Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

VSH Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!

Post New Thread Reply   

Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 10-25-2015 , 15:45   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #571

Nergal says BAILOPAN has told him countless times that the SM team is going to break compatibility for ALL old syntax plugins by 1.8-1.9.

I've been told every time I asked for a follow up on that statement that it's untrue. (By either asherkin or psychonic, forget who).

Thinking about it logically I doubt they would, because many communities probably use over hundreds of plugins (or maybe 30) but none of them will ever get updated unless one of the random lurkers still around this forum happens to go to them and post an update.

And for people like me it's just pointless busy work to get rewrite over 100 plugins to not really change their functionality at all, just so they'll still work because they were broken for no reason.

VSH will only ever get its syntax updated if it ends up being forced, or if someone better and more active than me takes over its development. Until then there's no real reason to, if they really do make such a breaking change, server owners will have more than VSH being outdated to worry about anyway, and Nergal claims he can do the conversion really fast anyway.

Last edited by Chdata; 10-25-2015 at 15:47.
Wliu
Veteran Member
Old 10-25-2015 , 16:29   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #572

I've also been told that old-style will continue to be supported, just that new features will only be added to new-style (as expected).

A quote by Bailopan from his original post about the new API:
Quote:
All of the changes are opt-in, and old scripts will continue to compile.
I'm more open to the new syntax, just that I don't feel like it's worth it to convert a plugin to it just because.
Veteran Member
Old 10-25-2015 , 19:25   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #573

yeah I make from-scratch stuff in new

but at the same time everything I use from before is already old, and it's a hassle if I have to port code between all my projects. so why am I even using new.
Old 10-26-2015 , 12:50   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #574

At some point, the SM devs have said that new features may only be added in new-style syntax, presumably in methodmaps.

However, since not all new features come from the core SM devs (I wrote SM 1.8's GetMapDisplayName for example), that may not always be true.
Old 10-29-2015 , 02:30   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #575

Hello,

The update today seemed to break my server (crashing upon Hale round start) and no error logs were being produced. I disabled saxtonhale.smx temporarily to see if it was causing the crash and disabling this did stop the crashing.
Edit: Server is now crashing at the start of the normal round (with plugin enabled)

I'm still not 100% sure if its this plugin causing this but thanks for any help

Edit-edit:
I re-ran the saxtonhale.smx and it printed in tf/addons/sourcemod/logs
Code:
L 10/29/2015 - 17:34:25: [SM] Native "IsClientInGame" reported: Client index -1 is invalid
L 10/29/2015 - 17:34:25: [SM] Displaying call stack trace for plugin "saxtonhale.smx":
L 10/29/2015 - 17:34:25: [SM]   [0]  Line 2044, C:\Users\Anne\Desktop\Stuff\PATH\sourcemod1.7\saxtonhale.sp::event_round_end()
Edit-edit-edit:
It appears if I have a bot on the other team before the starter timer (the long timer at the start of the map) ends, the server will crash as soon as the timer hits 0:00
But if I wait for the timer to hit 0:00 then add a bot, it will spawn us both and will crash upon the start of the next round.

Last edited by adma; 10-29-2015 at 03:36.
Transit Of Venus
Old 10-29-2015 , 07:51   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #576

To fix VSH:

Put this in Gamedata:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit Of Venus View Post
New Gamedata from todays Update Download
And then this:
Quote:
Download the above and Update TF2 Items, Make sure to use 273, Download
And finally SourceMod and Metamod

Click on the banner to explore my servers and more

Last edited by Transit Of Venus; 10-29-2015 at 07:51.
Send a message via ICQ to Transit Of Venus Send a message via Skype™ to Transit Of Venus
adma
Old 10-29-2015 , 08:01   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #577

Quote:
To fix VSH:

Put this in Gamedata:

And then this:

And finally SourceMod and Metamod
Thanks Transit, realised this was the problem after thinking about it for 7 hours

Cheers for your help
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 10-29-2015 , 10:48   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #578

I'll fix that small error case, but I forgot to mention, since VSH uses TF2Items and TF2Attributes, if either one breaks (and you're using it), then VSH will too, with or without errors.

Last edited by Chdata; 10-29-2015 at 10:48.
Transit Of Venus
Old 10-30-2015 , 00:50   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #579

And it's just annoying that TF2 has updated way to many times this month.

Click on the banner to explore my servers and more
Send a message via ICQ to Transit Of Venus Send a message via Skype™ to Transit Of Venus
Hefal
Old 10-30-2015 , 01:01   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #580

Rookie problem. As Saxton I cant stomp others. Any idea why? It works the other way around.