Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

ELEMENT|Live Weather with windage cvar. (Updated AUG 14TH 2022.)

Post New Thread Reply   

DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 09-18-2018 , 10:28   Re: Element
Reply With Quote #41

Quote:
I'm not even going to bother, I have better things to do.
You cannot back peddle out of this HamletEagle. You can change what you write but cannot change how you really feel.

Last edited by DJEarthQuake; 08-05-2022 at 10:44.
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-18-2018 , 11:59   Re: Element
Reply With Quote #42

I'm not back pedalling, what I was saying by "I'm not even going to bother" is that I'm not gonna invest time in arguing with you as I don't think it will lead to anything. The reason why I edited is because I thought maybe it's just too harsh.

When you asked for a review I supposed you are willing to improve your plugin and have a constructive discussion. Instead, what you did is take it personal, become defensive, keep saying you don't care. What is the reason to become upset at a review or consider it a "squabble"? That's how things work here, the code NEEDS to be reviewed by an approver to make sure it's high quality code.

If you were interested in actually learning something you could have been way less defensive. Instead of saying that you don't care about any coding standard you could have asked "why it's important to indent my code or write readable code" and I would gladly explain.

And that's the reason I'm not going to bother with this: you DO NOT want a review, you DO NOT want to have a discussion, you DO NOT want to listen to someone else and accept that you may be wrong. What's the point in my explaining anything or giving feedback when you are clearly not going to listen and discuss about it and instead you will take it as a personal insult? It's a waste of time.

@edon:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edon1337 View Post
What I was pointing at was that you agreed to review his code just because he asked for a review meanwhile there's tons of older or quicker-to-review codes out there, not my problem but just saying.
And from that ton of older/quick to review codes I picked this one. When I started to actively review that section had 21 pages. I managed to bring it down to 14 pages, then I stopped for a period because I was busy and now it's at 27 pages of plugins. That's an insane amount of work for only one person(as I'm the only active approver).
If you are aware of such quick to review plugin feel free to make a list and pm me.

About HN, the style is up to the coder, as long as it's readable and consistent. You shouldn't enforce Hungarian notation, as it's pointless most of the time and make variable names too verbose. Ideally, people should be able to read your code as their read an english text. The variable names should be descriptive and in most cases HN doesn't contribute to that.
You can use it in your plugins(later you'll understand why I say it's pointless). For a project like AMXX where multiple people contribute to it, it makes sense to have some general guidelines on coding style.

Last edited by HamletEagle; 09-18-2018 at 12:06.
edon1337
Penguin Enthusiast
Old 09-18-2018 , 12:25   Re: Element
Reply With Quote #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamletEagle View Post
@edon:

And from that ton of older/quick to review codes I picked this one. When I started to actively review that section had 21 pages. I managed to bring it down to 14 pages, then I stopped for a period because I was busy and now it's at 27 pages of plugins. That's an insane amount of work for only one person(as I'm the only active approver).
If you are aware of such quick to review plugin feel free to make a list and pm me.
I'm not trying to be mean over here but, the approver staff needs to be updated, I know approvers aren't obligated to be active but being inactive means you were inactive, there is approvers who haven't even logged for months, and there's others who haven't a reviewed a single plugin for years.

Plugins like these don't take more than 15 minutes to review, if every approver reviewed at least 1 plugin per 1 month, this huge load of plugins wouldn't have accumulated.

But still, every staff member just dips into reasoning to try and back them up.

If you're not able to invest 15 minutes of your time once in a month, are you really worthy of the title?

I'd gladly help with reviewing, but there's still I'm unknowingly of, so I'll just take my time and focus on filling these blank spots.

Last edited by edon1337; 09-18-2018 at 12:29.
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2018 , 00:36   Re: Element
Reply With Quote #44

#chuttenjr. Footsteps restored. Version 4. Tested. Let me know. Thanks for showing me how to use humans as debuggers for free. You rock dude!
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2018 , 02:04   Re: Element (real-Time weather)
Reply With Quote #45

Code:
netstat -toad
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       Timer
tcp      315      0 yourIP:yourPORT 192.241.169.168:http    CLOSE_WAIT  off (0.00/0/0)

whois 192.241.169.168 | grep abuse
OrgAbuseEmail:  [email protected]

The simplest cloud platform for developers & teams.

There is no need to be alarmed this is where we get the tiny weather feed from.
There are several formats one can use. Pick whatever naturally works best for you and your project.
Data is available in JSON, XML, or HTML format

Last edited by DJEarthQuake; 09-23-2018 at 16:24.
tarsisd2
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2018 , 12:56   Re: Element (real-Time weather)
Reply With Quote #46

your plugin could detect from what city is the player from and get the weather right for him!
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2018 , 12:58   Re: Element (real-Time weather)
Reply With Quote #47

@tarsisd2. Great point. The plug-in already does by saying /mytemp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weather_browser.jpg (64.8 KB, 342 views)

Last edited by DJEarthQuake; 08-05-2022 at 10:22. Reason: abbrev
chuttenjr
Old 09-19-2018 , 22:43   Re: Element (real-Time weather)
Reply With Quote #48

Wow,you fixed it !! thanks a lot man!! dark rainy maps incoming hahahaha
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2018 , 23:37   Re: Element (real-Time weather)
Reply With Quote #49

You are welcome!

Last edited by DJEarthQuake; 08-05-2022 at 10:05.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:03
DJEarthQuake
This message has been deleted by DJEarthQuake. Reason: Typo explained.
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 09-20-2018 , 08:58   Re: Element (real-Time weather)
Reply With Quote #50

It was obviously a typo, no need to make a fuss out of it or try to act smart.

Quote:
What I am interested in doing something about:
There is a lot of approved code. Plugins that have either crashed or ddos system. Those few need quarantined. Possibly by click to flag with drop-down severity indicators. We can Drupalize. People trust APPROVED. I can show slow hacks and everything else examples of approved code in this state. Issues duplicable. I have had to find new versions of some of my favorite plugins and warn the finding. I'm sure it's not deliberate. Just bugs.
I agree there is a lot of trash in the approved section. A lot of plugins are broken or have terrible code. Unfortunately we don't have the man power to clean it. We can't even deal with the New Plugins Submissions section.
It seems that I'm the only active approver(active as in actually reviewing plugins) and it was like that for few years.

With a lot of help from edon(he did most of the work and gave me a list), in the last few days I managed to remove all the trash from the new plugins section(trash as in source mod plugins/broken or terribly coded plugins/requests/topics without source files). We cleaned 3 pages of pure trash and this were only the most obvious cases, screaming "I'm garbage". There's still plenty.

You are welcome to make a similar list from the approved section(plugins with bugs that stop them from working or such). Post it here or send it to me by PM. I need clear evidence that the plugin is broken(for example multiple people complaining in the thread and providing error logs).

Last edited by HamletEagle; 09-20-2018 at 09:01.