Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Report server concerns

Post New Thread Reply   

Mavrick4283
Veteran Member
Old 11-07-2011 , 11:55   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
Good luck.

The server has no knowledge of any of it, let alone the ability to block it.

It's strictly between the client and the GC ("item server").
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-07-2011 , 15:04   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick View Post
As it stands now you can just join server after server and press F7 all day long or the same one over and over again which may or may not become a issue for that server - Valve hasn't made it known its intentions or how it will police these reports. It's fair to say that the community as a whole needs to protect its rights if it's going to put the resources into a server and let players join. Now if that player doesn't agree with the setup or how things are run and they complain then it still should allow the Administrator/owner of that server the ability to contest the problem or at the very least add that users SteamID to a ban log to prevent them from rejoining and reporting over and over.
The same user hitting F7 repeatedly for the same server will likely end up in 1 report filed against said server total.

I would hope there's some plan in place to catch users that are posting reports from the same IP (particularly if they're a bunch of free accounts).

Having said that, the whole reporting thing was introduced by Valve to avoid an "arms race" (Fletcher Dunn's choice of words) between Valve and abusive communities (saigns.de, nightteam, etc...)

Last edited by Powerlord; 11-07-2011 at 15:05.
sinblaster
Grim Reaper
Old 11-07-2011 , 15:50   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConkertheCat View Post
Guys....look at his user name....how can you take anything he says seriously... ._.
As apposed to ConkertheCat? you're funny.

I think the whole reporting system is awesome, like VAC is awesome.

Powerlord, what about servers run by asshats that have asshats for players, There are plenty of them about, some asshat clans and asshat servers have large numbers. I think the whole report system is fucked. I think if "Fletcher Dunn" was ever a gamer, he has forgotten way too much.

Last edited by sinblaster; 11-07-2011 at 15:53.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-07-2011 , 17:15   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinblaster View Post

I think the whole reporting system is awesome, like VAC is awesome.

Powerlord, what about servers run by asshats that have asshats for players, There are plenty of them about, some asshat clans and asshat servers have large numbers. I think the whole report system is fucked. I think if "Fletcher Dunn" was ever a gamer, he has forgotten way too much.
I love how you quote his name, acting like you don't know who he is despite being subscribed to the Valve mailing lists.

Like it or not, Fletcher Dunn is one of the two srcds developers who actually talks to us, the other being Henry Goffin (who tends to comment on replay and SourceTV issues). And frankly, the hostility he sees on that list, I'm wondering why he even bothers.

Last edited by Powerlord; 11-07-2011 at 17:16.
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-07-2011 , 19:22   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
And frankly, the hostility he sees on that list, I'm wondering why he even bothers.
That's because the list is a open subscribe... anyone can join it and comment thru it which is not what it should be. You should have to be approved by credentials of some sorts like ownership of the server before you can join.

What's posted on it seems to find its way to the TF2 (recently hacked) lol way too fast if you ask me... but that's a whole different discussion.

This idea of a log at least is a good one if you ask me... even go as far to say the blocking of the ability to use F7 while on the server for the sake of protecting something you've spent a lot of time setting up.

The way I look at is if you don't like how the server is run - leave and play on another...simple!
sinblaster
Grim Reaper
Old 11-07-2011 , 19:34   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
I love how you quote his name, acting like you don't know who he is despite being subscribed to the Valve mailing lists.

Like it or not, Fletcher Dunn is one of the two srcds developers who actually talks to us, the other being Henry Goffin (who tends to comment on replay and SourceTV issues). And frankly, the hostility he sees on that list, I'm wondering why he even bothers.

I quoted his name because you did. I would assume he bothers because he either got the short straw or because he has personal issues?

Last edited by sinblaster; 11-07-2011 at 19:37.
ConkertheCat
Old 11-08-2011 , 08:43   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Maybe he/she just like horses.
maybe a bit toooo much

Quote:
Conker the Cat......is better then.... "HorseDick"

Geeze its like the type of user names you see on troll sites or when a troll joins a site ._. (no offese to the user...its just a weird name) :s

So yeah ._. nothing funny about it

Last edited by ConkertheCat; 11-08-2011 at 08:55.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-08-2011 , 09:55   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
I quoted his name because you did.
No I didn't, I quoted "arms race," namely because it's a direct quote. In no version of that post did I quote his name.
Grim Reaper
Old 11-08-2011 , 09:57   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Having said that, the whole reporting thing was introduced by Valve to avoid an "arms race" (Fletcher Dunn's choice of words) between Valve and abusive communities (saigns.de, nightteam, etc...)