Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[L4D2] Camfogl V004 competitive config. (Work in Progress)

Post New Thread Reply   

Author
Bainshie
Plugin ID:
Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    A new l4d2 competitive plug-in
    Old 01-08-2011 , 02:20   [L4D2] Camfogl V004 competitive config. (Work in Progress)
    Reply With Quote #1

Hi.

I am a old L4D2 player (Back when tanksmiths were no 1 in the EU, painful painful memories of playing against them and forgetting to bring lube) who like many others quit when high level L4D2 was just.... well LOL. And although a while back I considered joining in again (Some of you might remember the L4S community cup I ran) the meta game just seemed to stagnate into the same boring bait, wait for infected to attack, rush, repeat over 9000 times, slit wrists.

Now around this time I started a private project with another well known competitive player who's distaste with confogl is well known (I think we all know who I'm talking about) and started programming getting it to about 90% completion. However second year of uni started and I had issues finding someone to help test it with me. However now the new year is out....

The release for this is going to be simple. I'll be aiming to release a new module as soon as I get them finished to the standard I like.

Use this thread for ideas regarding the currently completed modules, balance issues with the plugin (This is a huge part that I need your help with) and bugs (Hopefully there isn't any )

Currently the config supports the 5 original maps. (Slight support for passing included, but meh). This is designed to be run on top of confogl currently, with the cfg I provided ran either after the confogl one, or added to it. In no cases should this plugin be active while doing a competitive match for an offical event, this is for scrims and such only.

Update 11/01/2011

Ok, right this is the first version of the plugin that's actually testable, due to my lack of experience with actually making scripts (Used to c++ coding from scratch.) Thanks to Confogl creators it now actually works with confogl, and has been packaged as such. I've been testing this with the 2.2 version of Confogl, but I don't see why this wont work on the latest offical release.

To run the plugin, just type !forcematch camfogl (With admin ofc)

Also I now have a server with this running on for those who don't own one but want to try (EU, UK)

85.234.148.158:27015

Searchkey is Camfogl (Imaginative I know!)

Changes with this patch

(v0.004)
    0.04 changes.

Removed most of the UI. Not only was it buggy, but it also meant that I had to recompile a new plugin every time I wanted to add a new map. This one will work 100% with any map that has a proper navigation flow.

Tried a different tank spawning thing. Before I was doing a lot of fancy stuff with making sure that when I called z_spawn tank auto it gave control to the right guy etc etc. Now I just call the command and hope that L4D2 knows what it's doing

Added new command cam_l4d2_ci_boomernum (default 4) this is how many extra common infected are called with each boomed suvivor.

Boomer horde now actually work with the correct Cvars (I stupidly fixed it manually at 25 )

Tank spawning can now be limited on a per server basis. Tank blocking is dealt with by the tankspawns.dat file (Which can be opened in any text editor) meaning servers can add and edit tank restrictions without me having to compile a new version. By default currently the first 10% of all maps are off limits

FOR MORE ADVANCED USERS.

Each line in the tankspawns.dat file is a tank restriction in the current format

mapidentifier:minflowrange:maxflowrange.

The map identifier is a string that is unique to the map. For instance C1M1
    Minflowrange and maxflowrange is a number that defines the starting and ending values of the current restriction. Every map has a flow distance, with 0 being the start, and increasing towards the end (Each map has a different ending number) If you want to find out the flow distance of a point in the map, go into versus mode, type !tankpick to go into tank picking mode, go to the specified position, and type !tankhere. It should generate the following message.

Successfully picked tank at XXX

XXX is the current flow distance.

(v0.003)
    Now actually works!
    Is now a proper confogl addon rather then the rubbish I was doing before.
    Tankpicking mode has been given a few extra messages to make syncromizing who's the tankpicker easier.
    Updated L4Dready to the latest version, meaning all the saferoom door stuff and survivor waiting is gone.

(0.02)
    Camreadyup.smx + camtank.smx
    Completely changed the way that the tank is chosen due to feedback.
    While in ready mode, you use the !tankpick command to be placed into tankpick mode (Basically spectator mode that keeps track of what team you're supposed to be on.)
    There can only be one person on tankpick mode per team.
    You fly around the map to the point that you want the tank, and then use the !tankhere command to set the tank

New plugin module: camci.smx
    Added the ability to remove uncommon infected, more incase Valve decides to throw another fallen survivor at us again . (Done via cvar, defaulted to 1)
    Boomer hordes are now variable. The numebr of commons spawned is 25 + (Number of players boomed *5) So you'll get around 30-45 zombies in a horde.

New CFG changes:
    Adds support for cam's config (v 002)
    Disables confogl's ready up system.
    Increases max common limit to 60, to make up for the bigger boomer horde sizes.
    Adds Realism cvars (See below). Although I know that confogl already kinda does this, they also only allow you to turn them all on and off, and not mix them.

sm_cvar sv_disable_glow_survivors //Disables the survivor glow, enabled in the cfg by default
    sm_cvar sv_disable_glow_faritems //Disables item glow, never really got this, so defaulted off.
    sm_cvar z_non_head_damage_factor_multiplier 0.5 //realism CI setting
    sm_cvar z_head_damage_causes_wounds 1 //realism CI setting
    sm_cvar z_use_next_difficulty_damage_factor 1 //realism CI setting
    sm_cvar z_witch_always_kills 0 //Witch kills with one hit. Defaulted off.

Changelog (0.01):
    Camreadyup.smx
    Old ready up functionality. (Props to downdown and the rest)
    Survivors can't move for 15 seconds after the first round ready up, to give infected time to spawn. Removes the need for a second ready
    Survivors can't move for 30 seconds after the second round, to give people time to load the map again, get through intros, then find a place to spawn. removes the need for a second ready.
    The door auto opens after the survivors can move.
    Door no longer auto opens before readys have been cast.
    Added UI and functionality for baintank plugin. Each side choses when they want their tank s by typing !tank XX (So !tank 55) Currently limited to 10-90.

Camtank.smx
    NEEDS COMPETITVE BALANCE (Tank percentages that are so powerful it's the only ones used removing)
    This addon is mostly from scratch, with little bits from the all4dead, confogl and SRSmod plugins.
    Tanks are chosen by the players by the camreadyup plugin.
    Tanks spawn when the survivors reach this percent
    Tanks frustration will only be reduced by 1 per second (Instead of the normal 5 per second) If the following happens:
    {
    The survivors move more then -0.2% of the map backwards during that second.
    The tank is more then 5% away from the survivors.
    }
    Tank frustration will lower by 2 per second if the tank is more then 10% of the map away (Assuming the tank has line of sight)
    Damage no longer slows down the tank.
    Confogl spec Tank UI added (Props to Confogl creators!)
    Ghost tank (Props to Ghost tank creators)
    Attached Files
    File Type: zip l4d2_camfogl_v004.zip (52.0 KB, 834 views)
    File Type: zip L4D2_camfogl_v400_src.zip (25.0 KB, 571 views)

Last edited by Bainshie; 02-05-2011 at 20:47.
    CrazzyMonkey
    Old 01-08-2011 , 20:03   Re: [L4D2] Cam's competitive config. (Name and work in progress.)
    Reply With Quote #2

So basically what this does is change some things that are already in Confogl? I'm not quite sure of what Im reading, but looks great ;)
    Old 01-08-2011 , 23:04   Re: [L4D2] Cam's competitive config. (Name and work in progress.)
    Reply With Quote #3

Sounds nice, but server not responding after installation. Is online, but can't run game (steam group server).
    AtomicStryker
    Veteran Member
    Old 01-09-2011 , 18:51   Re: [L4D2] Cam's competitive config. (Name and work in progress.)
    Reply With Quote #4

Looks like a really old l4dready version with slight modifications to have those 10 and 15 second timers with door opener.

Then copied and cobbled together stuff from confogl, teetasse's plugins and srsmod to achieve ... a tank ghost spawn. A faster tank when on fire. A tank not being slowed by bullets (thats 2 variables).

And a weird tank function which lets a team choose at which part of the map they want their tank. Isnt there convars that do this? min_spawn and max_spawn something

There's 2 things he .. more or less .. actually coded - the tank spawn map percentage and frustration reduction when survivors retreat. And they're not coded particularly well, i skimmed it and already saw redundancies. Mainly because its copy and paste here, aswell.

I suggest

a) basing it off a more current version of l4dready

b) reading the Sourcemod Guide on "Optimizing Plugins" carefully

c) writing the code by hand instead of copy and pasting blocks you deem fit. It really screws bug hunting, also you may not know what your plugin is actually doing
    Bainshie
    Old 01-09-2011 , 19:07   Re: [L4D2] Cam's competitive config. (Name and work in progress.)
    Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtomicStryker View Post
    Looks like a really old l4dready version with slight modifications to have those 10 and 15 second timers with door opener.

Then copied and cobbled together stuff from confogl, teetasse's plugins and srsmod to achieve ... a tank ghost spawn. A faster tank when on fire. A tank not being slowed by bullets (thats 2 variables).

And a weird tank function which lets a team choose at which part of the map they want their tank. Isnt there convars that do this? min_spawn and max_spawn something

There's 2 things he .. more or less .. actually coded - the tank spawn map percentage and frustration reduction when survivors retreat. And they're not coded particularly well, i skimmed it and already saw redundancies. Mainly because its copy and paste here, aswell.

I suggest

c) writing the code by hand instead of copy and pasting blocks you deem fit. It really screws bug hunting, also you may not know what your plugin is actually doing
    Yea I originally started A while back, with a older 14Dready version. I will be eventually updating that, just right now working with what I already have since I just updated the tank picking method to be easier on people who don't know map percentages.

A lot of the copied code was basically because originally it was supposed to replace confogl (I originally had a very negative experience with the original confogl owners) however due to the new confogl owners being more supportive, I've basically looked to just add this plugin ontop of confogl. So the latest version don't have most of the copied code.

I know a lot of the features are just cvar changes, but I'm trying to keep track of 3 different sources of information (The steam thread, this one, and cybergamers) so the easiest way is to make all 3 the same. Although people don't want to know about cvar changes here, in the other places they do

As for the tank choosing. Basically the cvar's there specify a range the tank can spawn in. However this is inaccurate (random) and the same for both teams (This is very very very bad for competitive play since team B gets a huge advantage.). Manually spawning the tank allows for a variety of control for both teams.
    CrazzyMonkey
    Old 01-09-2011 , 20:31   Re: [L4D2] Cam's competitive config. (Name and work in progress.)
    Reply With Quote #6

Hmm, what about the weapon tiers? Does this make any changes to it? Like disable all T2/T3 weapons by default, or allow a certain limit to it and completely leave T1 weapons? Or does it not affect it all? Just wondering

Oh and I was wondering if this allows or spawns a tank on every map ;)
    delirium_trigger
    SourceMod Donor
    Old 01-09-2011 , 21:40   Re: [L4D2] Cam's competitive config. (Name and work in progress.)
    Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtomicStryker View Post

I suggest

Do you memorize sources by any chance or do you assume that a decent amount of releases might be copied?

If its the first then damn you have brilliant memorization, if its the 2nd, I hope you're not like that in RL (just kidding). Either way you should be a detective or something with your memorization and observational skills.
    Mr. Zero
    Veteran Member
    Old 01-09-2011 , 22:23   Re: [L4D2] Cam's competitive config. (Name and work in progress.)
    Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delirium_trigger View Post
    Do you memorize sources by any chance or do you assume that a decent amount of releases might be copied?

If its the first then damn you have brilliant memorization, if its the 2nd, I hope you're not like that in RL (just kidding). Either way you should be a detective or something with your memorization and observational skills.
    Well, he is kinda co-wrote all of the copied plugins.

And looking through the source, its mostly copied with just confogl strings changed to his own brand.

Just a question to OP, why not just start a clone instead of this pastry?
    https://code.google.com/p/confogl/source/clones
    Bainshie
    Old 01-09-2011 , 23:16   Re: [L4D2] Cam's competitive config. (Name and work in progress.)
    Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
    Well, he is kinda co-wrote all of the copied plugins.

And looking through the source, its mostly copied with just confogl strings changed to his own brand.

Just a question to OP, why not just start a clone instead of this pastry?
    https://code.google.com/p/confogl/source/clones
    This is designed (Now, V002 is built differently from V001) to be mostly a addon to confogl, and with the mess the code is I prefer a more modulated approach rather then the all in one mess the current confogl is.

The only reason the readyup mod is copied is due to the fact I need to basically hook into the UI to make it look seemless. The rest of the stuff (Remember everything coded hasn't been shown yet) is coded or built up from scratch .
    AtomicStryker
    Veteran Member
    Old 01-10-2011 , 03:42   Re: [L4D2] Cam's competitive config. (Name and work in progress.)
    Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delirium_trigger View Post
    You don't code obviously, else you'd know the answer.

If you write stuff by hand you're bound to memorize it. And if you're fac simile'ing another plugin you memorize that aswell.

For example, Dowtown was the only one to ever use a MAXPLAYERS_PLUS_ONE define, lol.