Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

ServerPlugin::ClientConnect

Post New Thread Reply   

imported_red
Old 01-16-2005 , 19:28   ServerPlugin::ClientConnect
Reply With Quote #1

Hi Everybody,

I am playing around with server plugings and tried to implement reserved slots for counterstrike source dedicated servers without kicking users that are already in the game.

When I had a look at ServerPlugin::ClientConnect( bool *bAllowConnect, edict_t *pEntity, const char *pszName, const char *pszAddress, char *reject, int maxrejectlen ),

I noticed that pEntity points to not finally initialized user-structure returning "null" on a playerinfomanager->GetPlayerInfo(pEntity)) call.

ClientConnect is the only position I can reject players without kicking 'em afterwards, but it's completely useless when I can access any information on the connecting player!!!

Are there any known workarounds?
XAD
Old 01-16-2005 , 20:51   Re: ServerPlugin::ClientConnect
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
I noticed that pEntity points to not finally initialized user-structure returning "null" on a playerinfomanager->GetPlayerInfo(pEntity)) call.
Why do you need playerinfomanager?? The only data you have at the moment is alredy in the ClientConnect arguments (f.ex you do not have SteamID yet, no stats...)

/X
BAILOPAN
Old 01-16-2005 , 21:10  
Reply With Quote #3

The client callbacks are quiet useless, you have, in the order they're called:
ClientConnect :: almost no useful info
ClientChanged
ClientNetworkIdValidated :: no useful info or edict
ClientPutInServer :: IPlayerInfo will be a corrupt pointer
ClientActive :: IPlayerInfo is valid, but ::IsConnected() returns false!

As you can see, it's not pretty...
Old 01-17-2005 , 05:29  
Reply With Quote #4

hmm, thats what I have expected - and never wanted to hear. shit.

... but thanks.
XAD
Old 01-17-2005 , 08:53  
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
hmm, thats what I have expected - and never wanted to hear. shit.

... but thanks.
Hmm, again... what info do you need in IPlayerInfo at that point?? Or at all for doing reserved slots???

ClientConnect : As the player is not yet authorized (as it must have a connection before doing it) you can only refuse connection based on name and IP...

ClientNetworkIdValidated : Have you checked that the edict doesn't have the SteamID set?? If you flag everyone that is connected but not yet authorized you can check the SteamID with the engine function...

ClientPutInServer : You now have the SteamID so now, at least you, can kick them if they have a bad authid (if it wasn't possible during ClientNetworkIdValidation)...

Whats wrong with kicking them at the two last steps above?? If the player is SteamID banned they will not be rejected at ClientConnect but later (as the server don't yet have the SteamID at that point). You kick with a reason so what so bad with kicking (reject looks similar anyway)??

/X