Post New Thread Reply   

DrFallen
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-07-2015 , 11:24   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenEX View Post
I see.

I'm still willing to offer some code towards the web panel though - if not fixes, improvements too, which is why I want to get into contact with him.

See, the server I used to play and moderate on uses gameME Stats but it costs money, which is why I am so willing to offer a free one, so I am offering my expertise to him.
Yeah, There other free stats plugins but I don't feel they are quite as good as HLStats or GameMe. Please go right ahead it needs a lot of fixes and updates ;P Fyi if you didn't know the owner of GameME is the original owner of HLStatsX.
lps
Old 02-07-2015 , 15:35   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
That isn't how the GPL works. It puts limits on distribution in that if you are distributing compiled binary files, you must also convey the source code used to build them. When hosting a website, you're not distributing any of that, and not under any such restriction. Perhaps you're getting it mixed up with the AGPL.
Possible, I'm still looking through different licensing options. I don't want a repeat of what happened to the original HLStats and HLStatsX.

FYI For anyone interest GameMe IS HLstatsX.

Also, once the front-end is done, i'll be re-doing the database to be compliant with development and naming practices. Once that is done I'll look into re-writing or modifying the back end. It will probably end up being re-written in Python instead of Perl.
Sarabveer
Veteran Member
Old 02-07-2015 , 15:45   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #13

I feel like an idiot now for switching to GameME, this webpanel, is awsome.
Old 02-09-2015 , 02:36   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #14

More Updates.

I'll also be posting the source code soon. I'd like to get the first version done and then comment the code and document it properly. After that i'll make the layout generic.

----

One thing I'm noticing is that the size of the database is going to be obscene. The backend / DB åneed a total restructuring and rewriting. I'm up to half a million kills and my frags table is 80MB.

Something I'm noticing about the existing DB structure is insane amounts of data duplication, and poor representation of data. Instead of using a roleID it's using a role name in the frags table. That's 10+ bytes for the role name compared to 2 or 4 for an ID.

----

I need to ask the community a favor.

In order to test this new software I need to collect as many logs as possible from as many games as I can. If anyone wants to send me their logs please PM me so I can give you the address to send them to as well as open my firewall to allow incoming logs.

Edit: Almost all of the top level Items have been completed. I'm trying to come up with better layouts for the Clan, Chat, and Countries.
- Clan will most likely remain a table
- Countries will be turned into a heatmap of the world that is zoomable using Google Maps API or some other API, I'm not entirely sure yet.
- Chat is where I'm having the most difficulty. Having a linear chat log where it's based on time and not based on the server is annoying. However with a large number of servers it's difficult to lay out each chat individually. I'm considering turning this into a server list with a count of the number of lines (first chat message, last chat message, etc).

Second Edit:
I just realized the stats for L4d2 are atrociously horribly inaccurate because HLStatsX doesn't account for bots correctly.. at all. Kills, Deaths, Actions, Roles... It's incrementing crap for bots.

Last edited by lps; 02-09-2015 at 03:53.
lps
Old 02-09-2015 , 06:36   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #15

Okay gents, looking at this code, looking at this code base.. good god almighty it is terrible. I can't hold it against the devs because it's been through a number of forks plus a number of people working on it and honestly it's from over a decade ago.

I'm considering taking this a step farther and re-writing the entire backend code and database structure. I only run L4D2 servers so I don't have any other log or sources to test with.

This is why i need the community's help. Sending me your logs would be awesome. I don't care what game type or mods. It will *NOT* be hooked up to anything that will write back to your server, it's simply for R&D and testing the new code.

The new software WILL be released under a CC-BY-SA-NC license. The reason for this is to prevent what happened with HLStats, it got turned into a commercial product and went closed source. Then got forked into the CE version, etc etc etc.

This will prevent anyone from re-licensing under anything that could become commercialized.
Sarabveer
Veteran Member
Old 02-09-2015 , 07:17   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lps View Post
Okay gents, looking at this code, looking at this code base.. good god almighty it is terrible. I can't hold it against the devs because it's been through a number of forks plus a number of people working on it and honestly it's from over a decade ago.

I'm considering taking this a step farther and re-writing the entire backend code and database structure. I only run L4D2 servers so I don't have any other log or sources to test with.

This is why i need the community's help. Sending me your logs would be awesome. I don't care what game type or mods. It will *NOT* be hooked up to anything that will write back to your server, it's simply for R&D and testing the new code.

The new software WILL be released under a CC-BY-SA-NC license. The reason for this is to prevent what happened with HLStats, it got turned into a commercial product and went closed source. Then got forked into the CE version, etc etc etc.

This will prevent anyone from re-licensing under anything that could become commercialized.
You could just put it under GPLv3. If someone forks it, they have to keep the license GPLv3
Old 02-09-2015 , 07:24   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabveer View Post
You could just put it under GPLv3. If someone forks it, they have to keep the license GPLv3
GPL allows for commercial usage. E.G. I want no commercial use of the product. Meaning I don't want people wrapping it up as a product and selling it. It's not what it's for and I keep seeing software go that route and it's terrible.
Sarabveer
Veteran Member
Old 02-09-2015 , 07:46   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
GPL allows for commercial usage. E.G. I want no commercial use of the product. Meaning I don't want people wrapping it up as a product and selling it. It's not what it's for and I keep seeing software go that route and it's terrible.
Even if they do that, they have to include the source when buying.
Old 02-09-2015 , 07:48   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabveer View Post
Even if they do that, they have to include the source when buying.
It only has to be made available upon request. Also they don't have to open source any in-house patches to the software that could be considered proprietary information.
Sarabveer
Veteran Member
Old 02-09-2015 , 07:50   Re: Developing New Web Interface
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
It only has to be made available upon request. Also they don't have to open source any in-house patches to the software that could be considered proprietary information.
No, any code added to GPL software has to be open. HLstatsX wasn't under GPL, that's why game me exists. I'm waiting for this new thing to be finished.