Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot

Post New Thread Reply   

slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 10-01-2007 , 14:38   Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot
Reply With Quote #1

I dual-booted my fresh install of Windows XP Pro 64-bit with a Windows Vista 64-bit, however after the install GParted and Partition magic claims my entire hard drive is file type "BAD" instead of NTFS :-\. I have tried repairs, fix master boot record, and multiple different checks such as CHKDSK

I hope someone can help me figure out how to fix this without reformatting AGAIN. If I do, I will make my friend dual-boot for me because I cannot get along with boot loaders if my life depended on it!

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
Ingram
Veteran Member
Old 10-01-2007 , 15:18   Re: Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot
Reply With Quote #2

I don't know if your hard drive actually has a problem, but aren't you supposed to install the newer operating system after the old one to dual boot? I remember I tried to put windows 2000 on an external hard drive when I had windows xp installed, and it screwed up my windows xp installation (even on a different drive). I got it working again by running a repair installation, maybe that'll help you.
Pro Patria Finland
Old 10-01-2007 , 15:30   Re: Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot
Reply With Quote #3

To be honest - even though it doesn't seem to be so - I am beginning to think this is more of a hardware issue. I have never seen so much trouble in getting a dual-boot working (not that it's your fault in any way though). I wish I could help, but that's all I can think of.
Veteran Member
Old 10-01-2007 , 16:10   Re: Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot
Reply With Quote #4

I have been wanting to replace my SATA I Maxtor hard drive with a SATA II Seagate or Western Digital but since I already have 2 hard drives I have been hesitant... I don't know what to do; I did have XP Pro 64-bit installed first then Vista 64 and everything was going fine until I shut down Vista after I think I may have incorrectly set settings in the EASYBCD (Vista bootloader modifying program). So I may have actually messed it up myself so I will probably delete the vista partition and see if I can somehow repair XP bootloader and the installation preserving all my data and such. Then once everything is repaired, I will try to follow the directions perfectly so no problems arise.

Maybe someone has specific idea of how to perform such a repair because programs like Partition Magic and GParted won't do anything to my computer because they don't view the hard drive as there.

Thanks guys.

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 10-02-2007 , 01:55   Re: Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot
Reply With Quote #5

Okay good news and bad news...

I got Vista 64 installed after deleting then formatting the partition. So now I am using Vista on a 35 GiB partition however XP Pro 64-bit is royally f-ed up now!

For some reason the core functions (display and such) is now dysfunctional. I guess vista screws with other partitions when it should NOT!

I may actually have to run a repair on the windows files AGAIN - so sick of this shit - so fucking sick of everything!

Slmclarengt

Twilight Suzuka
bad
Old 10-02-2007 , 12:29   Re: Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot
Reply With Quote #6

Try not failing the first eleventy times.
Veteran Member
Old 10-02-2007 , 16:27   Re: Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Suzuka View Post
Try not failing the first eleventy times.
You know Suzuka, I have put up with you for over 3 years as we both joined in July 2004 and I am fed up with your shit. No one else has the guts to bitch you out because you are or are supposed to be a respected member of the amxx community. From what I have seen and observed with your 'so-called help', you are nothing but a two-faced, conceited and arrogant fool.

I could careless if this was meant to be 'funny' - it wasn't because this issue seems to be more of a microsoft installing strangely to my maxtor drive than anything. Possibly my drive has failed 'eleventy times' because it seems to have issues with 1) Windows XP bootloader, 2) Windows Vista bootloader and 3) Linux GRUB bootloader.

Do me personally a favor Suzuka; if you can't be productive and beneficial to a mere discussion, leave it alone and stop wasting my time and others time with your nonsense spam.

@ Suzuka again - you can write your code well and it works beautifully but guess what, coding in the real world gets you stuck into dead-end jobs paying less than 6-figure salaries your whole life. You may not be a programmer for a living but I sure hope you understand programming is not the end-all-be-all and respect should play a larger role in your attempts to be funny or 'help.'

Slmclarengt

l33tnewb
BANNED
Old 10-02-2007 , 17:25   Re: Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot
Reply With Quote #8

Ok, i know much about pc You can I.e
1.reinstall
2. Make sure the wires are in properly
3. make sure the wires are not faulty
4. make sure ur fan works
5.make sure no wires are cut or nothing
6. makes sure No.Dust is in there
7.kthxbai
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 10-02-2007 , 17:40   Re: Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tnewb View Post
Ok, i know much about pc You can I.e
1.reinstall
2. Make sure the wires are in properly
3. make sure the wires are not faulty
4. make sure ur fan works
5.make sure no wires are cut or nothing
6. makes sure No.Dust is in there
7.kthxbai
Lol... thanks I guess... The only one of those I think that might be causing my problem and/or related to my issue is the 1.reinstall because the rest of the issues are physical issues. Clearly right now this issue is merely software/OS problems the actual drive is fine although speaking of fans, I should buy a 92mm fan to cool my drives.

Slmclarengt

Ingram
Veteran Member
Old 10-03-2007 , 00:22   Re: Hard Drive BAD after dual-boot
Reply With Quote #10

Prehaps you should install windows xp without partitioning the drive and do a full (not quick) format. At least this type of format will fail if your drive has a hardware problem.

And yeah, windows does seem to alter other partitions and drives. I cannot understand why it would alter other physical drives, but I can see it needing its boot information in each partition.