Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Once a Patch, Now a Fork

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

BOOM
Old 08-03-2004 , 04:47  

now if i was Bill Clinton the awards would be given to these Developer's of AMXX yeah but i'm j/p guys haha.
DoubleDoom
Old 08-03-2004 , 05:41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepeace
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMouse[WrG
]Again, you miss the p*SMACK*
The AMX developers are trying to one-up the AMXx developers, so the AMXx developers are simply showing how the products compare.

The AMX and AMXx communities are largely cooperative with one another. It's people like you what cause unrest.

Perhaps AMX should put up a chart showing how its NEXT version is going to be better than AMXX, just like AMXX has done now? or perhaps a charge showing all AMXX bugs and problems and how AMX doesnt have these problems

The commuities are largely cooperative, as you say, and although that is likely to gradually move away a bit as the differences in plugins grows, its a shame that a few people have taken offence of a new release of amx. That is surprising as there was never a post saying amx is a dead project. The only ones saying that were the amxx team who had a vested interest in getting people away from amx.

AMX is in development, there will be more versions. Get used to the idea. Stop complaining and get on with fixing your own bugs rather than whinge about amx.
195.20.109.115:27015 No Sniper/AWP, 32player
http://loonyasylum.net
Deagle
Veteran Member
Old 08-03-2004 , 05:51  

ok i read all posts (most is bullocks)
Can anybody tell me why it was first stated that amx was dead?
and why it was continued?
and finally
why didnt all just stay together if there were to proceed in developing amx

look at this post from a simple users point of view pls
BOOM
Old 08-03-2004 , 06:38  

can people read what's this site is for? and what the forum name is called? guys open your eyes real bigggg use glasses if it's necessary and look is it AMX or AMXX? you see AMX Mod X so... don't talk about AMX? okay?
DoubleDoom
Old 08-03-2004 , 06:42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOM
can people read what's this site is for? and what the forum name is called? guys open your eyes real bigggg use glasses if it's necessary and look is it AMX or AMXX? you see AMX Mod X so... don't talk about AMX? okay?
That frankly is a little daft considering how closely linked the mods are. Also remember where all the plugins and original code came from.
195.20.109.115:27015 No Sniper/AWP, 32player
http://loonyasylum.net
DopeFish
Old 08-03-2004 , 07:05  

chill guys-- please ;)

I'll answer these questions as far as I can remember the stuff back then, so don't flame me if I'm wrong, just correct the mistakes ;)
> Can anybody tell me why it was first stated that amx was dead?
Because OLO stopped development of amxmod and forbid further releases of the project under the same name. The development team was therefore forced to use a new name.

> and why it was continued?
amxmodx? I have no idea, probably to fix basic errors and to round up the package.

> why didnt all just stay together if there were to proceed in developing amx
Because amxmod was announced dead by the maintainer and there was no further development planned. Actually I have no idea who changed the amxmod code and released it under a new name. And since no sourcecode was released, I have no idea what exactly was changed (which in itself is pretty illegal since is is based on previous version of amxmod which were released under GPL, but no one cares since OLO definatly won't press the matter).

I support Amxmodx in differnt ways, donations, plugin conversions, IRC help. Even if I don't use amxmodx, I try my best to make sure my plugins work with it. My server runs on amxmod 0.9.bla (had to fix some erros in the code and compile the thing myself). Amxmodx 0.16 doesn't run 100% flawlessly on my server, but I know that if I find a amxx problem and report it, it won't be ignored. The changes between amxmod 0.9.8 and 0.9.9 have been so broad that I doubt I will upgrade to amx 0.9.9, it is easier for me to go to amxx 0.20. And I doubt I will try to make sure that my plugins work with amx 0.9.9

Why I support the amxmodx community even though I don't use it yet? Because Amxmodx listens to the people who use it, they accept criticism and suggestions and communicate with the community.

Amxmod simply isn't transparent enough, a clandestine group of people who ignore the community spit out a unexpexted version of amxmod without source (I might as well put a sign on my server "own my box, shells for free"). No way that is going on my server.

This isn't a "amxx is good, amx is evil" posting, this is only my perception experience with the two. Every admin should judge for himself what he needs and wants to use on his server.
Send a message via ICQ to DopeFish
BAILOPAN
Old 08-03-2004 , 07:06  

Hrm, at once the code was really close but much of it has been rewritten with a process I call "de-OLO-izing" ;]

Not to insult OLO's talent as a computer scientist but the code behind AMX was extremely messy. PM has done a great job in reorganizing, simplyifing, and optimizing the code.

In the end, what OLO gave us was a great idea and a framework to build off :]
Old 08-03-2004 , 07:23  

We (server admins) should be thankful for every single developer who adds functionality and fun to our servers. I personally don't care about feature bla and compatibility issue blubb, i just choose what is best for my server.

Thanks to all the authors of AdminMod, AMX, AMXX and not to forget hundreds of plugin developer for many hours of configuring, swearing, crying and laughing with my regular players on our CS clan-server.

For all you others having to much spare time (probably): Enjoy posting this thread until it becomes one of the biggest and most useless one on this nice forum. ;)

My statement is not to be meant offensive to anyone, it should be just an inspiration to (re-)focus on the really important things of life (like having fun).

Love & Peace!
VorsichtFalle
Deagle
Veteran Member
Old 08-03-2004 , 07:27  

Thank you for your time and answers
my destination is set.
CheesyPeteza
Old 08-03-2004 , 07:36  

Olo rocks, he brought so many good things to Half-Life. He is up there with the Botman, Alfred Reynolds and Will Day in taking Half-Life modding to new levels.

The bad thing about AMXMod being updated is the confusion it causes for server admins. The good thing is it will make both teams work harder. (Although I don't know if PM and Bailopan could work any harder )

So AMXMod 0.9.9 has been in development for sometime now, but nobody was told. Hmm what could their reasoning be for that? Seems there is a bit of underhanded tactics by both sides.

So is this AMXMods almost final update? Just bug fixes for 1.0 then left?

[email protected]

Closed Thread