Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - General

Post New Thread Reply   

WATCH_D0GS UNITED
Old 12-24-2023 , 09:36   Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekay View Post
If you thought this was funny, imagine this: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2590227

Last edited by WATCH_D0GS UNITED; 12-24-2023 at 09:38.
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 12-25-2023 , 15:50   Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Website
Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 01-08-2024 , 18:46   Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH_D0GS UNITED View Post
Very simple solution:

In order to sign-up at AlliedModders.net, please send $3 to the following address..."
Sounds like we're having some of the same thoughts?

Well, once in the past, on Discord, someone was bringing up something, that sounded like complaints that the administrators/moderators were not doing enough in order to combat the spam on the forums, although I didn't comment it at that time, I was thinking about a comment like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL's Thought
We can always set up a $100 USD registration fee, that you have to pay in order to have your account activated. It will likely kill a lot of the spam bots, but it will surely also prevent some people from being able to participate.
I'm however under the impression that we would get a lot of hate with that...

Quote:
That would stop them all at once.
I don't think we would be stopping all of them at once, alone with a $3 fee though.

Quote:
But to be fair to users out of not so rich countries, it should be any currency and a low number.
I don't think a low number would give the solution to the problem though.

In the end, we're always getting back to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDeviL View Post
That being said, I will be more than happy to admit that I also believe more things could be tried, in order to act more pro-actively to the issues.

But two questions comes up again and again, in regards to that:
  1. How many false positives do we want?
  2. What is most important?
    a) Effective spam bot defence
    b) That we are not limiting the ability for regular users to use the forums.
A registration fee could solve 2.a, but it will add complications in regards to 2.b, especially if we're talking about the not so rich countries, as mentioned above.

An alternative to the registration fee could be the KYC kind of way, like banks / financial institutions, where we would require identity documents (e.g. passport, driver license, ...) in order to activate the account.

But such kind of KYC would likely be scaring people away, or otherwise give complications just like a registration fee would.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
mlibre
Veteran Member
Old 01-09-2024 , 10:30   Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhob94 View Post
That would block more real users that suck at math and some spambots would still bypass it
Of course I exaggerated a little, something as basic as addition and subtraction.

Quote:
A such kind of captcha, or any other kind of captcha, even if you create your own customized one, it will proving it's effect for a very limited amount of time.
It will take some time to adjust, it can serve as a temporary "brake", which is still better than nothing.
Old 02-28-2024 , 14:07   Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH_D0GS UNITED View Post
Very simple solution:

In order to sign-up at AlliedModders.net, please send $3 to the following address..."
Jhob94
AMX Mod X Donor
Old 02-28-2024 , 15:06   Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera
Reply With Quote #16

Will never happen. This is a free open source community as it should.
The problem is not the spambots, the problem is that we need more active staff. Also a tool to delete or at least move to a staff-only sub-forum would also be nice to make the forum more clean.
Old 03-10-2024 , 10:04   Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera
Reply With Quote #17

Old 03-13-2024 , 09:10   Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
That being said, I will be more than happy to admit that I also believe more things could be tried, in order to act more pro-actively to the issues.

But two questions comes up again and again, in regards to that:
[LIST=1][*]How many false positives do we want?
I've also manage a forum and adding captcha to <1 month old or <50 posts accounts reduced spam drastically.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-14-2024 , 03:38   Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeeeeeeeeel.- View Post
I've also manage a forum and adding captcha to <1 month old or <50 posts accounts reduced spam drastically.
And your forum has a country block.

六四天安門事件
mlibre
Veteran Member
Old 03-14-2024 , 09:14   Re: is this site get hacked? an invalid thread and user appears in Sourcemod - Genera
Reply With Quote #20

the idea of ​​limiting participation in the forum without first making a payment, I don't think it would be a good option, you know why, just look at the donations received and draw your conclusions, I still maintain the hypothesis of implementing an innovative captcha. We are not programmers? get creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by +ARUKARI- View Post
And your forum has a country block.
due to ddos ​​attacks