Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Which improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?

Post New Thread Reply   

daleGEND
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-04-2010 , 17:44   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
daleGEND, that feature is actually already done in zr-dev.

smfanatic, yeah it is easier to install ZM, but SM has so many benefits.
  • It's an admin base, that plugins can communicate with.
  • It has auto-updating gamedata. So if an update breaks a game, the SM dev's take a few minutes to update the offsets and then everyone auto-downloads it.
  • The API for us is amazing. We can do pretty much anything without needing to hack the engine ourselves.
  • The support is great, just go on IRC and there's always someone willing to help.

What are the disadvantages? Downloading an 8MB file and uploading to your server? If that's the cost of having all of the above, then who wouldn't do it?

As for your players preferring ZM, all I can say is ZR can take many many forms, and the ones you are running are what your players don't prefer. We have a user, Sandfly (earlier in this thread he posted), who maxed out his 64 slot zombie server for the first time ever with ZR. He used to run ZM from the very beginning. So I don't think that either one attracts more people. To be honest I don't think the people care that much.

And ZR does take a lot of configuration work, but what's wrong with that? That's what makes it so flexible. We are planning on simplifying the configs on the outside, but for users who want to spend time on what ZR can do for your server we'll have some kind of "advanced" section.

Anyway, use whichever one works for you. At least you have options.
Great news, have you guys thought about implementing your own noblock script? Would be 1 less script I have to worry about. I need a good script that noblocks players and grenades without killing moving objects/people.

Feel free to add me on STEAM as well: https://steamcommunity.com/id/b0r3d
smfanatic
Old 07-04-2010 , 17:57   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #22

I don't disagree with you. SM and open source is all most of could ask for..but I still think more people would use ZR if it was a self contained plugin. I love source mod and its useful for a million other things...but as a requirement for ZR to work means that anybody that doesn't need SM is forced to install it, configure it and run the risk of causing other issues with their servers. Along with potential exploits they may not have patched...and all that is before getting to the mod itself.

Don't get me wrong Zombie Reloaded is much more promising than Zombie Mod is at this point. I'm very grateful for all the work that has gone into this project and can't wait to see it grow even more...but I'm being honest when I say if it were its own plugin I think you would see a lot more people praising and using it.
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 07-04-2010 , 19:39   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #23

The biggest advantages about SourceMod plugins: platform independent and rapid development (easy language and feature rich API).

The SourceMod API contains a lot of useful functions and tools, like translations, cookies, database connections, and a keyvalue parser, all ready for use. I'd say that making plugins in SourcePawn is on a higher level than Metamod plugins which is written in C++. Although C++ is a lot more powerful, the SourcePawn language makes it really easy to accomplish a simple task in a plugin. And I don't see any reason to make ZR for Metamod yet. SourceMod is making it really easy for us. If we need more advanced stuff we'd probably write a SourceMod extension that ZR could use.

Zombie:Reloaded is a big plugin (above 40 000 lines of SourcePawn code). I don't know any other plugin bigger than ZR. The reason it's so big is because we bundle a lot of useful features that is related to or written for a zombie vs. human game.

The code itself is very simple. It's all just data structures and event logic that decide what to do based on the data, no hocus pocus. The most advanced thing now is the base plugin framework written by Greyscale that we're implementing in the development branch.

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby
Greyscale
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 07-04-2010 , 21:49   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #24

I see where you're coming from smfanatic. c0ldfyr3 is a more experienced programmer than me. I couldn't code ZR in C++ if I tried but I am starting college doing computer engineering this fall. Maybe I'll see about coding ZR in C++ on the side within the next four years but that's a while from now. I would love to challenge myself with a project like that..when I can. But for now SM is perfect for a novice such as myself.
Old 07-05-2010 , 02:46   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #25

My server moved from an old, slow and laggy 32 slot server running ZombieMod/Mani/SourceMod/+?, to an extremely capable 64 slot running Zombie:Reloaded/SourceMod. To make the transition easy for players I configured ZR to behave relatively the same as the ZM set-up. This was very easy to do as all of the options are right there in the configs. Lately I've been slowly enabling some of the new features that ZR brings and the players have been loving it.

From an admin perspective it's a dead simple decision for me. Everything runs great together under SourceMod and I see no reason to re-write this as a C++ plugin for Metamod. You will only end up having to deal with issues that SourceMod already takes care of (compatibility, error handling, etc). Not to mention starting from scratch when you already have a great thing going.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by GoD-Tony; 07-05-2010 at 02:56.
Greyscale
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 07-05-2010 , 03:42   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #26

Well of course we will continue development on this version, it's our baby.

If I ever did a C++ version it would be for my own experimentation and for anyone who wanted it.

Btw, I'm glad ZR worked out for you. It seems that ZR's weak spot is it's complexity. But that's debatable. Some users are looking for an easy upload and editing a few cfg files. ZM would fit that need, ZR is for people who are willing to take time and adjust to all of the options we have.

It's a choice between convenience and patience, I think.
Old 07-05-2010 , 11:18   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #27

Hey Greyscale have you ever thought about including your own noblock script into ZR? I have been trying to get a developer to make a half-way decent one that works with the new update but none of the developers have responded. Might be 1 more script to add to this all-in-one solution for ZM/ZE enthusiasts. Thanks!

Feel free to add me on STEAM as well: https://steamcommunity.com/id/b0r3d
NukeMan
BANNED
Old 07-06-2010 , 05:42   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #28

To developers: I would like integrated in the new ZR (may de in dev one) a prop make feature, like that made by Greyscale a lot of time ago, but with fixed props positioning at the aiming point and bullet/blast protect option. Also will be awesome a VIP (admin) weapons config.
And will be welcome dedicated admin flags that allows lower priority admins to use only defined zr commands, I did not found this, if it exists.

Last edited by NukeMan; 07-06-2010 at 05:58.
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 07-06-2010 , 11:12   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #29

Prop spawner: Doesn't belong in the ZR core, but could be made as separate plugin. That plugin only needs to know if a player is zombie or not, which can be done with the ZR API in the dev-branch.

Custom weapon config/restrictions per class: Planned and already started. It's far from done.

ZR permissions: We need to to some improvements in the admin permission management. I'm not sure exactly how we're going to do this yet, but we'll focus on flexibility.

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby
Darkthrone
Old 07-06-2010 , 13:57   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeMan View Post
props positioning at the aiming point
thus player can get into places where nobody can catch him
i would prefer spawn prop nearby, which already done in zprop plugin by Greyscale

Last edited by Darkthrone; 07-06-2010 at 14:00.