Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[CSGO] Can connect via public IP, but not via internal IP from LAN.

Post New Thread Reply   

wheeler9691
Old 11-15-2017 , 10:55   [CSGO] Can connect via public IP, but not via internal IP from LAN.
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

I've setup 8 CSGO servers. These servers are running on my Dell R710 in my basement. 4 of them are running FFA deathmatch, and the others are running retakes. These servers are working flawlessly as far as the public is concerned.

Fortunately, I have a work computer fast enough to run CSGO, so I often check settings there to see the effects from a network outside my own. I can connect from my work computer, and confirm that things are working, but I cannot connect when inside my network.

My screen shows Searching.... Joining Game.... Failed to Join Game....

This is not in console. This is a box that pops up over the main menu whether I connect from server browser or directly by IP.

I have tried having a friend connect to my server remotely, but while he is in the server, I still cannot join locally. I have tried sv_lan 0 and 1. Both of which return the same results.

I suspect there is a command I need that I cannot remember. I had this working 6 months ago, lost my Proxmox install, and finally gave it another go. I am using Linux Game Server Manager, just as before.

I'm using PfSense as my firewall, and have a lot of experience port forwarding with it. I'm very confident that nothing in my firewall is causing this.

I can provide any other information necessary. I've read a ton of threads, but none seem to address my issue.
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 11-15-2017 , 17:20   Re: [CSGO] Can connect via public IP, but not via internal IP from LAN.
Reply With Quote #2

Are you using the remote or local IP when connecting within the LAN?

You should be using the remote IP and your router should use NAT to traverse your connection back to the local box.
Old 11-15-2017 , 17:54   Re: [CSGO] Can connect via public IP, but not via internal IP from LAN.
Reply With Quote #3

Thanks for the reply. I do not use my public ip when inside my local network.

If this is truly necessary Id learn how to setup the routing, but I never had to do this in previous iterations of these servers. Im under the impression that I have a configuration problem. My guess is something to do with lobby reservations.

Thanks for your help
Neuro Toxin
Veteran Member
Old 11-16-2017 , 02:07   Re: [CSGO] Can connect via public IP, but not via internal IP from LAN.
Reply With Quote #4

Try your public ip.

Most routers have NAT enabled to route the WAN IP back through the LAN network even when they dont have NAT configuration pages.

Does it work?

Last edited by Neuro Toxin; 11-16-2017 at 02:48.
wheeler9691
Old 11-16-2017 , 07:22   Re: [CSGO] Can connect via public IP, but not via internal IP from LAN.
Reply With Quote #5

Connecting via my public IP address does not work. I'll keep looking for other options.

Thanks for your help