Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

If there was a national registry

Post New Thread Reply   

DJ Tsunami
DJ Post Spammer
Old 02-12-2017 , 15:00   Re: If there was a national registry
Reply With Quote #11

Through the years there have been many requests for a central database for SourceBans, but it just never made sense to us. Different communities have different rules, and SourceBans allows you to enforce your rules across your community. In addition to that we had SteamBans, a central database solely for cheaters.

SteamBans was created before SourceBans because of how long it took for Valve to issue a VAC ban. You installed the Metamod plugin (which I believe had the advantage of not needing to be open source), and anyone could record a demo of a suspected cheater and submit it to steambans.net. The staff, who were experienced in looking for hacks, watcedh the demo and decided whether to issue a ban. This made sense because communities couldn't write their own bans to the central database, you always had people you trusted that made the call.

However SteamBans was shut down in 2013, probably because of less people using it, needing a lot of staff to review demos, and the cost of running the system. Of course charging money will help with the cost, but it will also be a higher barrier to entry, and I think this can only be successful if a lot of people use it.

TL;DR What everyone else said.

Last edited by DJ Tsunami; 02-12-2017 at 15:03.