has been done :-/

Honestly, just take example plugins, and look through what they're using...they're all over.
el hippo
Old 01-24-2007 , 13:48   Re: Advice on starting with plugins please
Reply With Quote #3

I would recommend that you use the hl2sdk provided on the sourcemm svn repository ( http://svn.tcwonline.org/viewvc.cgi/...?root=sourcemm ). This sdk is kept somewhat up to date by the developers of sourcemm and sourcemod and has fixes to make it compile correctly with gcc 4.1 and vs 2005.

Take a look at http://wiki.tcwonline.org/index.php/...%28SourceMM%29 for help on setting up your dev environment.

Hippo