Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

CS:GO failed to join session workaround

Post New Thread Reply   

musosoft
Old 06-30-2014 , 03:59   CS:GO failed to join session workaround
Reply With Quote #1

Sometimes when connection to steam servers is lost, it's needed to reset session, which seems to be possible by disconnecting all players. Until this is done, players will get "Failed to join session" error while connecting. Would be awesome if someone know better way to get rind of this. What I've heard it's possible to check connection with steam servers with SteamWorks extension, and then when connection problem is detected, force players to reconnect (like this), so session will be renewed. I know this is ugly workaround, but as Valve wasn't able to fix this mandatory bug for a long time, this remains on us. If you know about better solution, feel free to share info with us. Someone with good scripting experience would then make this thing real. Will do my best with testing, debugging (can also donate this). Thanks everyone involved in helping with this issue, this will appreciate everyone from CS:GO custom servers community.

Last edited by musosoft; 06-30-2014 at 04:02.
winniethepooh
SourceMod Donor
Old 07-01-2014 , 09:54   Re: CS:GO failed to join session workaround
Reply With Quote #2

CS:GO doesn't allow the server to execute the retry command on the client like other games.

There is a hidden variable - steamworks_sessionid_server. I've noticed that it tends to get set to 0 when the connection is lost. When I was messing with it last I think I observed that it can be reset to 0 for other reasons too.
musosoft
Old 07-01-2014 , 10:09   Re: CS:GO failed to join session workaround
Reply With Quote #3

That's shame, CS:GO doesn't even have askconnect_accept. There must be better workaround, something like Bacardi said.

Oh, I hate that game a lot, how it became business only!
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-01-2014 , 13:23   Re: CS:GO failed to join session workaround
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepooh View Post
CS:GO doesn't allow the server to execute the retry command on the client like other games.

There is a hidden variable - steamworks_sessionid_server. I've noticed that it tends to get set to 0 when the connection is lost. When I was messing with it last I think I observed that it can be reset to 0 for other reasons too.
What about a mod where it detects when this value is 0? I presume it will have to send a heartbeat to the server every 30 seconds-1 minute
JoB2C
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-03-2014 , 05:57   Re: CS:GO failed to join session workaround
Reply With Quote #5

With a plugin, you don't need to read this cvar, SteamWorks is exposing a forward for it.

A great thing would be to find a way to reconnect to steam without disconnecting players.

Last edited by JoB2C; 07-03-2014 at 05:58.
musosoft
Old 07-03-2014 , 06:36   Re: CS:GO failed to join session workaround
Reply With Quote #6

It does reconnect to steam isn't it? I thought only session needs to be renewed.
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 09-19-2014 , 15:30   Re: CS:GO failed to join session workaround
Reply With Quote #7

No go. "steamworks_sessionid_server" fluctuates for no reason. It can be 0 without the bug happening, or better yet, it oftentimes is just 0 and switches back the next second.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
mrazza
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-19-2014 , 16:08   Re: CS:GO failed to join session workaround
Reply With Quote #8

The issue isn't really steamworks. The steamworks connection can be lost (player skins go away) and the game is still joinable, right? We're worried specifically about the game coordinator.

I'm currently investigating hooking the game coordinator OnDisconnected and OnConnected functions and testing if they're a reliable source of information. So far they appear to be but I would like to collect more data first.

Co-Founder | altPUG, LLC.

Last edited by mrazza; 09-19-2014 at 16:11.
sejbr
Old 09-19-2014 , 16:40   Re: CS:GO failed to join session workaround
Reply With Quote #9

I've seen a plugin on one server that somehow checked if the session died and automatically restarted it if it was needed but I can't get a hold of the owner. Does anyone know how session availability can be checked reliably?
As Dr. Greg House said, "steamworks_sessionid_server" sometimes equals to 0 without bug happening and overall seems to fluctuate for no reason.
TheWho
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-19-2014 , 19:43   Re: CS:GO failed to join session workaround
Reply With Quote #10

Please forget steamworks_sessionid_server.
Valve have to fix it otherwise use the method with checking player connection.