Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Forum Name Change Feature Question.

Post New Thread Reply   

SEGA EMPRESS ERIS
Old 07-14-2021 , 04:32   Forum Name Change Feature Question.
Reply With Quote #1

Curious, why does this forum take 90 days to change your name before you can again and you can't reuse an old name?

I personally think that system needs an upgrade. As an example, It should be more like Google, Since Google is successful. In Google, you can change your name to whatever, whenever, and its popular like Sourcemod. If you are open to new ideas like upgrading you can be extremely successful like Google, which has a good name changing system. Sourcemod needs a better one, at least to the level like Google.

Here I will give an example for an upgrade.

0 days on renaming yourself, like Google.
You can reuse old usernames you used, like Google.

It shouldn't cost any money to change your name. Currently it costs 20 bucks & 90 days on changing again. Also, you can't reuse old names you previously used. This isn't that good.

On another note I understand why you have a fee there on changing names, to help fund Sourcemod.

But hands down, remove the "you can't reuse old usernames you previously used." That's bogus.
Remove that at least. Also lower the 90 days to 1 hour tops. So it's more like Google. Which is extremely successful. Again, 90 days, and can't use old names you previously used, is ridiculous. Please upgrade that feature. Because Sourcemod is pretty good. It deserves better than that.

Thank you for reading.

(Please constructive feedback only, I really want the Sourcemod forum admins to upgrade their name change feature.)
Old 07-14-2021 , 06:34   Re: Forum Name Change Feature Question.
Reply With Quote #2

I'm sure there is reason from past 10 years, how forum users have abusive it and spambots.

After all, this is not Google or fast phase chat Discord where comments disappear in bit space.

In here, people topics and post will stay history for later use.
And there are post where people mention other users by name, if users start change own names often, it will mess post chain.

I say, it's best to choose nickname once and stick to it.
髪を用心
Old 07-14-2021 , 07:42   Re: Forum Name Change Feature Question.
Reply With Quote #3

I'm personally against changes to it. If people could change their name whenever they wanted, I would have to nickname everyone on the forum like I do my steam friends list because people can't stick with a name. Like Bacardi said, it would make searching more difficult as well.

There are also a lot of veteran members who have been on these forums for years that have never donated but were willing to buy a name change. The name change fee seems to be serving it's purpose in getting many of those individuals to contribute towards the overall costs.
Psyk0tik
Veteran Member
Old 07-14-2021 , 10:02   Re: Forum Name Change Feature Question.
Reply With Quote #4

I remember asherkin stating somewhere before (I think it was the Discord server?) that the fee and the 90-day cooldown are both meant to deter/discourage people from wanting to change their usernames often. I think these limits should stay as this forum is also used for archiving discussions that people can find helpful in the long run. The less often people change their usernames, the easier it is for users to associate certain names with their work, discussions, etc.
Old 07-15-2021 , 16:40   Re: Forum Name Change Feature Question.
Reply With Quote #5

This is what I suggest, from what I've seen thus far in this thread, since it got feedback.

1. 0 time on changing your name.
2. you can reuse old names.
3. leave the fee of 20$
4. first name used is preserved forever on Sourcemod. Newer names are allowed but it always shows your original, first name, in all future posts, with your new name. That you can change any time, for a fee of 20$.

That, is completely fair.

What do you think?