Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Learning C++ for Coding Extentions

Post New Thread Reply   

API
Veteran Member
Old 04-24-2013 , 12:43   Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #11

One of the major issues with learning C before C++ would be avoiding OOP patterns. +1 for learning C++ now, learning C will just enforce poor behavior
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-24-2013 , 14:36   Re: Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinjuice View Post
One of the major issues with learning C before C++ would be avoiding OOP patterns. +1 for learning C++ now, learning C will just enforce poor behavior
As has been the over all discussion. I know the basics of many languages it's getting more into it that I'm lost lol. Then again I've never done anything more than console apps as for some reason I can't compile the damn Windows forms
BAILOPAN
Old 04-24-2013 , 15:48   Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Holiday View Post
From many sources they say that learning C first will cause you to have to unlearn some when writing proper C++
It's definitely true that idiomatic C++ code looks very different from C - you'd be "unlearning" best practices, but not really language fundamentals.

The only difficult thing about either C or C++ is memory management - if you can nail down pointers, you're done. Bjarne Stroustroup's book on C++ is good, I've been told. Most people on the AM team learned by poking around with it and toying with real-world C++ code.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-24-2013 , 18:12   Re: Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
It's definitely true that idiomatic C++ code looks very different from C - you'd be "unlearning" best practices, but not really language fundamentals.

The only difficult thing about either C or C++ is memory management - if you can nail down pointers, you're done. Bjarne Stroustroup's book on C++ is good, I've been told. Most people on the AM team learned by poking around with it and toying with real-world C++ code.
I'll look into that book. Finding code to learn from is difficult and I would agree pointers are a bitch to learn haha but it seems pretty straight forward.

Edit: is this who your talking about?
http://www.stroustrup.com
http://www.stroustrup.com/programming.html

Last edited by Doc-Holiday; 04-24-2013 at 18:20.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 04-24-2013 , 20:02   Re: Learning C++ for Coding Extentions
Reply With Quote #15

Its been ages since i learned programming in school.. 10+ years? But they required us to start with c, ix86 and some motorola 8xxx something asm.. Then c++, Then data structures, networking, and some other specialized crap. Made a lot of sense at the time since you understood how things worked from the ground up. Honestly dont remember much after not using it for so long now. Seems c++ was pretty lazy, java as well. It encouraged people to write neat but inefficient code. And with computers today its fairly common and acceptable for people to be lazy or write code that just... Works. I do it too, should probably fix/stop doing that