12% 

[CS2] Dedicated server help/advice

Post New Thread Reply   

Gogiv
Old 11-24-2023 , 20:07   [CS2] Dedicated server help/advice
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

I need a bit of help or advice since I am new to SRCDS

So, I run some 5v5 competitive servers for private games with friends or just having fun.
I run them on linux (debian 12 if matters)

My question here is how to start them so they can be running efficiently. Should I bind them with taskset each server to a core? 1 server = 1 core? I've readed some mixed comments that system should handle the it.

P.S - If you have some more suggestions or some more experienced user to share what's or some of the best practices to run a 5v5/competitive server.
Krelle1911
Old 12-04-2023 , 07:24   Re: [CS2] Dedicated server help/advice
Reply With Quote #2

There are no noticable benefit by using taskset on a linux machine for srcds.
Old 12-07-2023 , 05:14   Re: [CS2] Dedicated server help/advice
Reply With Quote #3

Thanks for the comment Krelle!

So lets say I have a dedicated server with 6 cores/12threads, how much servers can I run? The servers are competitive @ 64 ticks. Should they be 5 servers and 1 core for the system? Or I can get more from the threads? I assume 1 server per 2 threads or?
Krelle1911
Old 12-11-2023 , 17:24   Re: [CS2] Dedicated server help/advice
Reply With Quote #4

Hard to say when you do not state how much ram and core speed of the CPU.

But if we imagine that around 2GB ram is available per server, and you aim to host 10 slot competetive servers. Then I find it hard to believe that all servers will use max resources at the same time. So on a 3.5-4GHz/pr core system with at least 2GB of ram per game server, I would not hesitate to host 7 competetive servers.

If you want to ensure enough resources available at all times, I would limit myself to 1 server per core.

I used to run 8 CSGO servers, running retake mod, hosted on the Xeon equivalent to the 8600K, with 32 GB ram.

At peek period of the day, when 6-7 out of 8 servers were full, there were still plenty of resources left.

Regarding saving "system resources", if you fx host on a Ubuntu 18.04 or 22.04 minimal install, and only run srcds and maybe MySQL, it requires basically nothing to run the system.
Old 12-12-2023 , 04:19   Re: [CS2] Dedicated server help/advice
Reply With Quote #5

Sorry that I forgot to give system specs.
Cpu is the 3600x/5600x amd ryzen (6c/12th) with 32gigs of ram ddr4. I am running only srcds (nothing else) and monitoring a 1.1 or 1.2-1.3gigs of ram per server without GOTV. So 2 or 2.2gigs with GOTV and 10-12 players range should be fine I guess.

To be honest my aim is to get 70 or 80 player slots which is 7-8 servers per dedicated server, and 7 is really fine. Will be using them for country based community servers (private ones).

Currently with the default kernel (debian 12 os) everything feels okay in game. Should I recompile it or try to tune it? Or should I leave it as default?
More low latency or realtime means more good results or srcds isn't like hlds?

Thank you once again for the comments.