Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Is worldspawn supposed to be invalid with pev_valid? (or is_valid_ent)

Post New Thread Reply   

aron9forever
Veteran Member
Old 10-21-2017 , 09:28   Is worldspawn supposed to be invalid with pev_valid? (or is_valid_ent)
Reply With Quote #1

I am working on a mod that involves sticking to walls, so, I'm hooking FM_Touch. However since some other pesky plugins are using ents, and it so happens that this plugin also hooks FM_Touch and destroys the ent, while being above my wall stick plugin in plugins.ini. So basically every single time that ent touches me, it gets destroyed, then it triggers the FM_Touch in my other plugin and causes invalid entity errors for pev().

I added a check for pev_valid but this broke my wallclimb / wallhang. Since it only returns 0 for worldspawn, and worldspawn is id 0, I just added an extra check.
Code:
public fwd_touch(id, world) {     if(world != 0 && !pev_valid(world))         return FMRES_IGNORED;     if(is_user_alive(id)) {         new classname[32];         pev(world, pev_classname, classname, charsmax(classname));         if(equal(classname, "worldspawn") || equal(classname, "func_wall") || equal(classname, "func_breakable"))             pev(id, pev_origin, g_wallorigin[id]);     }     return FMRES_IGNORED; }

This seems a bit hacky though, and based on my judgement worldspawn should always be a valid entity, but I don't know, so I'm asking here: is this normal? pev_valid returns 0 on worldspawn on both 1.8.3 and 1.8.2, only tested with reHLDS.
useless small optimizations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
On a map that is 512x512x128 units you end up with 3,355,443,200,000 different "positions". To store each one of those positions individually in the variable "user_or" you need 12 terabytes of memory.
PRoSToTeM@
Veteran Member
Old 10-21-2017 , 09:33   Re: Is worldspawn supposed to be invalid with pev_valid? (or is_valid_ent)
Reply With Quote #2

Entity must be valid all the time in Touch. So you can't remove it with remove_entity (EngFunc_RemoveEntity), you should use FL_KILLME flag.
Veteran Member
Old 10-21-2017 , 09:59   Re: Is worldspawn supposed to be invalid with pev_valid? (or is_valid_ent)
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoSToTeM@ View Post
Entity must be valid all the time in Touch. So you can't remove it with remove_entity (EngFunc_RemoveEntity), you should use FL_KILLME flag.
I'm not even sure what the plugin does, it's pretty garbage and written by someone else, but I have been requested to implement it via its natives.

It's irrelevant to the topic, basically I was touching invalid ents, so I added a pev_valid() check, which returns 0 on worldspawn. My question is if this is the intended functionality or a bug(seems weird that worldspawn is an invalid ent since it has valid properties such as classname).

Code:
pev_valid(0) //returns 0, shouldn't it return 1 or 2? is_valid_ent(0) //returns 0, shouldn't it return 1?
Quote:
On a map that is 512x512x128 units you end up with 3,355,443,200,000 different "positions". To store each one of those positions individually in the variable "user_or" you need 12 terabytes of memory.

Last edited by aron9forever; 10-21-2017 at 10:04.
aron9forever
Veteran Member
Old 10-21-2017 , 10:22   Re: Is worldspawn supposed to be invalid with pev_valid? (or is_valid_ent)
Reply With Quote #4

Well I guess I can answer my own question here
Code:
int is_ent_valid(int iEnt) {     if (iEnt < 1 || iEnt > gpGlobals->maxEntities) // <-- shot in the balls here         return 0;     if (iEnt <= gpGlobals->maxClients)     {         if (!MF_IsPlayerIngame(iEnt))         {             return 0;         }     } else {         if (FNullEnt(TypeConversion.id_to_edict(iEnt)))         {             return 0;         }     }     return 1; }

It still seems weird that 0 is not a valid ent, at least in the scope of this implementation / issue. I'll let you decide on that.

Code:
pev(1, pev_classname, classname, charsmax(classname)); //works fine if player is valid pev(0, pev_classname, classname, charsmax(classname)); //works fine pev(-1, pev_classname, classname, charsmax(classname)); //run time error pev_valid(1) //returns 2 pev_valid(0) //returns 0 pev_valid(-1) //returns 0
seems inconsistent to me
Quote:

Last edited by aron9forever; 10-21-2017 at 10:28.
PRoSToTeM@
Veteran Member
Old 10-22-2017 , 04:19   Re: Is worldspawn supposed to be invalid with pev_valid? (or is_valid_ent)
Reply With Quote #5

Yep, there is some inconsistency with 0 and -1 entity ids in engine and fakemeta modules, some natives treat null entity as -1, some as 0, some doesn't allow to set null in some variables (like trace.pHit).

Also, entity removing in Touch can produce random crashes, so anyway you should solve the problem with this plugin(s).

Last edited by PRoSToTeM@; 10-22-2017 at 04:24.
Send a message via ICQ to PRoSToTeM@ Send a message via Skype™ to PRoSToTeM@