Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[TF2] Spectator combat text / hitsounds

Post New Thread Reply   

VoiDeD
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-18-2014 , 13:34   [TF2] Spectator combat text / hitsounds
Reply With Quote #1

Just a little something I had experimented with that turned out a little too buggy to actually put into production, so I figured I'd share it.

This plugin will allow spectators in TF2 to see the HUD combat damage indicators and hear hitsounds when the player they're spectating does damage to another player.

It's pretty hacky:
1. It requires networking up to |N| events for each player_hurt event, where |N| is the number of players. Some players reported that this caused some considerable choke/lag on their clients. This can probably be improved, but would require even more low level hackery to control the transmission of events to only specific clients.
2. The spectating client has to be tricked into thinking they're alive, which leads to some crazy prediction errors where the spectator can suddenly be placed in a thirdperson-esque state and some other things.

This plugin makes use of the SP transitional syntax, so you'll need the SM 1.7 branch spcomp in order to compile it. This also requires the sendproxy extension and, of course, incurring the perf hit of serializing all sendtable encoding that comes with using that extension.

The code: https://gist.github.com/VoiDeD/605e77dcac2b6090850d

Last edited by VoiDeD; 09-18-2014 at 13:35.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 09-20-2014 , 08:13   Re: [TF2] Spectator combat text / hitsounds
Reply With Quote #2

Can you perhaps spawn them on a team, and then change their lifestate (or use the ghost cond and hide them) and then manage their observer target? They would have to stay in third person though.