Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Stupid question...

Post New Thread Reply   

Veteran Member
Old 03-01-2009 , 13:20   Re: Stupid question...
Reply With Quote #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkza View Post
there is only two ways to have that: direct OS console access or FTP.
You could also think of SCP, rsync and network shares. Of course the first two require shell access indirectly nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkza View Post
I really can't see what's more user-friendly than navigating to a folder then double clicking files to upload/download.
How about editting your online files directly in your preferred editor?

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion and preference of course, but in my opinion WinSCP beats most others with its SCP, SFTP over SSH-1 and SSH2 and FTP support. Especially for system administrators with shell access this is a very handy and secure tool, you can completely skip the unsecure FTP service and protocol. Also, in WinSCP you can have multiple files opened, while you can still change directories on the remote location. And it's free.

By the way, what a waste it is to see how some people are unable to suppress the urge to spam their preferences without any foundation.
Old 03-01-2009 , 14:59   Re: Stupid question...
Reply With Quote #32

ya i use winSCP for ssh into my ipod touch, and ftp into about 15 servers and host sites lol
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 03-01-2009 , 16:16   Re: Stupid question...
Reply With Quote #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8088 View Post
You could also think of SCP, rsync and network shares. Of course the first two require shell access indirectly nonetheless.

How about editting your online files directly in your preferred editor?

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion and preference of course, but in my opinion WinSCP beats most others with its SCP, SFTP over SSH-1 and SSH2 and FTP support. Especially for system administrators with shell access this is a very handy and secure tool, you can completely skip the unsecure FTP service and protocol. Also, in WinSCP you can have multiple files opened, while you can still change directories on the remote location. And it's free.

By the way, what a waste it is to see how some people are unable to suppress the urge to spam their preferences without any foundation.
I never used WinSCP, so the only opinion I could, and did, express is that it looked like a good software basing on what I read in the website. And some of the reasons I use Filezilla (it's actually the only one that fullfils them both): open-source and multi-platform.

And by the way, Filezilla also supports 'online' editing.

Community / No support through PM
skinnie
Old 03-01-2009 , 19:14   Re: Stupid question...
Reply With Quote #34

I'm shocked that nobody mentioned FlashFXP.
Old 03-01-2009 , 19:56   Re: Stupid question...
Reply With Quote #35

I'm shocked this thread is still open, lol.
Maurice
Old 03-02-2009 , 19:03   Re: Stupid question...
Reply With Quote #36

Thanks all for the info but my question was not meant to upload stuff myself because i use just IE, it's the quikest and easiest but i'm wondering how someone uploaded and installed a plugin on my server. I've never ever given someone the FTP or CP passwords where a filemanager is avaialable but nevertheless an amxx plugin got installed. I need to know the the security leak to prevent further hack attemps. Because as i thought uploading and installing a plugin can only be done with FTP or ROOT acces it means the FTP or CP passwords are stolen form my PC or stolen when i sent them to get acces or the CP got a leak.

Another question, can someone decompile amxx files to readable text? I've found a topic here how to decompile but it's to difficult and maybe someone can decompile the plugin for me that got uploaded and installed? One thing i know for sure, it did lagg the server, showed bullet hit damage, ranking information on client connect, amx_exec @all (to execute commands in cleint console) and was named amx_super.amxx. As far i know the standard amx_super dont have this features or not all.

Last edited by Maurice; 03-02-2009 at 22:06.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 03-02-2009 , 23:02   Re: Stupid question...
Reply With Quote #37

I would change my password ASAP. Then I would contact my game server host and see if they can look in the logs and find out when that file was uploaded and get the ip, username, password that was used to connect. I don't know if they would be able to do that but I would at least ask.
Old 03-03-2009 , 01:15   Re: Stupid question...
Reply With Quote #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
One thing i know for sure, it did lagg the server, showed bullet hit damage, ranking information on client connect, amx_exec @all (to execute commands in cleint console) and was named amx_super.amxx. As far i know the standard amx_super dont have this features or not all.
Amx super does have all of those features. Usually doesn't lag the server, though.
Old 03-03-2009 , 11:57   Re: Stupid question...
Reply With Quote #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
I would change my password ASAP. Then I would contact my game server host and see if they can look in the logs and find out when that file was uploaded and get the ip, username, password that was used to connect. I don't know if they would be able to do that but I would at least ask.
I had the same mind and it is already done but inlog information was not available. I've the IP address who used RCON acces but still don't know how the plugin is uploaded and installed, so i don't know the leak yet. A friend told me with FTP connect by IE or FF the password is transmit visible, is this true and could i use better one of the programs mentioned in the above posts as IE/FF?
Veteran Member
Old 03-03-2009 , 23:30   Re: Stupid question...
Reply With Quote #40

I bet any ftp program would be better than a web browser. And if you can use sftp go for it but I think that might be unlikely for a games server (but I could be wrong).