Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Is there a way to detect client packet loss?

Post New Thread Reply   

GoldNux
Old 03-21-2018 , 07:03   Is there a way to detect client packet loss?
Reply With Quote #1

I would like to know if there is a way to detect if clients get a loss of packets on my server due to incorrect rates, so that I can recommend other rates to them.

Some complain that the bullets don't go straight, and after I guide them trough the process of looking at the net_graph 1 and changing cmdrate and updaterate it is usually fixed.

So I would like to know this, is there a way? Thanks.
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 03-21-2018 , 10:31   Re: Is there a way to detect client packet loss?
Reply With Quote #2

I used to just have an automated message that played every once in a while, "If you think the server sucks, try adjusting your rates properly!"
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 03-21-2018 , 12:36   Re: Is there a way to detect client packet loss?
Reply With Quote #3

FYI,

rate and updaterate can be forced by the server using sv_minrate/sv_maxrate and sv_minupaterate/sv_maxupdaterate. The only one that they would need to change manually is the cmdrate.

So, for cmdrate, you could do query the cvar cl_cmdrate and if it seems low you can suggest to them to increase it.
Old 03-21-2018 , 16:05   Re: Is there a way to detect client packet loss?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
FYI,

rate and updaterate can be forced by the server using sv_minrate/sv_maxrate and sv_minupaterate/sv_maxupdaterate. The only one that they would need to change manually is the cmdrate.

So, for cmdrate, you could do query the cvar cl_cmdrate and if it seems low you can suggest to them to increase it.
This thread says you should lower your updaterate if you have yellow dots.
And make your cmdrate go higher if you have red dots.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=126383209
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 03-21-2018 , 17:47   Re: Is there a way to detect client packet loss?
Reply With Quote #5

Just out of curiosity, where are you hosting servers that people aren't able to meet a reasonable sv_minrate/sv_minupdaterate setting?

Sometimes, it's important to recognize that, by and large, the community is too dumb to set up their game correctly, and as a server owner you can either force their rates or have everybody leave because they think their shitty performance is your server and not their horribly configured game.

Are there more people who would be harmed by setting a sv_minrate/sv_minupdaterate? Or are there more people who would be fine with higher rates but don't know how to configure them on their own?

Last edited by ghostofmybrain; 03-21-2018 at 17:49.
GoldNux
Old 03-21-2018 , 19:07   Re: Is there a way to detect client packet loss?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmybrain View Post
Just out of curiosity, where are you hosting servers that people aren't able to meet a reasonable sv_minrate/sv_minupdaterate setting?

Sometimes, it's important to recognize that, by and large, the community is too dumb to set up their game correctly, and as a server owner you can either force their rates or have everybody leave because they think their shitty performance is your server and not their horribly configured game.

Are there more people who would be harmed by setting a sv_minrate/sv_minupdaterate? Or are there more people who would be fine with higher rates but don't know how to configure them on their own?
For most people my settings work just fine.
I use:
sv_maxrate 100000
sys_ticrate 1000
sv_maxupdaterate 100000
sv_minupdaterate 80000

Sometimes people need to turn up their cl_cmdrate a little.
Server is located in Sweden, and the players are mostly swedish.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 03-21-2018 , 20:35   Re: Is there a way to detect client packet loss?
Reply With Quote #7

Your update rate values are wrong. The value should be between 0 and 100. So, a reasonable update rate range would be:

sv_minupdaterate 80
sv_maxupdaterate 100

These are values I use for server that I manage.

You'll probably also want to set sv_minrate to some reasonable value like 50000.

Also, it is true that rates should be optimized on an individual basis because a person's connection quality impacts the what would be the optimal values used. This is why you give them a range to use for rate and updaterate. So, you would typically set your min and max to keep everyone in a 'good' range but still allow them to do some optimization if they can.

Last edited by fysiks; 03-21-2018 at 20:37.
SomewhereLost
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-22-2018 , 08:08   Re: Is there a way to detect client packet loss?
Reply With Quote #8

I cant get one thing about these rates, one says that any Max rate (maxupdate or maxrate) should be the maximum if the machine can handle it, I got this one but, what about the Minrates? They also say Min rate (minupdate or minrate) should be low, something like sv_minrate 2500,5000 or sv_minupdaterate 20,30

And then I see somewhere else minrate 50000, 80000 and minupdate up to 60 or 80. Like whats the main difference between setting those minrates low or high. I also read that setting it to high decreases the choke.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-22-2018 , 08:17   Re: Is there a way to detect client packet loss?
Reply With Quote #9

The rate setting specifies how many bytes can a server send to you per second. It's a client setting so you can configure it so that it suits your connection, but a server can also set lower and upper bounds for that, so it forces you to receive at least sv_minrate and up to sv_maxrate bytes per second.
Old 03-22-2018 , 08:58   Re: Is there a way to detect client packet loss?
Reply With Quote #10

So that still depends on the majority player's connection?
Then, if set minrates to high and the client's connection isnt that good, is he going to get overflow or?