Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

What is an easy scripting language to learn?

Post New Thread Reply   

EHG
Old 09-21-2010 , 21:47   Re: What is an easy scripting language to learn?
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicStryker View Post
*spontaneously bursts into flames*
*rushes over with a fire extinguisher*
thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 09-21-2010 , 22:23   Re: What is an easy scripting language to learn?
Reply With Quote #12

Tanish, I personally love AutoIt and it certainly isn't a bad language to invest some time into learning it. It has a lot of power as far as Windows OS automation goes, which can save you a lot of time if you know you're doing.
Old 09-22-2010 , 06:27   Re: What is an easy scripting language to learn?
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishwallen View Post
I would like to learn a scripting language that I could start doing cool things with in a few hours. But I do not want to learn Python yet. I have heard that AutoItV3 is a good scripting language to make bots and such. So any suggestions and good places to start learning one of these languages?
Python is one of the fastest languages to learn and to do stuff, you should really take a look if you want productivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Canistra View Post
I could say it's quite the contrary. Starting from easily-approached languages will corrupt your mind and make things only worse when you get your hands onto some real languages.
But this guy is correct, you should learn about the internals of languages with low-level stuff before using this kind of languages.

My recommendation is the same for everyone that wants to start programming, learn C/C++: it will help you with almost every other language. The only exceptions so far for me were Haskell and LISP, which use totally different paradigms.
thacursedpie
Old 09-23-2010 , 11:46   Re: What is an easy scripting language to learn?
Reply With Quote #14

I strongly advice you to start with C/C++ (though they are hard languages). In the end, you understand more .

One of the best guides I've found on C is Beej's guide to C programming. (http://beej.us/guide/bgc/), which is awesome because he starts at the real basics. He doesn't asume ANY prior programming knowledge. Plus, it's written in a very funny way

By starting out with C, you'll learn stuff about pointers, memory management, etc, you wouldn't learn if you'd start with python.
Xsinthis
Old 09-23-2010 , 16:54   Re: What is an easy scripting language to learn?
Reply With Quote #15

I learned on Turing and then Java >.>
Old 09-24-2010 , 05:34   Re: What is an easy scripting language to learn?
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacursedpie View Post
By starting out with C, you'll learn stuff about pointers, memory management, etc, you wouldn't learn if you'd start with python.
... and then you'll need to forget everything and start over with references and STL in C++, oh boy.
thacursedpie
Old 09-24-2010 , 17:12   Re: What is an easy scripting language to learn?
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTony View Post
... and then you'll need to forget everything and start over with references and STL in C++, oh boy.
Then dont learn C++ ;). Nah, good point. I still havent gotten around to learning C++ properly. But my c knowledge comes in handy when I need to do some kind of reversing.