hi roach

Post New Thread Reply   

devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 10-11-2009 , 01:59   Re: hi roach
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asd' View Post
I do not understand what he meant, it could happen again?
Playing the game without paying for it is illegal, regardless of the method you use to do it. Nonsteam is illegal.
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 10-11-2009 , 02:10   Re: hi roach
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicenull View Post
I banned a large number of people today for being nonsteam users. In ot_207's case, blatently admitting to having nonsteam was a pretty good indication.
All banning ot_207 did was shoot the community in the foot. He was a relatively productive and useful member of this board and showed no indication of making it difficult for other people through his supposed use of non-Steam.

I think you've lost sight of the original objective of this rule. It was really only to make giving out support easier as people with non-Steam are extremely difficult to help. This board would never be under any threat of legal action from Valve even if it stated that it actively supported non-Steam.

I agree with banning people who are using non-Steam and being disruptive (even if it's something as simple as asking for support and using it). But banning them just for having it, especially in ot_207's case, I think is going overboard.
Veteran Member
Old 10-11-2009 , 02:14   Re: hi roach
Reply With Quote #23

Non-steam is not supported here and anyone asking for ns support may get banned. Fair enough - they bring confusion to the forum.

But maybe I didn't get it correctly. Why someone would get banned in amxmodx forums for being a non-steam user? Isn't that Valve or police/law business?
Send a message via ICQ to commonbullet Send a message via MSN to commonbullet
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 10-11-2009 , 02:32   Re: hi roach
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonbullet View Post
Isn't that Valve or police/law business?
We choose not to condone the use of Non-Steam products.
Old 10-11-2009 , 02:52   Re: hi roach
Reply With Quote #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
We choose not to condone the use of Non-Steam products.
Hawk have posted what I meant more adequately - I hadn't seen this post.

As per that suspect game path, that's not necessarily non-steam. I own an old CZ (original) cd version that will install the game in a similar path. I used that for mapping because it would load the game instantly.

Last edited by commonbullet; 10-11-2009 at 02:56.
Send a message via ICQ to commonbullet Send a message via MSN to commonbullet
Dr. Jan Itor
Veteran Member
Old 10-11-2009 , 03:25   Re: hi roach
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawce the snail View Post
wow i do like 5.6k dps you nerd
Sure you do.. then how do you explain the 2.8k dps on XT last week?
Old 10-11-2009 , 04:05   Re: hi roach
Reply With Quote #27

Admitting or giving evidence to cracking Steam WILL get you banned. Zero-tolerance. Doesn't matter who you are, or if every single person in your Eastern European country runs illegitimate software.

It is a huge liability for us. We're the biggest 3rd-party hub for modifying Valve software. The Steam/SDK license is quite strict. Occasionally we need to work with Valve or ask for favors. We do this for the community, and it seems foolish to jeopardize an already tenable relationship.

If you want to run illegal software, do it on another site. Create alliedstealers.ro, post and fork whatever you want.

For the record, I unban almost everyone who apologizes and promises not to repeat said incident. I don't care if you run no-steam. Just don't advertise it here.

This policy could change if either of the following happens:
  • I get an e-mail from Gabe Newell saying, "Hey, random person on the Internet. I don't care if people on your forums write addons and give support for stolen copies of our software."
  • The risk of allowing such activity is deemed to be unimportant.
Retired AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 10-11-2009 , 04:23   Re: hi roach
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
I get an e-mail from Gabe Newell saying, "Hey, random person on the Internet. I don't care if people on your forums write addons and give support for stolen copies of our software."
ROFL !
Old 10-11-2009 , 07:54   Re: hi roach
Reply With Quote #29

The fact of he have admitting that he uses non-steam is your fault because you never made clear that just by one saying that he uses non-steam he would get banned.

In his case you could at least warn him and delete his posts referring non-steam. I imagine that is very hard to spend day making plugins like these:

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=100886
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=103789
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=74091
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=75322

And then getting banned and see them moved to unapproved just because of one post. You don't care about amxmodx and its section anymore so when you are going to ban someone you could check a little bit about them or talk to someone in charge there.
Old 10-11-2009 , 08:01   Re: hi roach
Reply With Quote #30

Indeed, totally agreed.