3% 

[ANY] How to properly switch team

Post New Thread Reply   

Benoist3012
Veteran Member
Old 02-11-2019 , 03:26   [ANY] How to properly switch team
Reply With Quote #1

Introduction:
This snippet is aimed at those not willing to use ChangeClientTeam due to undesired side effects, but still wish to change a player team. And without any crash!

How to find out if you're concerned:
If you're doing
Code:
SetEntProp(iClient, Prop_Send, "m_iTeamNum", iNewTeam);
somewhere in your plugin then this is monstrously wrong and you're gonna crash the server hosting your plugin in following minutes.
I was myself doing it and that's how I found how to fix it as well why I'm making this snippet
Here's a list of plugins I can think of that are/were affected by the crash(all from tf2 but I'm sure it's happening on other games):
How to fix:
Luckily the solution is very simple:
Code:
#define TEAM_CLASSNAME "tf_team" Handle g_hSDKTeamAddPlayer; Handle g_hSDKTeamRemovePlayer; public void OnPluginStart() {     Handle hGameData = LoadGameConfigFile("yourgamedata");         StartPrepSDKCall(SDKCall_Entity);     PrepSDKCall_SetFromConf(hGameData, SDKConf_Virtual, "CTeam::AddPlayer");     PrepSDKCall_AddParameter(SDKType_CBasePlayer, SDKPass_Pointer);     g_hSDKTeamAddPlayer = EndPrepSDKCall();     if(g_hSDKTeamAddPlayer == INVALID_HANDLE)         SetFailState("Could not find CTeam::AddPlayer!");         StartPrepSDKCall(SDKCall_Entity);     PrepSDKCall_SetFromConf(hGameData, SDKConf_Virtual, "CTeam::RemovePlayer");     PrepSDKCall_AddParameter(SDKType_CBasePlayer, SDKPass_Pointer);     g_hSDKTeamRemovePlayer = EndPrepSDKCall();     if(g_hSDKTeamRemovePlayer == INVALID_HANDLE)         SetFailState("Could not find CTeam::RemovePlayer!");         delete hGameData; } void ChangeClientTeamEx(iClient, int iNewTeamNum) {     int iTeamNum = GetEntProp(iClient, Prop_Send, "m_iTeamNum");         // Safely swap team     int iTeam = MaxClients+1;     while ((iTeam = FindEntityByClassname(iTeam, TEAM_CLASSNAME)) != -1)     {         int iAssociatedTeam = GetEntProp(iTeam, Prop_Send, "m_iTeamNum");         if (iAssociatedTeam == iTeamNum)             SDK_Team_RemovePlayer(iTeam, iClient);         else if (iAssociatedTeam == iNewTeamNum)             SDK_Team_AddPlayer(iTeam, iClient);     }         SetEntProp(iClient, Prop_Send, "m_iTeamNum", iNewTeamNum); } void SDK_Team_AddPlayer(int iTeam, int iClient) {     if (g_hSDKTeamAddPlayer != INVALID_HANDLE)     {         SDKCall(g_hSDKTeamAddPlayer, iTeam, iClient);     } } void SDK_Team_RemovePlayer(int iTeam, int iClient) {     if (g_hSDKTeamRemovePlayer != INVALID_HANDLE)     {         SDKCall(g_hSDKTeamRemovePlayer, iTeam, iClient);     } }

Gamedata (for tf2, I leave you find the correct team entity classname and offsets for other games)
Code:
"Games" {     "tf"     {         "Offsets"         {             "CTeam::AddPlayer"             {                 "linux"  "202"                 "windows"   "201"             }             "CTeam::RemovePlayer"             {                 "linux"  "203"                 "windows"   "202"             }         }     } }

More details on the crash:
In source MP games, each team is governed by an entity. Those entities contains an array of CBasePlayer *, of course when ChangeClientTeam is called everything is properly handled and the player pointer is removed from one, and added to the other. However some plugins want to move players to spec team but keep them alive, which is impossible to do with ChangeClientTeam even by changing the player alive state, as they will be forcibly be put in observer mode.
So most will do:
PHP Code:
SetEntProp(iClientProp_Send"m_iTeamNum"0); 
Which doesn't notify the previous team entity that the player is now gone, and doesn't notify the receiving team of the new player. And so when the player leaves the server, the game code will clear out the stored ptr in the last assigned team entity, but not in the team you forcibly removed the player from. And that's where the issue is as now the server will play with a garbage pointer.

Here's a piece code I reversed from TF2 server.
Code:
CTeam *pTeam = pOwner->GetTeam(); if ( pTeam ) {     for (int i = 0; i < pTeam->GetNumPlayers(); ++i )     {         CBaseCombatCharacter *pPlayer = pTeam->GetPlayer(i);         if ( pPlayer ) // This check passes "fine"         {             if ( pPlayer->IsPlayer() ) // Uh oh, we have a problem => crash             {                 if ( pPlayer->IsPlayerClass(TFClass_Medic) && pPlayer != pOwner )                 {                 }             }         }     } }
You can easily see why the server will crash as CTeam contains a ptr to a destroyed CBasePlayer object.

That's all, thanks for reading, hopefully you learned something or you knew already either way my job is done here
Old 02-13-2019 , 01:15   Re: [ANY] How to properly switch team
Reply With Quote #2

If the undesired affects you are referring to is the suicide, you can avoid that simply by doing something like the following:

PHP Code:
void ChangeTeam_NoKill(int clientint iTeam)
{
    if(
IsValidClient(client))
    {

int iEntProp GetEntProp(clientProp_Send"m_lifeState");

SetEntProp(clientProp_Send"m_lifeState"2);

ChangeClientTeam(clientiTeam);

SetEntProp(clientProp_Send"m_lifeState"iEntProp);
    }

Edit: I see that you state you cannot do it by changing the alive state. It has always worked for me.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; 02-13-2019 at 01:18.
Benoist3012
Veteran Member
Old 02-13-2019 , 03:55   Re: [ANY] How to properly switch team
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
If the undesired affects you are referring to is the suicide, you can avoid that simply by doing something like the following:

PHP Code:
code 
Edit: I see that you state you cannot do it by changing the alive state. It has always worked for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoist3012 View Post
However some plugins want to move players to spec team but keep them alive, which is impossible to do with ChangeClientTeam even by changing the player alive state, as they will be forcibly be put in observer mode.
So most will do:
PHP Code:
SetEntProp(iClientProp_Send"m_iTeamNum"0); 
Edit:
code reference #1
code reference #2

Last edited by Benoist3012; 02-13-2019 at 03:59.
PC Gamer
Veteran Member
Old 02-13-2019 , 12:54   Re: [ANY] How to properly switch team
Reply With Quote #4

Benoist3012, tried your code. Works great. Thanks!
ThatOneGuy
Veteran Member
Old 02-13-2019 , 23:34   Re: [ANY] How to properly switch team
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Your code:
Code:
if ( iTeamNum == TEAM_UNASSIGNED )
	{
		StateTransition( TF_STATE_OBSERVER );
	}
may not be the same as what I put. Perhaps consider testing what has worked for me in several plugins before stating it untrue. Ignorance is not always bliss... (though we all eat those words at times).
Old 02-14-2019 , 05:25   Re: [ANY] How to properly switch team
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Gamer View Post
Benoist3012, tried your code. Works great. Thanks!
You're very much welcome.
Old 02-14-2019 , 05:32   Re: [ANY] How to properly switch team
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
may not be the same as what I put. Perhaps consider testing what has worked for me in several plugins before stating it untrue. Ignorance is not always bliss... (though we all eat those words at times).
Staying polite, and fully reading what the snippet is about would show you why I made this snippet.
It's aimed at people who can't use ChangeClientTeam due to undesired side effects. Force death is something you can avoid with the code you sent but it is not enough to avoid forced observer mode or whatever else the game code might have.
Old 02-15-2019 , 13:51   Re: [ANY] How to properly switch team
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Staying polite, and fully reading what the snippet is about would show you why I made this snippet.
It's aimed at people who can't use ChangeClientTeam due to undesired side effects. Force death is something you can avoid with the code you sent but it is not enough to avoid forced observer mode or whatever else the game code might have.
I had thought that avoiding death was the primary goal. Great work finding a solution.
Old 02-15-2019 , 20:58   Re: [ANY] How to properly switch team
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
I had thought that avoiding death was the primary goal. Great work finding a solution.
Oh I just took this code part https://github.com/alliedmodders/hl2...pp#L7505#L7515
to be frank.

And yeah that's fine, perhaps I should have made the first post clearer.
Old 03-13-2019 , 10:43   Re: [ANY] How to properly switch team
Reply With Quote #10

For switch to spectator team, you can just use that :

PHP Code:
TF2_ChangeClientTeam(clientTFTeam_Spectator);
SetEntProp(clientProp_Send"m_iTeamNum"0); //Change client team to Unassigned team, you can choose any team exept spectator if you want
TF2_RespawnPlayer(client);
TeleportEntity(clientfOriginfAnglesNULL_VECTOR); //fOrigin from GetClientAbsOrigin and fAngles from GetClientEyeAngles
SetEntProp(clientProp_Send"m_iTeamNum"1); 
because with your method, we have to check offsets every updates

If you want to change team but not in spectator, just use this

Quote:

PHP Code:
void ChangeTeam_NoKill(int clientint iTeam)
{
    if(
IsValidClient(client))
    {

int iEntProp GetEntProp(clientProp_Send"m_lifeState");

SetEntProp(clientProp_Send"m_lifeState"2);

ChangeClientTeam(clientiTeam);

SetEntProp(clientProp_Send"m_lifeState"iEntProp);
    }

Last edited by Whai; 03-13-2019 at 10:50.