Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Make sound not play so often

Post New Thread Reply   

HowToRuski
Old 04-19-2023 , 05:57   Make sound not play so often
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, so basically i have a script which plays a sound when player leaves/joins the server, i wanted to ask if there is a way i can make it not play so often? Because if more players start joining it overlays more sounds and make a very bad sounding itself. Like make a check if sound was played like in 30 sec interval then not play another?
Hakim Azizov
Old 04-19-2023 , 08:02   Re: Make sound not play so often
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowToRuski View Post
Hello, so basically i have a script which plays a sound when player leaves/joins the server, i wanted to ask if there is a way i can make it not play so often? Because if more players start joining it overlays more sounds and make a very bad sounding itself. Like make a check if sound was played like in 30 sec interval then not play another?
Hi. I can help you but you need sound(s) for playing it. Please wait me
Hakim Azizov
Old 04-19-2023 , 08:26   Re: Make sound not play so often
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowToRuski View Post
Attached Files
File Type: sma Get Plugin or Get Source (join-drop sound.sma - 67 views - 2.1 KB)
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-20-2023 , 00:43   Re: Make sound not play so often
Reply With Quote #4

You can add a type of timer that will prevent replaying the sound within X seconds. You can implement this using something like this:
  • Create a global boolean variable to control if the sound can be played (default value should be true)
  • If the variable is true, play the sound and set the variable to false (otherwise, do nothing)
  • Set a timer (e.g. with set_task()) for X seconds that will then reset the the variable back to true.

Try to implement this on your own (this is the Scripting Help section after all) and see if you can get it working. If you have issues, post the code that you tested and we can help you understand how to fix it.
Old 04-20-2023 , 05:48   Re: Make sound not play so often
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
You can add a type of timer that will prevent replaying the sound within X seconds. You can implement this using something like this:
  • Create a global boolean variable to control if the sound can be played (default value should be true)
  • If the variable is true, play the sound and set the variable to false (otherwise, do nothing)
  • Set a timer (e.g. with set_task()) for X seconds that will then reset the the variable back to true.

Try to implement this on your own (this is the Scripting Help section after all) and see if you can get it working. If you have issues, post the code that you tested and we can help you understand how to fix it.
Got something like this

PHP Code:
new g_bPlaySound true;

public 
PlaySoundDelay(id)
{
    if (
g_bPlaySound)
    {

// Play the sound here

// Set the variable to false

g_bPlaySound false;

set_task(30.0"ResetSoundVariable"id);
    }
}

public 
ResetSoundVariable(id)
{

g_bPlaySound true;

Would this work?
mlibre
Veteran Member
Old 04-20-2023 , 11:29   Re: Make sound not play so often
Reply With Quote #6

or

PHP Code:
public client_putinserver(id)
{
    static 
iTimestampiWaitNext

iTimestamp 
get_systime()

if(
iWaitNext iTimestamp) return

iWaitNext iTimestamp 30

client_cmd
(0"spk buttons/bell1")

Old 04-20-2023 , 23:16   Re: Make sound not play so often
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlibre View Post
or

PHP Code:
public client_putinserver(id)
{
    static 
iTimestampiWaitNext

iTimestamp 
get_systime()

if(
iWaitNext iTimestamp) return

iWaitNext iTimestamp 30

client_cmd
(0"spk buttons/bell1")

Yeah, this method is better (except having the return in the middle of a function for no good reason, just use the if statement to conditionally execute the code, it'll be much more readable and easier to integrate into existing code). I do this type of thing all the time so I'm not sure why I didn't remember this method when responding the first time.
Old 04-25-2023 , 11:49   Re: Make sound not play so often
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
Yeah, this method is better (except having the return in the middle of a function for no good reason, just use the if statement to conditionally execute the code, it'll be much more readable and easier to integrate into existing code). I do this type of thing all the time so I'm not sure why I didn't remember this method when responding the first time.
how would you optimize it because it is not a good practice to return after the condition
Old 04-25-2023 , 14:00   Re: Make sound not play so often
Reply With Quote #9

Just switch ‘>’ with ‘<‘ and remove the return
It’s cleaner that way. Like he said it’s easier to read and to add to an existing code. Imagine he wants to do something else on client_putinserver, that return would stop it. It’s a good coding habit to avoid returns, only do it when it’s necessary, in this case you don’t need it at all
Old 04-26-2023 , 00:44   Re: Make sound not play so often
Reply With Quote #10

I assume you already know but just in case anyone is reading this in the future who is less experienced, in addition to changing the condition you need to make sure to wrap the conditional code in braces { }.