Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D2] Fix Campaign Scavenge Finale Special Infected Bots Spawn fix/enforcer

Post New Thread Reply   

paul92
Old 10-22-2019 , 10:19   [L4D2] Fix Campaign Scavenge Finale Special Infected Bots Spawn fix/enforcer
Reply With Quote #1

Hello Everyone,

I'm opening this request because i recently found out that even in a vanilla environment, finale of the campaigns that have scavenge (which is Dead center and The Passing), Special Infecteds spawn not following the rules that usually applies in all other maps.

This is clearly visible because if you set each Special Infected limit to 0 (or if you use a plugin that does that), in these 2 finale the bots spawn anyway. Not only that, but they actually spawn in a large number! Up to 4 Special infected at the same time, and more than a single copy each (like i saw 2 hunters once) which should never be the case on campaigns.

Could someone maybe make a plugin that could fix this bug for the finale maps? Or a plugin that enforces the cvar values to be followed also on these 2 maps?

If someone has other ideas or has more experience about this 2 specific levels please let me know.

I'm asking this because the passing finale on Easy it's way too hard with so many special infected! It's ridiculous, and no matter what i tried (even other plugins that take care of spawning special infecteds and disabled the director spawn) it didn't work.
paul92
Old 10-27-2019 , 09:55   Re: [L4D2] Fix Campaign Scavenge Finale Special Infected Bots Spawn fix/enforcer
Reply With Quote #2

Ok, i went in depth with investigations and found out it actually doesn't necessarily happens with scavenge finale, it happens also on other levels, so i'm going through all the campaigns with z_(special infected name)_limit 0 to have them completely disabled, and recording on which map and on what specific point the director bugs out and start spawning them anyway.

It's a work in progress list, but i wanted to post it here since it could help in the meantime for others that wants to dive into this bug. Also looks like the Dead Center Finale is actually ok.

Incredibly enough, it looks like this happens mostly on Left 4 dead 2 campaigns, compared to Left 4 dead 1 campaigns.

c1m3_mall - Instantly
c2m1_highway - after motel, when on river near the end
c2m3_coaster - after starting the roller coaster crescendo event
c2m4-barns - after starting the final gates crescendo event
c6m3_port - After lift/starting the scavenge mode

I'll finish the list in the next days.

Last edited by paul92; 10-27-2019 at 12:42.
Lux
Veteran Member
Old 10-27-2019 , 10:03   Re: [L4D2] Fix Campaign Scavenge Finale Special Infected Bots Spawn fix/enforcer
Reply With Quote #3

Sounds like Directorvalues is giving you a headache, director values > cvar values, they will always ignore cvars if director values are present.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2535972 can help you remove them.

PHP Code:
HunterLimit=;SmokerLimit=; 
will remove them from table and obey cvar values.

Besure to check the valve wiki link on the thread.

Hope this helps.

Commission me for L4D
paul92
Old 10-27-2019 , 12:27   Re: [L4D2] Fix Campaign Scavenge Finale Special Infected Bots Spawn fix/enforcer
Reply With Quote #4

Mhm, so you are saying that on some specific maps or part of the maps the game sets director values that override cvar values?

But why? Do you know of any possible reasoning behind that? Would like to understand why they did this.

Anyway will definitely try to remove those values, thanks for your help! Will report here on how it goes.
paul92
Old 10-29-2019 , 15:34   Re: [L4D2] Fix Campaign Scavenge Finale Special Infected Bots Spawn fix/enforcer
Reply With Quote #5

Ok to report back. It worked!

At the beginning it looks like it didn't work in a consistent way... Eventually i found out that putting it on server.cfg doesn't work... You need to type it (or keybind it) and run it at the beginning of every new map. Any idea why it wouldn't work? Do you think of an idea on how to permanently stuck that line to avoid repeatedly trigger it?

Thanks for your help!
Marttt
Veteran Member
Old 10-29-2019 , 16:34   Re: [L4D2] Fix Campaign Scavenge Finale Special Infected Bots Spawn fix/enforcer
Reply With Quote #6

Well, I think that may be because the plugin is running only in the "OnPluginStart" event, which runs only once, not in map changes or rounds restart (something like this).
Old 10-29-2019 , 16:44   Re: [L4D2] Fix Campaign Scavenge Finale Special Infected Bots Spawn fix/enforcer
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul92 View Post
Ok to report back. It worked!

At the beginning it looks like it didn't work in a consistent way... Eventually i found out that putting it on server.cfg doesn't work... You need to type it (or keybind it) and run it at the beginning of every new map. Any idea why it wouldn't work? Do you think of an idea on how to permanently stuck that line to avoid repeatedly trigger it?

Thanks for your help!
Use the config it creates.
VScriptDirectorUnlocker.cfg

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul92 View Post
Mhm, so you are saying that on some specific maps or part of the maps the game sets director values that override cvar values?

But why? Do you know of any possible reasoning behind that? Would like to understand why they did this.
Balance at parts of the map, special events, quiet time before finales to prevent spawns anything you can think of.

Commission me for L4D

Last edited by Lux; 10-29-2019 at 16:46.
paul92
Old 11-02-2019 , 11:58   Re: [L4D2] Fix Campaign Scavenge Finale Special Infected Bots Spawn fix/enforcer
Reply With Quote #8

Ok thanks Lux!
It worked also that way

I'm trying to play around with that, checked the valve wiki for all the director values.

It looks like everything is working fine up until i change gamemode... Versus or Realism Versus (mutation 12) do not obey the MaxSpecials value. Always 4 bots spawn.
So looks like that director value you suggested is only for Coop and Realism.
Are you aware of a director value that could change the max number of specials for Versus and Realism Versus?
(Don't know if there are even different ones for Survival and Scavenge)